VTR Down Under

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
Twitchy

VTR Down Under

Post by Twitchy »

Hi guys, as I posted in The Welcome Inn I have purchased a 2006 VTR1000. When I bought the bike, the clutch reservoir window looked a bit dodgy;

When I opened it up, the gel like sludge looked like this;

The brake fluid was not much better. Combined brake & clutch fluid in the same container looked like this;

Now this is what the PO told me was a K&N filter. As it has no markings whatsoever, I cannot tell;

And despite my best attempts, caused a bit of damage during carb removal;

These are the jets - 180 main, 45S slow(pilot) jet and emulsion tube. These are from the front carb, the rears are exactly the same;

And the slide control needle;

And the slide control diaphragm;

I do not actually have my unrestricted license at the moment, so am unable to try jets and test ride. But reading through the volumes of info on here, it seems having the same jets in both carbs is not necessarily the way to go. I realise the climate here is a tad warmer than The Isles, but I welcome any ideas from Australians, or anyone for that matter.

I have 3 months until I go for my big license, so have some time to get everything checked & replaced if necessary.

Thanks in advance for any info and tips, and thanks in retrospect for the BULK loads of info I have already trawled through!
Last edited by Twitchy on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638
MacV2

Re: VTR Down Under

Post by MacV2 »

Yep the looks like a K&N, if you take it out there should be 2x rubber bungs that fit over the little fillters that are at top left & bottom right of the air box.

Clean it with petrol & give it a light oil with a light filter oil.

IIRC normally you have to re jet when running a K&N so if the PO has done it correctly the jets wont be as fitted to a std bike.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
popkat

Post by popkat »

Filter looks like a K&N, also I'd say it has a dynojet kit fitted. why have you stripped the carbs ?, if it runs ok then just enjoy it, you'll get people saying dynojet kits and K&N's don't work well but I never had a problem with mine that was set up like that, it ran spot on.

That's not a firestorm master cylinder, I'd guess at VFR bars and master cylinders.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
macdee

Post by macdee »

hi twitchy

looks like a dynojet kit has been fitted to your bike , needles and jets are different than standard and maybe also the springs
standard needles are not adjustable

not sure about the filter ,with the filter off is their two small foam filters in the air box

the rear cylinder runs warmer and their is usually a larger main an there to help with the difference in temp this would seem to be the norm in
vees and in line engines
told you not to but oh no you knew better
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

These are from the front carb, the rears are exactly the same;
Not exactly...note the hole in the emulsion tubes are at different levels so one fuel slightly later

Looks like K&N filter and jet kit to me including the extra slide hole. I doubt the springs have been changed unless a US dynojet kit has been fitted. I'm not sure about the OZ kits but UK kits don't come with dynojet springs for some bizarre reason. We also get a smaller selection of mains to play with. Double check that they are actually dybojet 180 main you have there and not keihin. If they are Keihin then they should have a little K marking next to the number that looks more like a star than a K.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Here is a photo of the airbox exactly how it was when I pulled the filter out;

MacV2- no rubber bungs on little filters.

Popkat - pulling the carbs more to check the condition and whats inside. As the bike has only done 130kms in 2 years, and the aforementioned brake & clutch fluid, I would rather check and clean it all now. Plus it will not idle without the choke halfway out, and the fuel tank made me sick with the stench of old stale fuel.

Cybercarl - sorry, should have been more specific. The jets are the same in both carbs. I had already read about the different emulsion tubes. The 180 main does not have any other marking. The pilot jet does have the star type 'K' before the '45S'. I assume the pilots are standard then?

Was also going to do the PAIR removal. Does include blocking off the 2 tubes that are in the centre of the 2 small filters in the airbox as mentioned by MAcV2?
Last edited by Twitchy on Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

popkat wrote:That's not a firestorm master cylinder, I'd guess at VFR bars and master cylinders.
All the 2006's I have seen have the same clutch reservoir/master cylinder. Maybe an Australian thing?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The 180 main does not have any other marking. The pilot jet does have the star type 'K' before the '45S'. I assume the pilots are standard then?
180 dynojet mains by the sounds of it then. Standard pilots which could either be a 45 or 48 as which are the two popular sizes for these bikes. In case your wondering the S is for Slow. Pilots are also know as slow jets.
Was also going to do the PAIR removal. Does include blocking off the 2 tubes that are in the centre of the 2 small filters in the airbox as mentioned by MAcV2?
These are not part of the PAIR system and are part of the crankcase breathing. Have you got a later model VTR with the upgraded dash, 19l tank etc?

Looks like you are missing the two K&N rubber triangular block off's that fit in the corners under the filter then.

IIRC the later model (much later) VTR's came with flat brake and clutch reservoirs :think:

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Out of interest is your airbox being run without a lid :?: seeing as it looks like the screws are still fitted, unless of course you re-fitted the screws after removing the lid for safe keeping :)

Chris.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

sirch345 wrote:Out of interest is your airbox being run without a lid :?: seeing as it looks like the screws are still fitted, unless of course you re-fitted the screws after removing the lid for safe keeping :)

Chris.
:thumbup:
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

cybercarl wrote:Looks like you are missing the two K&N rubber triangular block off's that fit in the corners under the filter then.
Can you elaborate on these (pics)?

Are they possible to buy, or not really worth it now?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Without them ambient pressure wont reach the carb diaphrams. The block off's seperate the incoming ambient pressure from the pressurised pressure in the airbox. I have no idea if K&N sell them separately from the filter.

These are built into the moulding of a standard filter.

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

the last of the storms came with those master cylinders, looks like your bike has been sitting for some time and the PO didn't take good care of it, give the bike a good going over mate. as popkat said, if it runs ok, just ride it, otherwise you could end up with having the carbs cleaned changing the filter and all sorts.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:Image

Without them ambient pressure wont reach the carb diaphrams. The block off's seperate the incoming ambient pressure from the pressurised pressure in the airbox. I have no idea if K&N sell them separately from the filter.

These are built into the moulding of a standard filter.

Just to clarify this pic is of the K&N I have & I placed the bungs there to prove they are present, they are loose & unlike the std filter are not 'part' of the filter...

In theory If you can get hold of an old std filter you could cut the bits out you need IF you cant get the correct K&N ones.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Twitchy wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Out of interest is your airbox being run without a lid :?: seeing as it looks like the screws are still fitted, unless of course you re-fitted the screws after removing the lid for safe keeping :)

Chris.
:thumbup:
Ah I see :thumbup:

Chris.