Nice, quiet motorbikles

General Bike chat
Bleh

Re: Nice, quiet motorbikles

Post by Bleh »

I like the 'Loud Cans Saves Lives' argument.
I've also heard the 'cars are so well insulated these days that you can't hear bikes anyway....' which is almost true too.

But here's how I got a £60 fine when I was chopsier and yougerer than I am now.

So I used to run an ART 'Race Use Only' can on a bandit. Nice deep tone at idle but made bit of a noise everywhere else. One day a copper pulls me over and says to me 'we've pulled you over because we feel the noise of your exhaust is excessive'. I swiftly replied with 'NO, it's not!'. He said he'd beg to differ and then informed me that 'Yes, you exhaust is excessive as me and my partner heard you coming from a distance and decided to pursue you to inform you if and when you passed'. My then 'costly' reply then was, 'that's my point, you heard me coming, you knew I was there... They're not to loud!'.

My point here is it's not just the people driving in the cars you need to make aware of your presence but people about to get into cars, crossing the road, cycling the road etc etc. The more people aware of you, the safer for you and potentially safer for them too.

Generally, the outcome is almost a six of one, half dozen of the other result. Some bikes sound lovely with standard cans on but as of today, my opinion is that all bikes should be made more aware to non-riders/ enthusiasts and a surest means to this is to offer no choice but to be aware of their surroundings and this is effectively achieved with noise, i.e. loud cans

I currently run Delkevic Stumpies and love them. Just recently taken baffles out and npw it has an additional rasp to it :thumbup:
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

My point here is it's not just the people driving in the cars you need to make aware of your presence but people about to get into cars, crossing the road, cycling the road etc etc. The more people aware of you, the safer for you and potentially safer for them too.
And that is a very good point. :thumbup:

Pedestrians/tourists are a nightmare especially when going down somewhere like Oxford St where there is traffic nose to tail, mostly buses. One travels down the centreline and pedestrians step out from in front of a big bus :eek2 Loud cans work well here. :biggrin

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

Tbh I think the same. My bandit I use for work is silent and I like it that way. Really load noise is annoying when I've just woken up.

The RSV on the other hand!
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

The argument about loud pipes will always be around.The bikes around the 60's era were all loud.It was the japs that introduced the quiet bikes.It is just a matter of preference,and loud pipes certainly do work while filtering in heavy traffic.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

I sold my Falco last Thursday night and the first thing that the new owner insisted on before riding it away was that the race cans be put on. :lol:

It sounded lovely but I recon from listening to his engine note that he was a mile away before he was out of earshot.

After that I stuck the baffles back in my Monster so I could take it to work which was fine but I had a half day and went for a ride in the afternoon. I got 60 miles before I had had enough and stopped and took the baffles back out for the next glorious 110 miles. :lol:
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Steve6088 wrote:Tbh I think the same. My bandit I use for work is silent and I like it that way. Really load noise is annoying when I've just woken up.

The RSV on the other hand!
Funny that Bandits seem to be going to work bikes.

My 1200 Bandit has a Delcivic can that is very quiet up to 7k rpm, then it howls. Nice for going to work or 2 up. We have a nice young family next door with a baby so Im happy to ride the Bandit out at 6 each morning. When taking the VTR I roll it out to the road before starting it.
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

Loud and Proud that's what I say , I have " Powertech" carbon cans on the storm
with baffles..rather unique, and yes someone can hear me around .
TTFN :thumbup: :wave:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I had to put baffles in my cans after rebuilding them, but then I had forgotten to put the baffle material in when rebuilding them.
I say forgot, sorry, that should be "forgot ".
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Did anyone hear the Jeremy Vine show discussion on Radio 2 last week about electric vehicles and the problems with lack of noise. People are getting run over because we rely on our hearing as well as sight. It's not only us but one I did not think of was horses too. Some guy rang up to say how an electric vehicle spooked his horse as it could not hear it approaching.

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Down here in the forest we have hire Cars called Renault Whizzys Their like a tandem style electric car.

The problem is their so quiet, Horses get spooked by their "whiry" noise and more people have been run over in Brockenhurst car parks as no bugger hears them coming. You might see them but it don't always register as there so quiet. Nissan also do a totally quiet "Leaf" thats got some people as well. Noise helps. Imagine doing things and making no noise ( go on Mac get imagining)! :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

bigtwinthing wrote: ( go on Mac get imagining)!
I can't imagine Mac doing anything quietly 8O
Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Oi you two WATCH IT !

Don't matter about noise, too many people these days are far to into there phones or music with giant headphones on, as is the fashion these days, that they dont hear cars coming...

I'm adept at spoting people like this on my approch to a left turn & I'm geting quite handy with the hooter, a quick blast of that soon wakes them up...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm geting quite handy with the hooter, a quick blast of that soon wakes them up...
So you snot all over them :lol: :lol:

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Bleh wrote: My point here is it's not just the people driving in the cars you need to make aware of your presence but people about to get into cars, crossing the road, cycling the road etc etc. The more people aware of you, the safer for you and potentially safer for them too.
That is a very good point, as Carl pointed out,

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:
I'm geting quite handy with the hooter, a quick blast of that soon wakes them up...
So you snot all over them :lol: :lol:

Just as well I didn't say 'horn' then innit... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...