WTF..

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fabiostar

WTF..

Post by fabiostar »

any ideas folks. put a new clutch in the bike last night. all went fine, new gasket on, bike fired up dead on .clutch seems good, then after about 4 miles i noticed the temp gauge went up and sat near the red :o . the fan hasnt cut in either but regardless it shouldnt be that high to need the fan. its always run very cold,, no oil in the water that i can see and no leaks. the l/h rad seems to be hotter that the r/h ?

also the overflow tank is at the max mark and the water in it seems cool.

any ideas
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Big-g

Re: WTF..

Post by Big-g »

Possible air in system??
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

its possible. i drained the r/h rad to get at the clutch and filled it when id finished. or at least i hope i did as honda see fit to put the rad cap where only fecking Et could reach
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Definite air lock scenario, did you fill her from the radiator after you drained it? Hope you aren't trying to fill the system through the expansion bottle :Whistle:

Start it with the rad cap off & keep a close eye on it when its running. The water pump should purge the system of air. You might have to wait till the thermostat opens but air should pass the thermostat through the little bleed hole it has pressed in it :thumbup:

Slight blipping of the throttle should produce air bubbles too.

Good luck :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Varastorm wrote:Definite air lock scenario, did you fill her from the radiator after you drained it? Hope you aren't trying to fill the system through the expansion bottle :Whistle:

Start it with the rad cap off & keep a close eye on it when its running. The water pump should purge the system of air. You might have to wait till the thermostat opens but air should pass the thermostat through the little bleed hole it has pressed in it :thumbup:

Slight blipping of the throttle should produce air bubbles too.

Good luck :thumbup:
i never touched the expansion tank and the level never dropped. think you could be rite about needing a good bleed.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

fabiostar wrote: i never touched the expansion tank and the level never dropped.
The expansion bottle only comes into play when the system is pressured, so you can ignore it if the level is good.

Just concentrate on getting the air vent at the highest part of the system. Patience is the key :thumbup:

Even if it takes you all day it's better than cooking the engine.

It sounds as if your having "One of them days" It might be a good idea to put it away & let it cool down.

Start fresh tomorrow after reading all the advice that is sure to come tonight :thumbup:

Tune into this http://www.manxradio.com/radioplayer/am/ & grab a beer & let yourself & the bike cool down :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

beer was indeed grabbed... after i got the bike homelol.. it does seem to be airlocked. top rad pipe is freezing as is the the top of the rads. got the rad cap of when it was warm and heard a good woosh of air so il run it in the morn and keep topping it up ... :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

cheers me dears. i found an airlock the size of wales and all is good in the world again.....and as an added bonus i should have my superlight flywheel to collect in the morn :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Spot on Vara and well done Big-G. Good to hear a positive end result.

And for further instructions on how to fill and bleed the cooling system off.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ck#p373723

:thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

fabiostar wrote:cheers me dears. i found an airlock the size of wales and all is good in the world again
Spot on :thumbup: glad you didn't cook it, as the weather is way too good to be stripping bikes down :D

How light have you gone? Also, don't forget to source a 22mm (fine(BSF)) bolt & a hum dinger of a spanner :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Varastorm wrote:
fabiostar wrote:cheers me dears. i found an airlock the size of wales and all is good in the world again
Spot on :thumbup: glad you didn't cook it, as the weather is way too good to be stripping bikes down :D

How light have you gone? Also, don't forget to source a 22mm (fine(BSF)) bolt & a hum dinger of a spanner :thumbup:
clutch working fine.

water working fine

and lightened flywheel just installed....brilliant mod. running smooth as butter and pulling like a horse :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: . i forgot to weight it ffs lol but the basket is 135mm and the weight 114......
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

fabiostar wrote: i forgot to weight it ffs lol
That's the problem with excitement :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Varastorm wrote:
fabiostar wrote: i forgot to weight it ffs lol
That's the problem with excitement :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup: