Oil Consumption

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
darkember

Re: Oil Consumption

Post by darkember »

Update on my diesel mineral all filled Storm. After 600+ miles no ill effects, no clutch slip, no visible consumption thus far. Gear changes are slicker. Temperature running between 65 open road and 78 round town. On the whole I'm a happy bunny and will be using it again.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Sorry Darkember. I'm still a skeptic. Come back after you have done 20,000 miles and then tel me how it's running. I put oil in my bike in the hope it will keep it good for the eighty thou Honda say it should be good for before major work is required. I can't see how a diesel oil which is designed to be used between 2-3 thou rpm on average, max of about 5 can do an engine which is constantly being used at 4-6 thou and has a top end of 10 any good.
Pete.l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Saintsman27 wrote:Well mine uses little oil if nought... however I have now acquired 2 new skills which I combine
together to read the oil level window on the VTR.. these skills are for 1 person..without wheel garage steadying
accessories....

1st. skill balance motorcycle upright equal and steady on flat ground and hold right side with left hand/arm whilst
doing ...

2 .skill ... bend down forwards whilst delicately holding balanced motorcycle so that the oil window becomes
visible as your head lowers and the oil level becomes visible... make sure the level is between the two marks.. make sure bike does not
tip to the either side to ensure a reading ...... Honda you could have designed and made oil reading better ...

what a performance :cry: .. phew ..

if requires oil ... repeat skills 1 and 2 ..

. solution get a m8te to help you... hold the bike .. :thumbup:
Or this (stolen from a post about 5 years ago)

3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Pete.L wrote:Sorry Darkember. I'm still a skeptic. Come back after you have done 20,000 miles and then tel me how it's running. I put oil in my bike in the hope it will keep it good for the eighty thou Honda say it should be good for before major work is required. I can't see how a diesel oil which is designed to be used between 2-3 thou rpm on average, max of about 5 can do an engine which is constantly being used at 4-6 thou and has a top end of 10 any good.
Pete.l

+1. Why would the oil mnfrs spend a fortune getting the right mix and formula if any old slippy stuff would do?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i pay about 1.2M for oil over the year for my engines ( NO not my storm) I don't believe that any stuff would do either. I could get oil free but still Pay for Oil for my Storm.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Bananaman

Post by Bananaman »

Don't forget most diesel oils are designed for use with turbo chargers, they tend to give the oil a hard time heat and pressure wise, I've used diesel oil in all my bikes with no problems at all! Well, when I remember to check the levels! :oops: shh Mac :shh:
Four wheels move the body,
Two wheels move the soul.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Bananaman wrote:Don't forget most diesel oils are designed for use with turbo chargers, they tend to give the oil a hard time heat and pressure wise, I've used diesel oil in all my bikes with no problems at all! Well, when I remember to check the levels! :oops: shh Mac :shh:
OK :wink:

Your secret of not checking your oil on a regular basis is safe with me, I wont tell a soul. At least it's got some decent stuff in it now... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
darkember

Post by darkember »

Bananaman wrote:Don't forget most diesel oils are designed for use with turbo chargers, they tend to give the oil a hard time heat and pressure wise, I've used diesel oil in all my bikes with no problems at all! Well, when I remember to check the levels! :oops: shh Mac :shh:
:thumbup: agreed on the high pressures and the VTR produces some phenomenal back pressure. Diesel oils also contain higher levels of phosphorus which is desirable in motorcycle engines. At a molecular level they are better able to withstand the shearing effect through the transmission. On the point as to why bike manufacturers specify certain oils. Well as far as I can conclude the manufactures and oil companies are in each others pockets making a killing on oil products that are no better or worse than the cheaper variants. After 1000 miles I will drop the oil and update this thread as to its quality and consistency. I know my usual Castrol oil will have become really thin by then.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

While I have heard good things about the diesel oils and don't see an issue with running them, I personally use Mobil 1 4T 10W-40.

I get the best shifting with it and as far as does it give good engine life.......

Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bigtwinthing wrote:I send in 68 oil samples a month for our work engines to an Oil analysis company for checking. I will ask then the difference between Good Diesel oil and Semi-syn bike oil and see what they come up with. It may well be interesting.
Paul, did you ever run that past your Oil Analysis company :?:

Chris.
Watty

Post by Watty »

tony.mon wrote:
Pete.L wrote:Sorry Darkember. I'm still a skeptic. Come back after you have done 20,000 miles and then tel me how it's running. I put oil in my bike in the hope it will keep it good for the eighty thou Honda say it should be good for before major work is required. I can't see how a diesel oil which is designed to be used between 2-3 thou rpm on average, max of about 5 can do an engine which is constantly being used at 4-6 thou and has a top end of 10 any good.
Pete.l

+1. Why would the oil mnfrs spend a fortune getting the right mix and formula if any old slippy stuff would do?
+1 Tony.
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

sirch345 wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:I send in 68 oil samples a month for our work engines to an Oil analysis company for checking. I will ask then the difference between Good Diesel oil and Semi-syn bike oil and see what they come up with. It may well be interesting.
Paul, did you ever run that past your Oil Analysis company :?:

Chris.

i have a meeting with them friday so after the BH i will let you know what he said.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Watty wrote:
tony.mon wrote:
Pete.l

+1 Tony.
Yes Pete rightly so, however you forget the turbo chargers are running at anywhere between 100000 - 140000 rpm and are lubbed by the engine oil so 6-10 k engine rpm will be insignificant
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Argh but what colour oil do you use as this can make all the difference. I recommend staying away from Teal :lol:

BWT it will be interesting to hear what your guys have to say after an analysis.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

I asked my Oil Analysis guy yesterday regarding Diesel Oil in the storm.

He said. As the Storm is an older design engine (from 1997 etc) it would probably be ok on say good van oil. Turbo Diesel oil is what he uses in his CB600 and has for years. He actually gets his from Halfords at about £11 for 5 lts. In newer engines ha would always use semi and never fully synthetic.

Its worth noting he does an oil analysis check on his bike just before an oil change and changes on the results. In the summer it will happily easily do 12000 miles, in winter not so long, something to do with shorter trips and warm oil etc.