Why?

General Bike chat
freeridenick

Why?

Post by freeridenick »

Just read a tip in Bike magazine for removing ethanol from petrol. Easy as making instant coffee but what they didn't explain is why one would want to. Anyone know?
Ckennedy

Re: Why?

Post by Ckennedy »

Not sure if it has any effects on running but if you have a plastic fuel tank it causes the tank to expand and can cause bubbling in the paint. 1 of the downsides of owning a rsv or an older triumph like the 955i.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

Ethanol is corrosive to some seals and plastics it also absorbs water, I think it is more for older vehicles and classics, but if it stops water getting in by removing it may be worth doing before a winter lay up but I would just empty the tank
roger64

Post by roger64 »

The USA are on 20% ethanol and have a lot more problems than us at the moment as we are on 10% but I believe that UK will be going up to 20% shortly :redface Plastic tanks expand and rubber component will dry out and go stiff :D I have added a link to look at http://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en/ ... n-fuel-fit :thumbup:
Wanted yellow donor bike
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Interesting. That's my new thing for the day.

Removing it is simply a case of adding water, shaking until the water and ethanol bind then decanting the petrol off the top.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Very interesting. According to "Whatcar.com" ethanol is used to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but it also says it reduces power from petrol:-
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/new-e10 ... ts/1229022

Chris.
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

When I had a Triumph speed triple, the seal on the tank perished due to petrol ( oddly enough )
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

My Aprilia Falco had a non metallic fuel tank that "grew" over time as a result of the ethanol affecting it. I ended up getting a spare fuel tank as a back-up. The swelling was bad enough to make it really difficult to get the tank to fit back onto the tank and can get bad enough to damage the seal between the bottom of the tank and the fuel pump.

Al.