Clutch misbehaving

General Bike chat
grinner1969

Clutch misbehaving

Post by grinner1969 »

Hi guys and gals
I've not posted for a while due to one thing or another, but hey I'm still standing.
Hope you're doing ok :thumbup:
Over the summer months I've been mostly going out for evening runs, nothing major, 20/30 mile blips here and there and loving the usual ride and throttle growl that the twin gives :D
However, over the last couple rides out I have come across a little (what the f*** ) issue :eh:
Imagine sitting at the traffic lights on an up slope, so you raise the revs, slowly ride the clutch, you think its easy pull away, then BAM! the clutch opens fully and you almost stall! So you pull in the clutch to save the stall, raise the revs, do the slow release of the clutch again and again BAM! You're off the line like Rossi with the front wheel in the air, WTF :Toilet1:
I am sure that just before I bought my twinnie I read somewhere that this is a common thing???????
Is this a problem that is common?
If it's not a common problem, would anyone be able to let me know how this could be fixed? (coz it scares the poo out of me when it happens)
Thanks in advance
Grinner :beer:
lloydie

Re: Clutch misbehaving

Post by lloydie »

Common clutch grab , most storms suffer with it .
The best thing about the btt is you don't need a lot of revs to pull away quickly.
I had an engine that would do it every time I tried to move off at 3.5k and it would send me down the road rather fast !.
My last engine wouldn't do it till 6-7k .
You just need to ride around it .
There is a cure but it's very expensive .
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

as lloydie said, keep the revs low and slip the clutch. if your revs are low, then it would suggest a problem.
I think it's an issue if you've come from an il4 where you keep the revs high and then dump the clutch, with a twin you'd be head butted by your clocks every time :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
popkat

Post by popkat »

You could try taking the sprocket cover off and cleaning the area where the clutch push rod goes through, also bleed the clutch. you may see an improvement it's worth doing.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
grinner1969

Post by grinner1969 »

Thanks guys, I thought I'd read it somewhere that it's a common problem. I'll give the low revs a try then when it comes to putting her away for the usual cold spell I'll take the cover off and try the bleeding, thanks again for the usual good advice :thumbup: