Ye Ole Cam Chain Tensioners!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
W@zzA

Ye Ole Cam Chain Tensioners!

Post by W@zzA »

You lot have got me paranoid :!: Mine's a 97 bike had the 16K service late @ 18K I'm now on 21K and I can hear a slappin tappin noise, so I'm gonna do em Just for peace of mind and before valves get bent etc. Just had a flick through the honda manual theres nothing on straight forward tensioner replacement, only on cams head chain blah blah... (they obviously expect it to go bang before you change it). Is ther any way knowing when a cylinder is on compresion stroke when you lign up the FT or RT timing marks other than whipping off the cam covers :?: :?:
When this is established is it as straight forward as undoing the two allen bolts pullout the old tensioner then putting in the new one with a new gasket and torquing up the bolts :?:
Anyone know part No prices best supplier etc :?:

W@zzA.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Just posted a message on the other CCT discussion page and then read this, I got my parts from Chiswick Honda. The contact I had there was Will Lewis 020 8996 8100 e mail will.lewis@chiswickhonda.com

The tensioners are 34.61 each and the gaskets are 1.61 each.

He didn't seem to need chassis numbers etc and knew what I needed straight away (even though he never heard of them failing before :roll:

Del on the other page seems to know a heap more than everyone else about the job, might be worth asking him ! I know I won't be doing the job myself, as it sounds like I could end up with a very sick bike if I don't get the stroke lined up properly.

RQ.
jonacol

Post by jonacol »

Just done my front one after hearding the slapping rattle noise, but only at 1300rpm and also when the engine was hot. More noticable when on the overrun, ie slowing down in gear. Took me about 5hours in all, now I've done it it'll be a 2hour job next time(!). Cam timing was out on the rear cam probably due to me Richard around with it, winding the thing out and letting it ping back in. If you DIY u must check the cam timimg after!!!! Bought mine from Fowlers for 40quid, they had them in stock of course.
JonC
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

NOTE: Dont wombles with the cam timing if you dont know what youre doing, it will end in tears!

Oh and steve gave me a link to these people a while ago, definatley better than the standard tensioners.

http://www.debben.co.uk

They sell billet racing ones that can be manually adjusted, no nasty worn tensioners anymore.
WayneM

Post by WayneM »

[note to self: Andrews NOTE applies to you!]
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

bluegh it doesnt really matter now does it? :lol:
jonacol

Post by jonacol »

Re Debben manual tensioners, how often do they recon the tension needs checking with the manual one's then?
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

Jon,

that's the ones I have and they recon every couple of k, that's alot of work every 2k.

Del.
RQ

Post by RQ »

Del,

Eventually getting mine to the "back-street-guy" tomorrow evening, so I'll let you know what he says about setting the manual tensioners.

A good site that Stormin Ben gave me the link to is http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk seems to have all you could need at prices cheaper than what I have been paying. (but hey, you all probably know about this already, just me catching up late again!)

RQ.
W@zzA

Post by W@zzA »

Got round to doing mine today! Piece of Cake, except I had to use a chisel to get the cover off to get to the crankshaft nut :D
RQ

Post by RQ »

Did mine myself today ! Piece of cake ! (I hope)

The tensioner failing doesn't have much to do with it getting or not getting oil guys. The spring just breaks. Took the assemby apart and there was plenty of oil on the spring, it simply snapped. The newer ones aparently come with a tougher spring in it. Didn't bother unhooking all the hoses from the tank either (as Mr. Haynes tells you to do) just gave a mate a tin of beer and told him hold the tank up while I worked under it.

Del, asked my guy about the manual tensioners, he seemed to think that after 3 - 4000 miles should do it. He also rigged one himself from an original Honda tensioner by sticking a long bolt up the middle of the housing and he fitted this to a bike and hasn't had to check it for the last 10 months.

I have my storm back on the road, how long do you reckon this weather will hold out now !!??!!
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

RQ wrote:The tensioner failing doesn't have much to do with it getting or not getting oil guys.
Yeah the springs go rather quickly, its rather strange how most people find the front ones going first though isnt it??