OE exhausts

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Dave H

OE exhausts

Post by Dave H »

Hi
Can anybody tell me if the downpipes or the silencers have changed over the years please. I have just brought some original ones for my 1999 VTR 1000 and they dont seem to fit, not much in it, but not quite right. I also have Harris rearsets fitted. Thanks for any help
Regards
Dave
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hi Dave H
:D Welcome on board :D
They haven't changed the exaust, they're just difficult to align properly.
Each one is fitted and banged in place with a big rubber mallet so dont be afaid to use a bit of brute force and belt em.
Most of the time I use plenty of grease on all the joints and get everything as close as poss with out doing any thing up. Once the silencers are straight tighten them up and then get the headers seated in the heads properly then do the mid section.
You may have to go back and forth between each bit of adjustment but you'll get there in the end and don't worrry about the grease and trying to make good gass seals it will soon burn out :wink:

Pete.l
Dave H

Post by Dave H »

Thanks Pete, Ill give it a go, I wasnt sure if the year models had modded the exhaust by a bit. the rearsets dont make it easy as the exhaust mountings dont line up and the headers and the cans came from different sources (ebay) so wasnt sure which bit wasnt right. but will try again. I need to get some quiteners for my full Yoshi system then I can put that back on.
thanks again
Dave