shocks that physically fit the storm that could be rebuilt.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Stephan

Re: shocks that physically fit the storm that could be rebui

Post by Stephan »

Buy new Nitron, Wilbers, or Penske from Roger, or used Ohlins, fully adjustable with remote reservoir for good performance. If you want it cheap, fit new spring matched to your weight. Or buy revalve or F4i from http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/vtr ... 1000f.html for mid price.
Other options I wouldn´t bother.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Always up for buying British .. website certainly paints a good story.. do fancy a remote preload or height adjuster for reason stated by AMQ its a challenge to adjust the standard shock in there ..
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I just realised I hadn't really answered your question "shocks that physically fit the storm that could be rebuilt" correctly.
A far as I know there isn't a shock from another bike in standard dimensions that fits the Storm. The problem is the length of the Firestorm shock,

Chris.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Well a shorter shock isnt a problem as the difference can be taken up with a modified clevis at the top. Whats more important is the travel or stroke of the shock is at least as much as standard firestorm shock so full suspension travel is possible. The rest is then surely just a revalving of the internals which is done all the time and an appropriate spring fitted. Custom valving would probably rely on the rebuilder knowing the firestorms linkage ratios and relating that to a set of valves that give the correct flow rates in the shock .. That's probably where the idea comes off the rails ..
But only because of a lack of lateral thinking perhaps ..
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Geordie wrote: Maxton do a complete reconfigure service where basically if you sell your bike and buy something different .. you keep your shock and they rebuild it with internals for your new bike and off you go ..
That's interesting I didn't know that. I wonder how Maxton get around the difference in length, with the Firestorm shock being longer than most if not all shocks :?:
Geordie wrote:Well a shorter shock isnt a problem as the difference can be taken up with a modified clevis at the top. Whats more important is the travel or stroke of the shock is at least as much as standard firestorm shock so full suspension travel is possible. The rest is then surely just a revalving of the internals which is done all the time and an appropriate spring fitted. Custom valving would probably rely on the rebuilder knowing the firestorms linkage ratios and relating that to a set of valves that give the correct flow rates in the shock .. That's probably where the idea comes off the rails ..
While I agree that all sounds quite possible, once you've had all that work done I'll be surprised if it works out any cheaper than buying a brand new Nitron shock that you know is going to work.

I know I'm talking up market Penske shock here, but for those of you who regularly adjust the preload, Penske added a thrust needle bearing that sit's between the adjuster and the shock spring, a nice touch I thought, much better than having metal rubbing against metal on each adjustment. Also the locking Allen screw in the adjuster has a nylon end on it so that the threads don't get damaged. Of course other shocks in that price range may be similar,

Chris.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Thats joined up thinking handy idea that would make me buy their stuff. Quite rare penske stuff is it not .. ill have a look at their prices actually .. are they american ? ..
As to the prices .. some people are quoting 150 quid to rebuild configure a mono shock and you can get for example ohlins shocks for other makes and models for 300 odd quid used and say 85 for a custom spring still comes in at well below the 954 quid for new firestorm ohlins. Maxtons are 650 odd nitron about 560 .. all inc remote preload. I know feels like im flogging a dead horse and plenty will have thought the same .. just interested to hear if anybody has in fact tried to do this with the storm ??
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

Geordie wrote:Well a shorter shock isnt a problem as the difference can be taken up with a modified clevis at the top. Whats more important is the travel or stroke of the shock is at least as much as standard firestorm shock so full suspension travel is possible. The rest is then surely just a revalving of the internals which is done all the time and an appropriate spring fitted. Custom valving would probably rely on the rebuilder knowing the firestorms linkage ratios and relating that to a set of valves that give the correct flow rates in the shock .. That's probably where the idea comes off the rails ..
Are you sure you would want to add the length to the top clevis?
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Dont see any difficulty in fabricating a longer mount that drops down the extra twenty or whatever mm to arrive at the top of the replacement shock and retaining the original suspension position. Folk already fit spacers of Six mm etc .. might not be everybodys cup of tea but Im always welding and fabricating bits and bobs for various bits of machinery we have .. dont see the top mount being the problem its all in a vertical plane in line with the shock. Unless im missing something? ? :-/ ..
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Geordie wrote:Dont see any difficulty in fabricating a longer mount that drops down the extra twenty or whatever mm to arrive at the top of the replacement shock and retaining the original suspension position. Folk already fit spacers of Six mm etc .. might not be everybodys cup of tea but Im always welding and fabricating bits and bobs for various bits of machinery we have .. dont see the top mount being the problem its all in a vertical plane in line with the shock. Unless im missing something? ? :-/ ..
you see i think stuff like that lol.. if it cant be done i kinda like to do it just so i can solve a problem in a different way lol.... that square peg wont fit in a round hole? and away i go to make it fit :thumbup:

iv already tried to make a kawa zx7r fit but its a non starter due to the shape...

next lol
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Yip .. love a challenge. . Just gotta be mindful of accumulating heaps of non compatible stuff that then has to be sold again. . :lol:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Geordie wrote:Yip .. love a challenge. . Just gotta be mindful of accumulating heaps of non compatible stuff that then has to be sold again. . :lol:
im a magpie lol i like to horde just incase i need something in the future lol
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

I was in no way knocking your ability to make the new clevis and I like the idea of making bits when you can, as I do myself, but just not sure creating a whole new theoretical point for the working of the suspension system is necessarily the way to go with it.

You could see the changes such as: Shock angle change, swing arm travel relative to shock compression, spring rate error, the shock may also not be working in a correct axial direction when the swing arm compresses it creating stresses, linkage and rising rate ratios are liable to change etc..

Here is a link to a place that does a non standard replacement that get high praise and you will see he has added the length to the bottom... this way it keeps the top mounting point in the the same place and then bike and shock geometry stays correct. It is an easy fix to look at and the better way to go in my books... maybe mail him and ask why he went this route instead of just making a new clevis?

As I say, not knocking what you can do etc but just voicing a concern ( maybe unfounded ) that unless the maths is done to check, that creating a new mounting point can change the bike in certain ways that could be detrimental.

Linky below and there is a picture then to help see what I am referring to:

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/vtr ... 1000f.html
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Geordie wrote:Thats joined up thinking handy idea that would make me buy their stuff. Quite rare penske stuff is it not .. ill have a look at their prices actually .. are they american ? ..
As to the prices .. some people are quoting 150 quid to rebuild configure a mono shock and you can get for example ohlins shocks for other makes and models for 300 odd quid used and say 85 for a custom spring still comes in at well below the 954 quid for new firestorm ohlins. Maxtons are 650 odd nitron about 560 .. all inc remote preload. I know feels like im flogging a dead horse and plenty will have thought the same .. just interested to hear if anybody has in fact tried to do this with the storm ??
I must say I was impressed with the extra's (as I have shown in the above post) from Penske. I think you're right Penske is American, and right again about getting hold of one for the Firestorm 2nd is not the easiest of things to do. They do come up for sale occasionally, and IMHO worth waiting for. The price for a 2nd Penske shock, plus getting it serviced (Roger Ditchfield Firestorm Guru at http://www.revolutionuk.co.uk/ serviced mine) and the cost of a weight related spring will mean you are ending up with a top quality shock for around half the price of a brand new one give or take a few ££££'s,

Chris.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

gl_s_r: maybe I miss something, but I don´t think there is any difference when you add shock height at the end or on the top of the shock. What only matters is total lenght of shock which should equal to stock unit.