Michelin Pilot Road 3

General Bike chat
Salty Dog

Re: Michelin Pilot Road 3

Post by Salty Dog »

bazzashadow wrote:I have had my pilot 3`s on for about 600-700 miles now and I have to say that sometimes I go round a corner and it feels like the rear is fat or sliding.
EDIT: I have the PR4's but experience the exact same thing.

Yep, i get the exact same feeling!!! And i am at the same milage on the these tyres.
It is a very unnerving feeling too, it does it when you are not really expecting it, not even on the hardest or fastest corner, it might be a medium radius corner and you are going slowish, then all of sudden it feels like you have a flat rear or that the rear just moved 100mm across the road (like the axle feel out).

I thought it was just me.
But glad to hear others have noticed it too.

I have found myself mid way into a ride, looking over my shoulder and the rear end, wondering if something had broken, or if i had a flat, or anything really... Would then take it easy for a few corners, then push it hard again, and it would be ok?!?!

I'd pretty much put it down the Temp of the Day and Temp of the Road surface, but really, i had no proven answer as to why.

As mentioned by another poster, i touched a shaded white line with these tyres when cold and the bike just slid out from under me, causing my right leg to lift off the peg as i gathered it all up again.

The strange thing is, my riding friend has the same VTR1000 with the same PR4's front and rear, and he hasn't noticed a thing.
Then again, he rarely notices anything.
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2.
firestorm996

Post by firestorm996 »

Got PR3's on my storm. They're getting on a bit now, been on at least two years and have been around Europe plus done lots of commuting and motorway miles. Probably got about 9k on them at a guess. The only wet weather slide I remember having is when they were reasonably new, rounding an autobahn slip road there was a metal expansion joint. Didn't bother Tony on his GS up ahead but the VTR definitely stepped out a bit. In the dry they have been spot on as long as the pressures are kept about right. If the rear drops a few psi the bike wants to fall into corners. I run them at 33/36, I'm not the heaviest rider at 13st and I don't push the bike hard most of the time.

All this said, they are starting to lose their profile now. After doing a mini service earlier today I took her out for a 20 mile test and they are definitely starting to move about a bit easier now. I don't think it was 100% down to the tyres, road surface played a major part in it but it happened 2 or 3 times on different stretches so I didn't push my luck. Overall they've been a great tyre, when I replace them I'll go with PR's again.
Firestorm996
'98 VTR in black - road whore - track bitch
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

Salty Dog wrote:
bazzashadow wrote:I have had my pilot 3`s on for about 600-700 miles now and I have to say that sometimes I go round a corner and it feels like the rear is fat or sliding.
EDIT: I have the PR4's but experience the exact same thing.

Yep, i get the exact same feeling!!! And i am at the same milage on the these tyres.
It is a very unnerving feeling too, it does it when you are not really expecting it, not even on the hardest or fastest corner, it might be a medium radius corner and you are going slowish, then all of sudden it feels like you have a flat rear or that the rear just moved 100mm across the road (like the axle feel out).

I thought it was just me.
But glad to hear others have noticed it too.

I have found myself mid way into a ride, looking over my shoulder and the rear end, wondering if something had broken, or if i had a flat, or anything really... Would then take it easy for a few corners, then push it hard again, and it would be ok?!?!

I'd pretty much put it down the Temp of the Day and Temp of the Road surface, but really, i had no proven answer as to why.

As mentioned by another poster, i touched a shaded white line with these tyres when cold and the bike just slid out from under me, causing my right leg to lift off the peg as i gathered it all up again.

The strange thing is, my riding friend has the same VTR1000 with the same PR4's front and rear, and he hasn't noticed a thing.
Then again, he rarely notices anything.

+1