Bikes been sitting too long, now does not want to start.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
popkat

Re: Bikes been sitting too long, now does not want to start.

Post by popkat »

A float bowl full will come out, about halve a aerosol can capful. It only takes a tiny bit of crap on the needle valve to hold the float open, you might not even see it when you strip the carbs but if you clean everything up good and proper it should be ok. the worry if it's free flowing is that the fuel will flow into the valves through to the piston, from there it gets by the rings and into the crank case, now if you try to start it the huge mount of pressure will probably just make it stall but it can in rare cases ignite in the cases in which case it will cause big damage to the engine.. I have a VFR400 in my workshop at the moment that completely filled the crankcases with petrol, it's still drying out after 3 days, one of the carbs was green inside with one bore full of fuel, it happens, I'm hoping this one goes back together and runs ok.

You seem unsure and are looking for ways to fix without removing the carbs, if your not sure see if someone local on here can come and help you out, best to get it right.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Thanks.

Well, naturally taking carbs out, complex with lots of pipes and fuel is not something I'd want to do if there was "another way" hence me checking if there is another way, and posting what just happened in case someone says, "ahhh, if it's doing this, then XX needs doing instead"

So just making sure :) No point in cutting the patient open if it's just wind! :)

Never having done this (or disconnected tank / fuel ect) yes I am nervous about attempting it, in case I screw up.
I have a nice garage, with good light, loads of normal workshop tools etc, it's just the knowledge and experience in doing something you have never done before.
One of those, once you do it once and learned all the things you did wrong, the next time is easier I'm sure.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

The float bowl should empty along with the fuel in the line and then stop as the petcock should not let the fuel keep flowing until the engine vacuum opens it.
It is a bit of fuel but it shouldn't just keep flowing.
So you are also dealing with a stuck petcock by the sounds of it.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Removing the carbs for the first time can be intimidating but really is not a big deal.

See if there is someone local to you that can help or just post up and I'm sure you will get step by step instructions.....lol
After you have done the job a couple of times it is actually rather easy.

I can pull the tank, airbox and carbs and reinstall everything and have the bike running in under an hour.
I would say the whole job is usually under an hour but that is just a jetting change.
In this case, I would say it will take more time to disassemble and clean the carbs than it does to pull and replace them.

As for a quick fix......well you could try fuel system cleaner and tapping the side of the carb to see if you can get the float needle to free up but then it could stick again right away.
The only real fix is to remove them and clean :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

A hour! lol
I was thinking a whole weekend if I'm lucky!

Funny I thought the bowl that stopped was the bad one, when it's the other one.

Really if I do this, then I will need to do the plugs at the same time I guess, it would be silly not to at least check them.

The guy who had the bike before me, fitted Iridium plugs in, so am guessing they should be great still, but no harm to check for status, spark and gap I guess whilst you have better access. (to the back one anyway.)
I have lifted the tank up a bit and my 1st thought was, OMG look at all the hoses going into to tank :(
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Just been reading all your threads and in a nutshell it's carbs off and a thorough clean
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

i fitted an old tank on a running bike. It was off a bike that stood for years but i had drained it and refueled it. when i tried to stat the bike the symptoms were the same as yours. swapped the fuel tap over and sorted.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

alanfjones1411 wrote:Just been reading all your threads and in a nutshell it's carbs off and a thorough clean
Thanks, yes, that does seem to be the thing I need to do.
If nothing else, it does appear the float in one carb is stuck open.
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

StuartWags wrote:i fitted an old tank on a running bike. It was off a bike that stood for years but i had drained it and refueled it. when i tried to stat the bike the symptoms were the same as yours. swapped the fuel tap over and sorted.
Thanks.

Well, I shall take note of that, and bear it in mind. However, seeing as, on one carb (the right hand one, when sitting on the bike's - Drain Plug) when turn the screw the fuel keeps running and running and running out, as people have said here, the floats are stuck. I fear it's probably not just a tap, and, as people have been saying it's a carb off job.

I will admit, I'm confused (worried) about the number of tubes and pipes connected to the tank.
I was expecting, perhaps 1 pipe and 1 wire (fuel gauge) and that's that. But there seems to be a load of black pipes connected to the tank...... :(
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

''What is supposed to happen when you unscrew the drain screw then?''

An amount of fuel will drain out & then it'll stop flowing as the carbs are now empty.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
popkat

Post by popkat »

Take lots of photo's when you take the tank and carbs off, a good pic of the fuel tap area will help you locate the vacuum pipe on refitting.

Be methodical with the job, look at how the chokes attach, be careful with them, don't worry about the small coolant pipes just pull them off, they won't leak, they'll only do that is the bikes been running and there's still pressure in the system. do one carb at a time, don't mix up jets, use correct tools that fit well. you need to clean the carbs thoroughly do it right do it once...

The fuel tap may be stuck, when you remove the fuel lines it should not leak, don't bother to turn the tap off you don't need to, if fuel comes out then suck/blow on the vacuum pipe to free up the diaphragm...

This assuming you have an early bike and not an F2 with 19 litre tank, if you do then it's a bit more complicated but not much you need to unbolt the tap from the frame first.
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

popkat wrote:Take lots of photo's when you take the tank and carbs off, a good pic of the fuel tap area will help you locate the vacuum pipe on refitting.

Be methodical with the job, look at how the chokes attach, be careful with them, don't worry about the small coolant pipes just pull them off, they won't leak, they'll only do that is the bikes been running and there's still pressure in the system. do one carb at a time, don't mix up jets, use correct tools that fit well. you need to clean the carbs thoroughly do it right do it once...

The fuel tap may be stuck, when you remove the fuel lines it should not leak, don't bother to turn the tap off you don't need to, if fuel comes out then suck/blow on the vacuum pipe to free up the diaphragm...

This assuming you have an early bike and not an F2 with 19 litre tank, if you do then it's a bit more complicated but not much you need to unbolt the tap from the frame first.
Thanks. No it's not a late model.
Wish you lived next door! :mrgreen:
Tempest

Post by Tempest »

Ok, well tank drained (mouth full of fuel!) typical!

Tap turned off, the two pipes pulled off, managed to turn tank around and place where seat goes (without needing to pull any more of the dam tubes off!)

Air filter lid and filter off.
Air filter body off.

Now looking at top of exposed carbs.

Think I'm going to give up.
Too many things in there, pipes, cables, connectors. Just don't want to go there.
Have neither the knowledge, enthusiasm or confidence to do it.

Yes, I can rip it all apart, but guessing as I go, and no idea what settings and adjustments I will screw up if I carry on.

Perhaps just sell the bike as it stands at a low price, and just let someone else, who knows what they are doing, sort this.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Your not far from T.Mons he know a thing or two about pulling carbs off give him a shout...

Also Carlos Van TinFoilHat spends a lot of time in Guilford, again not to far...Try him...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
popkat

Post by popkat »

I'll give you £50 for it delivered to North Devon :lol:

Send Tony.mon or Cybercarl a PM as Mac suggested, hopefully they can help you out. I'd fix it for you but you'd have to get the bike to me, someone closer will help.

Was the tap flowing when you pulled the pipes off ?, As I said you don't need to turn the tap off, if it's working correctly no fuel comes out, if it does there's a problem with the diaphragm, they can get stuck and a clean can fix them.