OP Storm SW Scotland mk2 Aug 8th, 9th 10th 2014

Get on yer bike and lets rumble!!

Moderators: AMCQ46, geodude

GreenEyedGecko

Re: OP Storm SW Scotland mk2 Aug 8th, 9th 10th 2014

Post by GreenEyedGecko »

Great! Looking forward to Friday then. :)
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Instead of going the usual route (Hawes - Sedbergh - Kendal), what's the chance we can go something like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/54.30 ... 62!1m0!3e0

Reason being, on the news I saw that the Tour de France went over 'buttertubs pass' and when I looked it up, it's the road north of Hawes. It's supposed to be really good for motorbikes, but I have never done it before.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Miztaziggy wrote:Instead of going the usual route (Hawes - Sedbergh - Kendal), what's the chance we can go something like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/54.30 ... 62!1m0!3e0

Reason being, on the news I saw that the Tour de France went over 'buttertubs pass' and when I looked it up, it's the road north of Hawes. It's supposed to be really good for motorbikes, but I have never done it before.
Buttertubs is class :D , recommend it :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Chris, Yes, I am up for that, I was watching TDF and had ridden some to the roads like Holm Moss, but not Buttertubs, so would be good to see it.

what about doing it like this longer route option and then we get the best bits of the A6 up out of Kendal as well. if the weather is crap or we are running out of time to meet Grumpyfrog we can do your route as it is shorter
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

AMCQ46 wrote:Chris, Yes, I am up for that, I was watching TDF and had ridden some to the roads like Holm Moss, but not Buttertubs, so would be good to see it.

what about doing it like this longer route option and then we get the best bits of the A6 up out of Kendal as well. if the weather is crap or we are running out of time to meet Grumpyfrog we can do your route as it is shorter
Yeah im up for that. I remember the A6 being really good, but can't remember which sections. From memory I would guess the bit after the short motorway stint was really good. Where was that section with the big cliffs to the side and the 120mph series of bends?

If the weather's not looking promising closer to the time, we can always make other plans.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

those bends are between Kendal & Shap, that's why I wanted to get back into Kendal............. not that anybody did 120 on them! :oops:
AMcQ
adyf

Post by adyf »

That route looks great Al ,but after hawes I think you and Chris and maybe lyndsey might want to go play ,I'll probably hang back and take in the scenery but pick you up at Kendal, so this gets a thumbs up from me.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

adyf wrote:That route looks great Al ,but after hawes I think you and Chris and maybe lyndsey might want to go play ,I'll probably hang back and take in the scenery but pick you up at Kendal, so this gets a thumbs up from me.
Don't think we will be going wild, I am guessing that over Buttertubs your bike will be the best suited :thumbup: and anyway we stop at every junction as normal.... wouldn't want the group to break up so early in the ride....

There will be enough time and good roads for playing as the weekend unfolds.

Oh and we are defiantly camping now as the house is booked for this week and next :? Mrs McQ did ask before she took a last min booking for next week, but we need to pay for the new windows we just fitted so the £450 rent won out.
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

adyf wrote:That route looks great Al ,but after hawes I think you and Chris and maybe lyndsey might want to go play ,I'll probably hang back and take in the scenery but pick you up at Kendal, so this gets a thumbs up from me.
Ahh no mate it looks quite twisty and relatively slow over the buttertubs pass, not fast. I would rather slow down and ride together anyway.
speedytractor

Post by speedytractor »

day, I would never leave you mate. Us tractor drivers need to stick together
GreenEyedGecko

Post by GreenEyedGecko »

That route looks great Al ,but after hawes I think you and Chris and maybe lyndsey might want to go play ,I'll probably hang back and take in the scenery but pick you up at Kendal, so this gets a thumbs up from me.
I would be ok with this. Don't want to slow down you hooligans lol :)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

My reputation as a Hooligan is spreading faster than I can ride :lol: :lol:

but seriously we will be keeping the group together and taking in the scenery [as long as its not low cloud and rain :( ] as we leave Hawes. tight & twisty roads covered in white paint from the TdF, and I have never ridden them before, sounds like we should engage touring mode :thumbup:
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

AMCQ46 wrote:M [as long as its not low cloud and rain :( ]

Uuugggghh...weather forecast for the weekend is dire. Rain in the Dales and up to Scotland on Friday and thunderstorms and heavy rain at Kirkcudbright on Saturday.

I hate to say it but if the weather is really bad on Friday morning and forecast for Saturday is still storms, I probably won't go. My textiles aren't 100% waterproof as I found out on this trip last year. I can't imagine anything worse than trying to get to sleep in a tent surrounded by my wet textiles that I have to try and get back into next day.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

it shows sunshine and showers on my forecast for Friday, and it will keep changing every day till we get there!.

I doubt we will get away without rain, but I think [hope] we will get some dry and sunny spells too, so its still worth the gamble.

Get a 1 piece over suit and get out there..............remember how the weather changed last time from torrential rain to sun, the weather on Galloway is famous for dramatic changes.
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

AMcQ