Sprocket

General Bike chat
Vstormer

Sprocket

Post by Vstormer »

:D
Hi all,
Just changed front sprocket down 1 to 15. Makes completely different bike. Pulls off better with less clutch snatch and grunting and is so much more user friendly round town. Thoroughly recommend it.
:P
pricey

what damage then?

Post by pricey »

There are some clever bods out there, so my question is;

Why haven't we all made this change, as most of us complain about the round town riding, does it have any negative effects? Put any extra strains on the bike, cost a fortune to do? Invalidate the warranty?

:?: :?: :?: :?:
Yes, another Fireblade owner, but fug me she shifts like s**t off the proverbial and handles like a dream (wet)
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

Yup,
forgot to order a replacement 15T when the bike was serviced last month. The Honda boys fitted std and it felt less comfortable round town and like someone had filed his teeth down slightly on the acceleration front. :roll:
blackstorm

Post by blackstorm »

Positives = Much better accelleration 8O . The power seems to be more usable and easier at low speed :D
Negatives= Slightly lower theoretical top speed :? (Which most of us dont use anyway) The speedo reads slightly fast :?
Cost from Demon Tweeks for a 15 tooth front sprocket is about £12.00
Takes about 15mins to do the job
Not sure about the warranty situation as Ive never been able to afford a new bike :cry: .
No extra strain on the bike unless you start finding wheelies to easy and cant stop yourself :twisted: .
I'm on my second storm and have done the conversion to both of them having covered about 30.000 miles no probs so far :wink:
Hope this helps
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Is fitting a 15t sprocket fool proof? :?
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

.....and does the clutch actuator thingmyjig pull off to one side in one lump. Instructions for a layman please ! I seem to have lost the page ( as well as the plot) in mr haynes finest of manuals? :oops: :roll: :?:
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

vtrjock wrote:.....and does the clutch actuator thingmyjig pull off to one side in one lump. Instructions for a layman please ! I seem to have lost the page ( as well as the plot) in mr haynes finest of manuals? :oops: :roll: :?:
Doh!..........just read it properly......... :oops:
blackstorm

sprocket

Post by blackstorm »

Im not a mechanic but here goes.

1. The clutch release cylinder is held on to the sprocket cover by 3 bolts. Remove the bolts remembering which bolt goes into which hole as the bolts are different lengths. The release cylinder will come out as one unit ( no need to disconnect the hose) and I have found that it will require gentle wriggling to pull it away from the sprocket cover. Behind the cylinder is a paper gasket, if you are gentle you wont tear it and it can be reused. Once you have removed the cylinder dont pull on the clutch lever or the piston inside the cylinder will be moved out of position ( I use a tie wrap to hold the piston in place)

2. Undo the bolts which secure the sprocket cover and remove it.

3. With the bike in first gear or if you have someone helping get them to apply the rear brake then undo the nut securing the front sprocket.

4. Loosen the rear wheel spindle and move the wheel as far forward as poss. This will give plenty of slack chain

5 Remove the front sprocket and chain from the shaft.

6. Replace the sprocket with the new one. I found it easier to put the sprocket inside the chain, engaging the teeth and sliding the sprocket onto the shaft as one unit. You may want to consider the age of the rear sprocket and chain and replace them so that they all wear in together.

7. Redo the sprocket nut tightening it to 54nm Dont forget to check that you have included the washer that came of with the nut when dissasembling.

8 Replace the sprocket cover

9. Replace the clutch release cylinder

10. Readjust chain tension . I have never had a problem but just make sure the chain dosent foul on anything like the exhaust etc.

11 Tighten rear spindle nut to 93nm.

12. Book into a wheely schoool and enjoy

Hope this helps. Typing this was more difficult than doing the job
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

Top man sir!

Anyone know if the diference in speedo reading is negligible or noticeable, I only ask coz I'm surrounded by the filth's cash machines.....I'd hate to get jobbed whilst only running on impulse power!
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

The speedo will show slightly more than what you are doing.
So if it shows 40mph you may only be going 38 to 39mph. At least its on the side of safety.

A friend has a TLs with a 15t sproket and over 110 miles on my trip meter he had done about 112 to 113miles on his not much differemce.
BP team

wheelies?

Post by BP team »

HI!
1°) with a new sprocket, can we do wheelies without clutching up, just by an acceleration without putting the foot on the "passenger foot step"?
(don't know how to tell the "metalic bar" for the foot in english :oops: )

2°) with a new sprocket, what is the max speed in 2nd just before the red zone?

Oliv'
philsmith

Post by philsmith »

Can someone be so kind as to remind me what the Standard size Rear sprocket should be???

Cheers
Have fun & Ride Safe.
Phil.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Standard setting in the listings I'got in a Demon Tweeks catalogue are: front 16T rear 41T.
Drink to contentment not to capacity. I just haven't figured out which comes first.