cluch slipping

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Watty

Re: cluch slipping

Post by Watty »

I was thinking slave seals Tony but couldn't work out how that would cause slippage? Surely that would cause clutch drag and difficulty engaging gears?
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

i see through the oil cap, the plates, when I press the clutch lever the springs move and then (still not released the clutch lever) they come back to their fist state.
Mmm I just went and re read that a couple of times.

Your on the right track there Tony. To use non technical terms :lol: He's pulling the clutch lever in and while still holding the lever in, he can see the plates moving (slipping) back to where they started. So it's not clutch slip in the sense as I first thought.

There you go Theo e-diagnosis's in two months. :lol: I just seen the date in your first post. Or better still 24 hours since you started the thread back up.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Watty

Post by Watty »

According to the original post Carl it's slipping under hard riding!
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

When you disengage the clutch the plates loosen as the basket pushes against the springs/pressure plate, the only thing holding that is the hydraulic pressure. If there is a leaky seal you loose hydraulic pressure and the force of the springs pushes the pressure plate/ plates back in re-engaging the clutch. All this without releasing the lever if hydraulics is lost.

Mmm lets see what Theo has to say. Maybe a bit of confusion here as to the difference between slipping and dragging. Wrong terminology.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

Good day!

For the record. The clutch have been slipping from day 1 I bought the bike. From 4000rpm slipping like hell! Then I though clutch discs was the problem so I went to a Honda workshop and did the disc change and bleeding thing.

I didn't notice any clutch slip till I fixed my 180 off timing thing!!! Then the clutch was slipping above 6-7000 just when powers kicks in!

So, after some discussions and after noticing that in the first (old ones) plates were not so worn, also noticing that the lever pressure is strong and it disengages at the end of the clutch lever's way (out-releasing) I decided to change the springs, because I believe they're worn and not applying enough pressure on the plates. I just received barrett clutch discs :wink:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Theodio wrote:Good day!

For the record. The clutch have been slipping from day 1 I bought the bike. From 4000rpm slipping like hell! Then I though clutch discs was the problem so I went to a Honda workshop and did the disc change and bleeding thing.

I didn't notice any clutch slip till I fixed my 180 off timing thing!!! Then the clutch was slipping above 6-7000 just when powers kicks in!

So, after some discussions and after noticing that in the first (old ones) plates were not so worn, also noticing that the lever pressure is strong and it disengages at the end of the clutch lever's way (out-releasing) I decided to change the springs, because I believe they're worn and not applying enough pressure on the plates. I just received barrett clutch discs :wink:
If they're the Kevlar friction plates, they won't slip at all.
I'd also recommend fitting uprated clutch springs; failing that, new Honda ones. Springs always lose a bit of springiness over time.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

Theodio

Post by Theodio »

Sorry for the off topic, just my car and my motorcycle@ :cool2

I have on hand new barrett springs, next weekend I'll change them to be able to throttle freely :mrgreen:
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

Hey fellow stormers!

I'm having a sort of problem with clutch springs replacement. I've bought Barrett springs and today I wanted to
Install them. I've followed the manual instructions, removed 13 bolts, but the friking cover won't come off!!! Any ideas??
Thnx :sad2
lloydie

cluch slipping

Post by lloydie »

Tap it with a plastic mallet all the way round until you get a dull sound as the gasket is holding it together
Oh and did you remove the bolts from the water pump ?
As they hold it on too
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

There are couple of lever points on the front & rear of the cover to help get it off the engine case. Proceed carefully with something wooden or sumfink.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

I'm sooo happy to inform you all that clutch slippage is history!!!!

I replaced the old springs with my new barrnett i've bought, also replaced the clutch cover gasket and she runs excellent!!!!!! problem solved!!
I noticed that the old springs had a color like mustard yellow thing also they had a lot of free length difference with the neW!!! a lot!!! Something like 2-4 mm!!
Also checked the discs, were ok, no discoloration at metallic plates!!

And also!! the gearbox works very smooth now!! I cannot explain!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Aha!!!

Don't put mustard in the engine next time!!!!!!!!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Watty

Post by Watty »

tony.mon wrote:Aha!!!

Don't put mustard in the engine next time!!!!!!!!
Anything mustard/yellow in colour is bad news :lol: Glad you solved the problem mate :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Theodio

Post by Theodio »

To be honest, without the help received from this forum I couldnt make it!!

Thank you all guyz!! Keep up the good work!!
:beer: