Bike ideas

General Bike chat
bazza696

Re: Bike ideas

Post by bazza696 »

Miztaziggy wrote:So after the agony that was a bad back on a GSXR for 150 miles on Sunday, I have decided to get a second bike for comfort / touring / Op Storm trips.

Criteria:

- Has to be relatively quick, at least enough to keep up with Alistair on the Storm runs (and that takes some doing on the GSXR1000 believe me).
- Would quite like a twin just for the comfort of the torque / lack of gear changing, but a triple or 4 cylinder would be OK with enough power.
- Has to be comfortable, maybe even upright if possible. Something like a BMW 1200 GS or Ady's 800, however it can't be a BMW, I don't want to join the Panzer brigade just yet :D
- Budget of £3000 would be OK, up to £5k at a push but would have to be pretty special.

Ideas so far:
- I have looked at a Yamaha FZ6 (the totally unfaired sort) and quite like the look. Not sure they're going to be powerful enough.
- ZX12R will be fast enough but not sure it'll be that much more comfortable than the GSXR
- VFR same as above on the comfort
- Firestorm with flat bars - ideal but there don't seem to be many about and I just can't be bothered to do the mod myself
- Honda CBF 1000 seems pretty good, not sure on the comfort
If your coming to the Wales weekend, give the FZ6 a go, I should be bringing it instead of the storm. Very buzzy and you need to rev the goolies out of it to get performance, but once it's going your doing well over the speed limit.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

If Ziggy doesn't want a go on it I will :D

like to take the chance to try other bikes when I can, not looking for a new bike as I just keep modifying the storm to suit what I am after, but it is always fun to try something different.
AMcQ
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

your more than welcome, my only rule is "you break it you buy it" and also get me home somehow...:)
Firestormerz

Post by Firestormerz »

What about the Faber 8, I test rode one, comfy, upright and quick. They go for not a lot of money as they are not as popular as the fz1.
speedytractor

Post by speedytractor »

Come and join the dark side .....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Thanks for all the ideas guys.

I seriously looked into the FZ1 and really like it. I like the look of the FZ1N and like the idea of the full power R1 engine in it.

I know I said I wouldn't want a BMW but I saw the post above about the R1100S and I started looking at similar bikes, eventually settling on the K1200R.

I gotta say I really like the look of it. And I love the idea of 170hp and all that torque. Apparently they feel long, stable and comfortable. I think if I can bring myself to buy a BMW I will get one of these.
It seems to meet all my original criteria. It's hyper fast, massive torque, comfortable (according to reviews), upright and within the £5k budget.

Has anyone ridden one? Any opinions on how they go?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

you would want some wind protection to ride one any big distance, but they look bonkers :thumbup:
AMcQ
popkat

Post by popkat »

Be very careful, these were built at a time when BMW admitted poor quality control, expect a poorer finish than you would have thought along with other niggles. But worst is the ABS units have problems, when these go wrong it's mega expensive to fix, I'd steer well clear of this model and the later 1300, either S or R versions. Buyer beware !.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s