Fitting CCT's shortcut?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Watty

Re: Fitting CCT's shortcut?

Post by Watty »

Pete.L wrote:I wrote something on this once and to be honest most of the folk who have just pulled a tensioner and shoved another one in has got away with just plain old dumb luck.
There is a way to do it like this, safely, it can be done, but you have to know what you are doing. I didn't want to be responsible for people buggering their engine so I remove it.
The simple reason you shouldn't just remove the tensioner is the cam springs are too strong to let you get away with removing tension from the timing chain. If the cam lobes aren't in the right position the springs will force the cams to rotate as soon as the tension is released and your timing will move.

Do it right, do it once. Do it wrong :crazy: :crazy:
Pete.l
That last bit just made me chuckle Pete :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Soz!
I was ranting in my head as I wrote it and just wanted to lighten it up a bit at the end.
:D :D :D
I'm glad you approve, I'll go get my meds adjusted and calm down a bit :wink:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

I am at 11,650 miles(usa) and using the stock tensioners. Im planning on sending my bike to the shop for the recommended first service at 16k. When should i start to be worried about the CCT's? Was planning on having manuals fitted at the service time since the head covers will come off to check valves anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Pistonguy wrote:I am at 11,650 miles(usa) and using the stock tensioners. Im planning on sending my bike to the shop for the recommended first service at 16k. When should i start to be worried about the CCT's? Was planning on having manuals fitted at the service time since the head covers will come off to check valves anyway.

Personally I wouldn't wait.

My understanding is the reason they go is there is a lack of oil to the spring on the tensioner on the front cylinder due to the angle of the cylinder and the way it sits, seems to be a russian roulette, they can last a long time or go in very short order. Personally I wouldn't leave it another 4k miles.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

Maybe i will shedule the service this winter. Fitting manuals is something that a honda factory guy should be able to do i assume? I do most of my own work but i lack a garage, and taking the head apart in my driveway isnt something id like to tackle...

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Best check if the Honda mechanic will do it as it's not an official Honda fix for the problem. The niggle of OEM CCTs imploding isn't recognised at Honda HQ as a problem.

Why wait for him anyway as it's a 3-5 hours DIY job to install manual CCTS with comprehensive step-by-step guides in the workshop knowledgebase. Also a good opportunity whilst the airbox is off to fit a front cylinder vacuum take off plug and hose for easy carb balancing.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Pistonguy

Post by Pistonguy »

Im concerned about doing it in my driveway, as i dont REALLY have a good space for working, the recent burst in bike upkeep has mostly been due to good summer weather