Little tip when replacing CCT's

General Bike chat
Pem Brooke

Little tip when replacing CCT's

Post by Pem Brooke »

Don't know if everyone will agree, but reflecting on me fitting my manual CCT's recently, I wanted to avoid the cam-chains jumping on the cam sprockets while removing and replacing all the bits.
So, once the valve covers were off, I simply put a cable tie through each camshaft sprocket and looped it around the chain and pulled it nice and tight...BEFORE I removed the old CCT's and chain guides. Left the ties on right until checking the chain slack (5-7 mm), then once all tensioned up, cut them off with a Stanley knife. Still checked the timing marks, but knowing that I removed a chance of a chain jump when the adjusters were out gave me a bit of comfort!

Might help fellow Stormers who feel that bit uneasy about the job!
Twist it 'til it breaks, then back off half a turn.... :eh:
tony.mon

Re: Little tip when replacing CCT's

Post by tony.mon »

You can do this if you want, but the advantage of setting them back up is that if the po has set one a tooth out you will correct it when you reset them properly.

Plus you're going to have to pull the cams out anyway, more than likely, if you do the valve clearances while you have the bike half apart.
I can't see the point of doing manuals and not checking valve clearances while they're there looking at you.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Re: Little tip when replacing CCT's

Post by fabiostar »

Pem Brooke wrote:Don't know if everyone will agree, but reflecting on me fitting my manual CCT's recently, I wanted to avoid the cam-chains jumping on the cam sprockets while removing and replacing all the bits.
So, once the valve covers were off, I simply put a cable tie through each camshaft sprocket and looped it around the chain and pulled it nice and tight...BEFORE I removed the old CCT's and chain guides. Left the ties on right until checking the chain slack (5-7 mm), then once all tensioned up, cut them off with a Stanley knife. Still checked the timing marks, but knowing that I removed a chance of a chain jump when the adjusters were out gave me a bit of comfort!

Might help fellow Stormers who feel that bit uneasy about the job!

thats the method i used.. mine ran fine. for about 5 mins before it sh1t itself lol.....oops
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: