what would you swap your storm for

General Bike chat
uk13iker

Re: what would you swap your storm for

Post by uk13iker »

lloydie wrote:
uk13iker wrote:Id consider swapping mine for a blackbird
Have you road one ?
Not rode one its just a thought in my head at the moment but as soon as some extra funds become available i ll test ride a few
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

uk13iker wrote:
lloydie wrote:
uk13iker wrote:Id consider swapping mine for a blackbird
Have you road one ?
Not rode one its just a thought in my head at the moment but as soon as some extra funds become available i ll test ride a few
They are great bikes . And with a few little mods go like stink and handle well too .
I love mine :-)
chric

Post by chric »

what way is it better than the storm
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
lloydie

what would you swap your storm for

Post by lloydie »

+,Roomier ,faster ,more miles to the tank , better brakes , smoother ,.
-,don't handle as good as kermit ,don't sound as good as kermit ,it ain't green ,soulless ,boring as standard .
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Lloydie,

You could always play the VTR soundtrack through some head phones when riding the bird, also loosen some bolts to get some vibration happening, or simply ride a VTR!

Where are you at with the Bird?
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

kenmoore wrote:Lloydie,

You could always play the VTR soundtrack through some head phones when riding the bird, also loosen some bolts to get some vibration happening, or simply ride a VTR!

:lol: :lol: :thumbup:

1st base, he's yet to brake out the ''special'' lube... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

kenmoore wrote:Lloydie,

I've got my viper cans on it now so sound a little better but it ain't no twin .

I'm itching to get on with the track bike build (vtr) tbh.
The bird it's ok as is for now but it's no sports bike .
I'm not really going to do much if anything to the bird tbh it's just a road bike. still undecided wether it's a keeper or a stop gap for something else
Big-g

Post by Big-g »

Think I went the opposite way
Restored Honda cb125s 1973 .
could not cope anymore with every time I looked at it
I saw something else that needed replaced
Sold it (at a loss)to afraid to think about total cost, just to get it out of site out of mind,
Used the cash bought a 1998 yellow storm smyle back on face
With change to play with
So happy ending to my cb125 story.
It's now sitting in a car showroom for public to enjoy.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Tell me you haven't jumoed straight to a 1000cc Vtwin from a 125. :eek2 If so please take it easy, especially in the wet.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Salty Dog

Post by Salty Dog »

cybercarl wrote:Tell me you haven't jumoed straight to a 1000cc Vtwin from a 125. :eek2 If so please take it easy, especially in the wet.

(:-})
Huh, i jumped straight on a 1000cc V-Twin from ...... ah, well, it was my first Road Bike :)
Spent a month being careful and learning, setting up suspension.... Then just rode up to a speed i was comfortable.
Have jumped on a few other bikes for a swap during rides, Yamaha R6 and GSX 1000 R, i'd consider the Storm to be a much safer bike then either of these weapons.

I will say, a mature mind and middle age has no doubt been the single biggest factor in being safe on a litre bike.
Or any bike really. Now with 3 years on the bike, and plenty of moments where we have been riding it like we stole it, i still don't think i want or need a modern R1.
Its just sometimes i think i do :)

As for the thread title, i dont think i would swap it, i'd just keep it and buy a different type of bike for the stable :)
3 out of 5 people are not the other 2.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

tbh and only my opinion, not many riders need much more than a Storm. I ride ok on roads i know and on twisty b roads that i know iam ok.

On a twisty road i don't know iam ok on my own but in a group iam crap (ish) if trying to keep up. Any tit can hoon fast on a motorway, or dual carriageway.

Lloydie my mate Brian had a Bird with a decent rear shock and he was a bit like Popkat, he just bugged off, and was inspirational ( good word eh!)

any 1000cc bike wont be slow, its how we are on em. just ride safe but have fun!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yep btt I'm getting like that now on the bird ,
Now I've learnt how to ride it lol
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

The birds are so smooth too. 100mph feels like 40. I went to France on his for 6 days and it was simply superb. He had a flip up screen and speed was not an issue it just went so well and the only reason we kept the speed reasonable was we had a guy on a CB600 with us. i think Brians had 72000 on it when he sold it. It was the carb model too.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

It'll happily sit at 150 all day tho mines a little more aggressive now I've dropped a tooth from the front sprocket .
Give me a year or two with it and it'll be a rite weapon lol .
I've got a full micron 4-2-1 coming and a few other mods too ,
I'm really getting on with it and this one is staying for sure .
Can't wait till Devon so I can stretch its legs a bit :-)
budd

Post by budd »

A mate of main as just bought a Ducati Diavel and although I was a aware of the Diavel I hadn't taken much notice of it, but on closer inspection it's proper piece of kit, it's a weird mix of brutal, industrial looks and super high tech.
This odd combination 'Mad Max' meets Star Trek works in a strange way, it's a love it or hate it thing for sure but now I've sat on one I'm leaning towards loving it, I'm tempted to book a test ride just for the hell of it. It's certainly in a class of one there's nothing on the market like it and with 240 rear tyre and 162 BHP what's not to like? Well the price for one the best part of £15K for the base 'Dark' version is a bit steep to say the least, but there is a lot of it so maybe it's not to bad.
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .