Historic Brough motorcycles discovered in Cornwall barn.

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Historic Brough motorcycles discovered in Cornwall barn.

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L

Re: Historic Brough motorcycles discovered in Cornwall barn.

Post by Kev L »

Not yours then Chris? The one with twin rear wheels looks a hoot! Nice little earner as well :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I wish Kev, sadly not,

Chris.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

They didn't look like they were stored in a barn. They looked like there were dragged out of a hedge. I have never seen a tank in such a deteriorated condition.

I always wondered what Lawrence would have made of a modern sport bike? By all accounts he was quite the speed merchant.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Toasty...

Good luck with selling that at that price...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-15744616
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Big_Jim59 wrote:They didn't look like they were stored in a barn. They looked like there were dragged out of a hedge. I have never seen a tank in such a deteriorated condition.
You have to understand we live in a fairly damp climate in the winter months, especially down here in Cornwall. So for bikes being stored for 50 years or more in unheated buildings in the UK, they have done really well in surviving as well as they have. It's a credit to the quality of the metals used on these bikes that have allowed this to happen. I'm sure any of the Japanese bikes would have just been a pile of rust in those conditions in over 50 years of storage, well apart from any plastic bits of course :wink:
MacV2 wrote:Toasty...

Good luck with selling that at that price...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-yo ... e-15744616

Time will tell Mac. You could always buy one and restore it yourself, then it would reach it's full potential price, better than money in the bank :D

The one that interests me is the rare four cylinder bike, with it being only eight of these ever built. Now that is rare 8)
Among the collection is a four-cylinder Brough Superior. Mr Walker said only eight such machines were built, and the example found in the collection was the final one to be re-discovered.
Chris.
Pem Brooke

Post by Pem Brooke »

These things fetch serious money...even unrestored! Not sure if I'm right....but according to this piece there were only around 3,000 made?

http://www.broughsuperiorclub.com/pages ... y_menu.htm

If you look at auction results the restored ones fetch HUGE money...
Twist it 'til it breaks, then back off half a turn.... :eh:
countrymick

Post by countrymick »

if they were anything other than broughs they would be scrap a lot of work for somone but they will be worth a fortune when restored. :D
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

MacV2 wrote:You have to understand we live in a fairly damp climate in the winter months, especially down here in Cornwall. So for bikes being stored for 50 years or more in unheated buildings in the UK, they have done really well in surviving as well as they have. It's a credit to the quality of the metals used on these bikes that have allowed this to happen. I'm sure any of the Japanese bikes would have just been a pile of rust in those conditions in over 50 years of storage, well apart from any plastic bits of course :wink:
I am amazed at how quickly bikes deteriorate over there. I had been reading the horror stories posted here about stuck and corroded starter motors and frozen suspension linkage. I was a bit worried when i had a go at my own bike and found that everything was nice and clean and the bolts actually came out without massive persuasion. We usually don't get a lot of wet weather (except for this year) and hardly any salt on the roads.

Yes, Japanese bikes would have all but vanished under such treatment.

They will be worth a mint restored and they should fetch good money at auction, even in their current state.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Big_Jim59 wrote:
MacV2 wrote:
I am amazed at how quickly bikes deteriorate over there. I had been reading the horror stories posted here about stuck and corroded starter motors and frozen suspension linkage. I was a bit worried when i had a go at my own bike and found that everything was nice and clean and the bolts actually came out without massive persuasion. We usually don't get a lot of wet weather (except for this year) and hardly any salt on the roads.

Yes, Japanese bikes would have all but vanished under such treatment.

They will be worth a mint restored and they should fetch good money at auction, even in their current state.
Today the humidity level is slightly higher than normal for this time of the year at Cornwall in the UK where I am, but it's still around the 90% on average for this time of the year (winter).

This is today's

Chris.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

99% Humidity is like living in Houston, Texas except it is 109 degrees in the summer.

That kind of humidity can't be good for ya.

All that humidity must make fog a real possibility?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Big_Jim59 wrote:99% Humidity is like living in Houston, Texas except it is 109 degrees in the summer.

That kind of humidity can't be good for ya.

All that humidity must make fog a real possibility?
Yes spot on Jim, we get plenty of fog around this time of year. The problem is where I live, the coast is not that far from me on both sides, plus Land End is not that far away either. So any coastal mist or wind, we get it. Plus I'm approximately 153m (502ft) above sea level, so any low flying cloud we get that too. No it's not good for you, with my wife's heath conditions we'd be better off living in a warmer and drier country,

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Just to finish this off -
Brough motorcycle breaks world record at auction http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-36129038
Not a bad little nest egg.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Duck me they did well .
Wonder what will happen to them ?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L wrote:Just to finish this off -
Brough motorcycle breaks world record at auction http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-36129038
Not a bad little nest egg.
Cheers Kev for the update, not bad at all :thumbup:

Chris.