manual cct front pipe red after ? help

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRDark

Re: manual cct front pipe red after ? help

Post by VTRDark »

What do the plug colours say say? What jetting is in the carbs?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
matty

Post by matty »

hi again , standard vtr front pipes , yeah don't know what to do , will keep plugging at it see what will turn up cheers john
matty

Post by matty »

I hi there cybercarl , it had a dyno jet kit fitted a few years ago , plugs are dark in colour , would need to re check the pilots they are 48 but cant mind what the mains were bike starts on the button idles evenly , surely if the valves were bent it wouldn't run properly , I don't understand why all of a sudden its running hot at the front , had 2 vtrs before , I did exactly the same as what I have done to this bike and had no bother , only difference is that this one has been dyno d and has race cans on it , unless I have done something that I cant see ? cheers john
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Check exhaust valve clearances on the front pot.
This can easily be caused by negative valve clearances.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I don't understand why all of a sudden its running hot at the front
Had the bike been running before the MCCTs where installed with no issues. So your saying that this has occurred only since.

OK lets go back to your first post.
when I am running it up for coolant the front pipe started to glow red I did the basic checks
Did you drain the complete coolant system then to do the MCCT, If so did you bleed it off of any airlocks? Did you follow the installation guide on here for the timing or some other source?
but the front is slightly off , removed both cams and re did setting
Which setting? Are you referring to the FI and FE alignment marks. I wonder if what you have done here is correct :think:

For filling the coolant system properly see the following
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ks#p349393

matty

Post by matty »

hi there guys , followed instructions from forum , for ccts also same applies to coolant change I ran up till fans cut in and that's when I noticed pipe going red , as for it being ok before , I don't know as only owned it for two weeks , and it had been off the road before that. the cam shafts are lining up at the front fe and fi at rear , crank window is showing ft , when I bought it with 20k on it I thought it would be best to get tensioners done and a service ready for next year but wish I hadn't bothered , am going to check compressions to see if that shows anything cheers john
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

the cam shafts are lining up at the front fe and fi at rear
Hmmm. There's the problem. Someone's dropped a magic bean inside. And going by this diagnosis, I expect to hear a fo and fum shortly....

:roll:
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

but the front is slightly off
And which one was moved as this may have affected the valve clearances depending on how accurate they where to begin with and how far out the alignments where and then corrected, which takes us back to Tony's post on checking the valve clearances. So I suggest these are checked. What's the mileage on the bike/engine?

Some links on valve clearances for you.
http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... clearances

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... 30#p351271

I'm not ruling out a blockage an/or airlock in the cooling system though. We never got an answer on the engine temp. Also did you bring the bike up to running temp when re-filling the cooling system or switch it off when you saw the glowing pipe.

matty

Post by matty »

hi guys a quick update , the bike was cold and ran up till fans cut in and topped up had a bike mechanic check timing etc all is spot on he will be back tomorrow to check carbs thinks ones pulling more fuel than the other so we will see what he comes up with also going to check valve clearances , bike only just turned 20k so it is a possibility he dosent see how by doing ccts would make it go negative clearances
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Did he do a compression test to rule out possible burnt or bent valve.

Any air leaks from inlet mannifold from the carbs not put on right or from rubber past its best by date?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
matty

Post by matty »

hi again just an update , valve clearances and all in spec , a couple just in spec compression test done rear cylinder 159 front 155 so no issues there , carbs stripped and checked no blockages etc mixtures set and when carbs balanced front carb was off the scale so they are now set up ran bike up for 10 mins and pipe goes very light red at top and rear pipe isn't , bike is now running sweet as a nut , thinking now is it a exhaust fault are the pipes double skinned ? poss a split in the inner pipe ! not sure now carb balance has made big difference so still not sure whats going on
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The mystery continues....I'm running out of suggestions now. Interesting how a balance has seemed to have made a difference. It would have to be seriously running lean to make a pipe glow Red so I don't think it's a fuelling problem. You would feel/hear it in the way the engine runs. Compressions are good :thumbup:

No the exhaust is not double skinned. Exhaust end cans do have a perforated tube running through the centre and should have packing material wrapped between this and the outside tube. Are you running standard header pipes and can's?

Beware if you plan on removing the header pipes you will have the exhaust nuts to contend with. It's like opening a can of worms if badly rusty and/or seized. Sadly you may have to go down this route possibly, if only to rule it out. Blockage in pipe maybe :think: :Shrug:

Thanks for the update, I wont to know what's at fault here.

Mmmm I wonder. Just had another thought. I wonder if it's an electrical fault on the ignition timing side. Coil/s, Converter Unit, Ignition Control Module. :think: Plugs should have some tell tale signs. We still don't know the plug colours. This should give some clues. And on that note have the plugs been replaced yet. It may end up being something silly like a faulty plug. They are cheap enough and being a service item anyway, one may as well replace them if only to rule them out. Back to the ECU's it would cost nothing to test these, do a swap or borrow spare units from a fellow stormer nearby if possible. Yet again if only to rule them out.

Try not to spend money on unnecessary parts replacements, borrow where you can. Find the fault and then replace. You could do with a fellow stormer for the day to do some part swaps for testing purposes/ruling out.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Something cropped up on another thread with similar symptoms. Do you have an early or later model vtr with the PAIR system. If so the PAIR would be an area to investigate. Also check the front vacuum. The bit I don't understand is that you say the bike runs as sweet as a nut and you would have some popping if this was the area at fault. :think:

jonjonsocal

Post by jonjonsocal »

cybercarl wrote:Something cropped up on another thread with similar symptoms. Do you have an early or later model vtr with the PAIR system. If so the PAIR would be an area to investigate. Also check the front vacuum. The bit I don't understand is that you say the bike runs as sweet as a nut and you would have some popping if this was the area at fault. :think:

x2 check your PAIR system, and if you dont have one make sure the plugs are in place and no crack on the little hoses that come of the side top to the bottom of the carb. I was missing a plug and was making my bike run lean, making one exhaust really really hot and now that I think about it front header might of turn red too... Good luck..
02 VTR1000f Red