pinlock insert

General Bike chat
bigtwinthing

Re: pinlock insert

Post by bigtwinthing »

sirch345 wrote:I definitely rate the pinlock visor insert too. As Mac, I've been using one for years. The only downside I find is if your out with a tinted one and it gets dark before you leave to come home, as they're not the easiest of things to remove (or I don't find them so, perhaps it's just me :wink: ), plus you then have to carry it somewhere. Apart from that I wouldn't be without mine,

Chris.

arthritic old hits like me struggle to change them, but there great.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

Great pieces of kit and once used, you'll never go back to conventional visors and anti-fog sprays etc (fairy liquid was always my choice :roll: ).

Do make sure the visor is Pinlock ready as some manufacturers supply both types for the same helmet(conventional anti-fog or Pinlock ready).

The inserts can occasionally be fitted slightly incorrectly but any tension can usually be taken up by rotating the Pinlock pins themselves with either a screw driver (if they have a slot) or very carefully with pliers. The locating point on the pin is slightly of center and gives you a 'cam' action as you rotate it. To check the seal, run the corner of a thin piece of paper all around the edge. If it gets past the seal, it needs adjusting slightly.
We do have a steady trickle of customers complaining that we have incorrectly supplied a tinted insert as opposed to clear and that we should correct this immediately. The pinlock inserts themselves are supplied with a very fine yellowy protective film that needs removing once fitted. :wink:

Reactolite inserts are cool but do not work anywhere as near as quickly in the UK as those used under say a much brighter Californian sky.
mattster

Post by mattster »

5 years ago I fitted one of the adhesive pinlock inserts into my Caberg helmet (as it didn't have pinlock holes on the visor).

I'm still using the helmet today - the insert is still stuck fast and works perfectly!!

.... Pity the seal around the top of the visor has come loose allowing water to fall down the inside. :crazy:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

@vtrjock Brilliant post. I never realised the pins where on a cam. That's well handy to know. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
-Floris-

Post by -Floris- »

cybercarl wrote:@vtrjock Brilliant post. I never realised the pins where on a cam. That's well handy to know. :thumbup:

(:-})
:Worship1: :stupid:
It's sad that, in our blindness we gather thorns for flowers
TravisZack

Post by TravisZack »

yep, pinlocks are fantastic, I have a light tint one that I use in normal weather, and a yellow tint one that I thought would be good at night, but actually I need a fully clear one for that. The yellow one is great when it's a little dull but not dark, I used it on a trackday and it helps with clarity.

Problem now is my glasses still steam up, but I want contacts so that will sort it.

(how many people have typed pinlock and had it autocorrect to pillock haha... "pillocks are fantastic!")
vtrjock

Post by vtrjock »

TravisZack wrote: Problem now is my glasses still steam up, but I want contacts so that will sort it.

(how many people have typed pinlock and had it autocorrect to pillock haha... "pillocks are fantastic!")
Yup, had a guy wanting to return one of the said 'tinted' inserts.He let is send as 'you have sent an incorrect pillock'. True story. :roll: