Back seat stuck

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Miztaziggy

Back seat stuck

Post by Miztaziggy »

Bike now all back together and I think the cable slipped off the seat thing under back seat. Turning key doesn't release lock now and I have no idea go to get out without destroying seat and getting a new one :-(

I can't even remove back fairings as bolts at back are under seat, so looks like I either destroy fairings to get seat off or destroy seat and get a new one....unless anyone has any bright ideas please??
benny hedges

Re: Back seat stuck

Post by benny hedges »

it is a common issue.
it wont be the cable, they just stick a bit.
turn the key, push the seat down and give it a good whack downwards & toward the rear, directed just in front of the hump bit.... might take a rew goes but it will come off.
it's those pesky loops on top of the subframe
when you have suceeded in removing it, take a hammer and bash the 2 hoops forward 1/4" and it wont happen again.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Miztaziggy

Back seat stuck

Post by Miztaziggy »

I know what u mean with the loops and I have had that problem but this is stuck on the actual latch as the very furthest back part of the seat will not lift up in the slightest. Also I had trouble with that cable as I was putting it back together and wasnt sure that the cable was seated properly in it's little holder thing.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Ok, I have found this write up

http://www.1000rr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=75619

Sounds a similar problem to mine, except my cable isnt actually broken, it is just loose under the seat and isnt through the clip on the sub frame that it pulls against to open the latch. If it helps, it is something like this awful diagram below....
(well that doesnt work on the forum then, ill have to draw something and send a pic)

Can anyone take pictures of the underside of their seat and check if it is possible to drill like in that write up please? Need to know what is between the latch on the seat and the top vinyl cover, whether it is a metal plate or if it is just foam and plastic.

Maybe I can work out where to drill and do the same....I dont know.

Other option is I found a write up for the same thing on a gixxer forum and they said to use a coat hanger bent to a hook shape, could someone lift their seat and see how easy it would be to hook that cable with a coat hanger for me please and roughly where I would need to be poking to catch it?

Thanks guys
Miztaziggy

Back seat stuck

Post by Miztaziggy »

Can anyone help with a few photos showing cable position please so I know where to poke with the hook?
alec

Post by alec »

will these help mate ?

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
Miztaziggy

Back seat stuck

Post by Miztaziggy »

Yes mate spot on thank you

I assume that cable going over the swing arm is the one going to the key?
alec

Post by alec »

Miztaziggy wrote:Yes mate spot on thank you

I assume that cable going over the swing arm is the one going to the key?
yes mate thats the one
98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home Image
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

the catch is the elongated cutout on the right.

if you drill a hole from underneath approx where ive positioned that washer, you will be able to poke the L of an allen key toward the rear and hook the catch downwards.
you can fill the hole later with a grommet or a nut bolt & washers.

feel under the rear mudguard (unless you have a tail tidy!) feel for the larger rectangular recess, dead central about 2" forward, pop a hole about 10 - 12mm or so.
will take a bit of fiddling about but thats the way to do it without having to rip the tailpiece off.
Last edited by benny hedges on Mon May 09, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Miztaziggy

Back seat stuck

Post by Miztaziggy »

Thanks benny

When you say pull the catch, do you mean pull down on the latch itself as if pushing the bar on the seat through to open it?
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yeh use a small diameter allen key or a piece of coathanger or summat thin. it'll go.
just wiggle it about underneath using the pic as reference.
once it's off, fix the catch and knock the hoops forward a bit
Miztaziggy

Back seat stuck

Post by Miztaziggy »

SUCCESS!!!!!

Thanks for the photos guys, couldn't have got it without those. Massive help!!!

For future reference and in case anyone else does this, the cable from the lock has to go over the top of the bar on the subframe, like it does in alec's photos. Mine was under and there was too much slack in cable.

Shape a coat hanger like this

Lift seat at back end and hold it up with a 2cm square piece of wood or something.

Push coat hanger in here and push it down and toward back of bike

Lift it and pull it back out and repeat till you catch a cable. You will know it is the correct cable and not an electrical wire if when you pull, the key lock goes tight and you can't turn key.

It won't pop without removing piece of wood holding up seat, so carefully take this out while keeping hook on the wire...took me 3 goes to get it.

Lastly, turn the key and gently pull wire as you lift the seat. It should unclip and come right off.
alec

Post by alec »

good job mate glad the pics helped and you managed to do it with no damage now have a :beer:
kevg

Post by kevg »

if i remember right you can stand behind the bike, grab the front of the seat and if you pull it back right you can flex the seat up and pop it out from under the tank, takes a bit of effort but it unlatches the seat from the front and allows you to lever it out of the rear catches.
the other thing to do is bend the rear catches (loops) back slightly so they don't engage as much this stops it jamming.
cheerz

kev
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Miztaziggy wrote:SUCCESS!!!!!

Thanks for the photos guys, couldn't have got it without those. Massive help!!!

For future reference and in case anyone else does this, the cable from the lock has to go over the top of the bar on the subframe, like it does in alec's photos. Mine was under and there was too much slack in cable.

Shape a coat hanger like this

Lift seat at back end and hold it up with a 2cm square piece of wood or something.

Push coat hanger in here and push it down and toward back of bike

Lift it and pull it back out and repeat till you catch a cable. You will know it is the correct cable and not an electrical wire if when you pull, the key lock goes tight and you can't turn key.

It won't pop without removing piece of wood holding up seat, so carefully take this out while keeping hook on the wire...took me 3 goes to get it.

Lastly, turn the key and gently pull wire as you lift the seat. It should unclip and come right off.
Hi People, I CANNOT get the seat off. I've spent a lot of time searching the forum and this post seems the most promising but.... The images no longer exist. It's so frustrating....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)