Front Fork Springs

General Bike chat
darrenmartin

Front Fork Springs

Post by darrenmartin »

Hi all, i purchased a set of K-Tec front fork springs off of the forum a while back and never got round to fitting them. Im enquiring as to if there are any 'garage days' in the Norfolk/Suffolk area coming up. Or if there is any one around that would consider giving me a hand to learn on the job and fit them with me. Ill cover any costs inccured re. travel ect. ect. No harm in asking! :thumbup:
Like Riding Thunder and Lightning
Cadbury64

Re: Front Fork Springs

Post by Cadbury64 »

I'm not sure this is a job that would require a lot of assistance. I assume you'll be removing the forks from the bike, draining, flushing and refilling with new oil, then installing the springs. Should be easy enough to talk you through that. If not, Cybercarl has written a good "how to " guide (so long as you ignore the bit about draining the oil into a stormwater drain...).http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=29710

You don't need much in the way of tools, but will need a way to support the front of the bike off the ground so the wheel/forks can come out. You may need to make new spacers to get the correct preload on the spring; PVC pipe with an OD of around 32mm is what you need.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
budd

Post by budd »

simply changing the springs is a pretty straightforward job, basically remove the fork top then the horse shoe retaining washer along with the spacer and washers and finally the spring, to refit reverse the process. However to get the best from your new springs I'd recommend changing the fork oil at least and preferably remove the damper cartridge grinding the damper rod and drilling a relief hole, this allows the forks to work much better with the new springs, if you search the site there is plenty of info on how to get the best from what is a at best a mediocre front fork. To be fair once tweaked the forks actually start to work pretty well, OK they may still be a little out of their depth on a track but on the road they fair much better and cease to be the limiting factor when you start to 'push on' a bit.
Unfortunately I'm not 'local' enough to give you a hand with it but hopefully you'll find someone who is but don't forget the forum is font of knowledge if you decided to tackle it on yourself you won't be short of help and advice to talk you through any issues.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

Get in touch with Roger Ditchfield and send him your forks and springs he will sort them out and at a very good price
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

carmanbikes wrote:Get in touch with Roger Ditchfield and send him your forks and springs he will sort them out and at a very good price
+1
If you can't get anyone to assist you Darren, that would be the best thing to do. All you have to do is remove the fork legs and put them in the post,

Chris.
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

many thanks for the advice guys. Iv done more work on this bike (thanks to all of the advice off of you guys on the forum) than any other machine iv had. Im not confident enough to tackle this particular job so ill hand it over to the pro's. I dont suppose off hand any of you lot know a 'ball park' figure ill be looking at paying for the job to be done would you? Also any one got the contact details of Mr Ditchfield so i could have a chin wag with him. Again, many thanks guys for your time and opinions. You lot never let me down :wink:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

have a chat with roger, if he was to supply the springs the whole job is about £225, but seen as you already have the springs it will be cheaper, give roger a call, the mans a magician when it comes to forks..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

and his number is........? :lol: will do agent, cheers pal :wink:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hi Darren,
Roger's number is:- 07970 915 259

His site:- http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk

Chris.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Rogers Forks are superb. a great mod well worth the money. you will notice the difference in 100 yds.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

Sweet...thanks guys and thanks for contact details 'sirch' :thumbup: