what have you done to your "bike" today

General Biker Banter
8541Hawk

Re: what have you done to your

Post by 8541Hawk »

lloydie wrote:
8541Hawk wrote:
lloydie wrote: Thought when I started reading that you were going to order a engine refresh kit .
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm thinking about it but she is still running to good to tear down :thumbup:
Still not burning oil yet then ?

Not a drop.....lol well no more than a "normal" VTR in that she burns oil from time to time, then stops ( I now think this happens when the ring gaps happen to line up) and tends to blow some out during High RPM runs but other than that no oil burning.
The biggest thing I notice is it feels like the valve train is getting a little "weak" but a set of valves and springs would cure that....but then I would need pistons if I had the heads off....so it will happen soon :mrgreen:
Besides what would the kids around here do if I had a fresh engine..... :angel: :lol: :lol:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
TravisZack

Re: what have you done to your "bike" today

Post by TravisZack »

BrianC wrote:However I am a bit worried about how close the exhaust pipe is to the suspension - in fact it is touching - picture below
Have you got a shock spacer? I had to push for a little gap at the connection on the rear header, to lower the pipe a little. Just a couple of mm from butting up fully will do it. Might need to lose the bolts at the foot peg connection but it's not a problem, some aftermarket pipes don't even have the tabs to connect there, or so I read on here.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

8541Hawk wrote:
lloydie wrote:
8541Hawk wrote:

I'm thinking about it but she is still running to good to tear down :thumbup:
Still not burning oil yet then ?

Not a drop.....lol well no more than a "normal" VTR in that she burns oil from time to time, then stops ( I now think this happens when the ring gaps happen to line up) and tends to blow some out during High RPM runs but other than that no oil burning.
The biggest thing I notice is it feels like the valve train is getting a little "weak" but a set of valves and springs would cure that....but then I would need pistons if I had the heads off....so it will happen soon :mrgreen:
Besides what would the kids around here do if I had a fresh engine..... :angel: :lol: :lol:
Think they will need to learn how to ride to keep up !
Think my ring gaps are always Lined up ha ha

Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I placed another parts order online. (Sigh)
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote:
As Watty said, the yellow wheels look great Carl, they work well with the black paint work 8) Are they powder coated or painted :?:
Thanks Chris. Painted they are. Got them from Duffy in time for my MOT as the front was a bit dodgy after the Taxi incident.

(:-})
why didn't we fit some shiny brake caliper mounting bolts.... :roll:
we fitted all the nice and shiny bolts everywhere else on the front end....doh!!!!
we'll sort it out next time you come round mate... :thumbup:

oh and some mudguard bolts as well
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:
As Watty said, the yellow wheels look great Carl, they work well with the black paint work 8) Are they powder coated or painted :?:
Thanks Chris. Painted they are. Got them from Duffy in time for my MOT as the front was a bit dodgy after the Taxi incident.

Thanks Carl for the better photo's 8) 8)
At least you can touch up paint which could be an advantage on wheels, unlike powder coating.

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Wicky wrote:Meaning to do this for years, esp after cold dark winter nights when the charging system struggled to handle the strain of having both the headlight and heated grips on at once.

Followed a well Illustrated guide from Superhawk forum and got the whole kit new from ebay US as prices on second-hand MOSFET R/Rs here aren't much different in UK - No import duty paid as Jason kindly marked it as below the duty threshold and he also included full instructions. Easy to do as the only special tool I had to get hold off was an 'Open Barrel' crimper. Time taken for swap = 1 hour.

YAMAHA SHINDENGEN FH020AA REGULATOR W/CONNECTORS /REPLACES FH012AA > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-SHINDE ... 0705241034

R1/R6 Regulator/Rectifier Swap > http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/kn ... wap-14380/

Useful primer on Open Barrel Crimping on the connectors that came with it > http://www.xj4ever.com/crimping%20my%20style.pdf

All fitted and indicator relay moved aftwards

Open Barrel Crimps and pesky connector
I've been meaning to say a BIG thanks Wicky :thumbup:
It was your post here with the links etc that at last (like yourself I had been meaning to do this for ages) kick-started me into getting a MOSFET rectifier bought and fitted :D

Thanks mate :thumbup:

Chris.
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Image Got my Avon storm ultra fitted to my shiny black wheel
Gave back end a good clean, even polished the smooth bit of the swing arm
new wheel bearings also, however, tyre came a day late so C/Sprocket change postponed for a week
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Very nice , love the cans .

Yesterday and today I refitted the yoshi cams and removed the ignition advancer , took delivery of some very large main jets for lidless air box testing with the k&n filter tomorrow

8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Box #2 showed up today with my new springs....just a few more to go and it will be time to do a little work :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Removed side panels ready for a good drowning in ACF50 tomorrow when it gets the All Year Biker Treatment. Also fitted braided rear brake line.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Getting the bike ready for the season, so I got around to doing a few small things yesterday
- installed the LED voltage sensor; drilled out the hole where the "phony bolt" is on the stock cluster, and it looks OEM.... now I will know if my stator acts up....
- replaced the tip on my JDM shifter with a Woodcraft folding unit.....

to do:
- get tires installed on Dymag rims (bought protectors and special tire lube from Brock's Performance, USA BST importer) and install on bike (have spacers and new pads for calipers - larger CMC rotors; give the calipers a good cleaning too, as well as inspect the condition of the DLC-coated caliper pins...)
- install updated/modded carbs (will snap pics of my H-wing diffusers, if anyone cares to see....)
- remove shock and have it rebuilt (disassemble, clean, inspect, lube linkage); I plan on either reducing or eliminating the rear shock shim (presently at 5.3mm) to help give the bike a bit more stability...

and I'll end by wishing all my VTR bros and sisters a happy Easter :)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

H wing :thumbup: pics please .

Today I Went for a road test with the k&n (with lid)and cams.
I set the carbs up how I had them last time a ran a k&n as its a setting I know works and would be a good base setting to work from .

First impressions are
1200-3000 smoothish so pilots are ok need a tweak of the mixtures .

3000-7000 flat as a pancake with lean surges (needles too low,lean)

7000-10500 WOW sh1t myself pulls very hard and fast .

So next time I pull the carbs I'll raise the needles to richen them up to see if it pulls better from 3k .

Main jets fitted are 190s I did try no lid with 210s but wouldn't rev out so I'll get some 220-250s ordered when I can and try that again .

Another thing I noticed with these cams is the exhaust note ! It's a much softer deeper tone :-)

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

will snap pics of my H-wing diffusers, if anyone cares to see...
What do you mean anyone cares. Of course we care.

Happy Easter to you too Mik. :beer:

Lloyd is that Mik's old inlets or was it exhausts, I can't remember. Just don't let the sheep know you sh1t yourself.

==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yes miks yoshi inlet cams .:/) sheep [SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES]