Kickstarter, tire pressure/temp/lean angle?

General Biker Banter
Hvornum

Kickstarter, tire pressure/temp/lean angle?

Post by Hvornum »

So I found this the other day..
Thought it might be interesting enough to share amongst fellow bike riders :)

Think i'll back (pre order/ this once the salary comes to the account..
If I can figure out how this doesn't completely fly off in 180+ or cause major balance issues on the tyre :P

ChrisC

Re: Kickstarter, tire pressure/temp/lean angle?

Post by ChrisC »

Or you could just check your tyre pressures on a regular basis, and not worry about temp/lean angle....I just enjoy my bike for what it is :thumbup:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Much cheaper...

http://www.bodyshop-tools-supplies.co.u ... wgodj30Amg

If they were any good don't you think Mr Rossi & co would have them fitted to their work runabouts...?

Mind you having said that Mr Hamilton & his buddies have tyre pressure sensors but I doubt they just fit to the valve stem... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Hvornum

Post by Hvornum »

Rossi probably would al tho this is a prototype and not yet in market.
Also MotoGP don't really have that much real-time data being transmitted?

Might be the nerd in me, but it would be nice to have tyre temperature at the very least, and seeing how I almost had an accident due to sudden air leakage from a nail (where the air was slowly leaking out the first 10 miles and then suddenly the nail just poped out and blew out the rest of the air) it might come in handy :P
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hvornum wrote:
I can see the advantages of having such a device fitted, but like yourself I also wonder how the tyre valve copes with the centrifugal thrust at speed with the sensor being attached to the valve end :?:
May be a metal valve would be more suitable for this than a normal run of the mill rubber valve.

I don't now anything about this type (see link below) but personally I like the idea of the sensor being inside the wheel/tyre:-
http://www.orange-electronic.com/en/ora ... _m202.html

Chris.
Hvornum

Post by Hvornum »

sirch345 wrote:
Hvornum wrote:
I can see the advantages of having such a device fitted, but like yourself I also wonder how the tyre valve copes with the centrifugal thrust at speed with the sensor being attached to the valve end :?:
May be a metal valve would be more suitable for this than a normal run of the mill rubber valve.

I don't now anything about this type (see link below) but personally I like the idea of the sensor being inside the wheel/tyre:-
http://www.orange-electronic.com/en/ora ... _m202.html

Chris.
True, that would be a better fit for sure.
Got a response from the company today, here's the question and answer:
Question wrote: As a concerned bike rider, how does this affect tyre balance and how does this not completely shred to peaces doing 180+ on a track? I mean it's built on a already soft/wobbly ait vent in the tyre that you can easily bend with a finger. Adding weight to it must surely bend the entire thing causing wear of some degree on the valve? Or even fly off causing a major air leakage? Are there backup systems in place?
Need to know before backing
Answer wrote: Hi Anton,
We are happy to see your interest in CycleAT.
I want to jump directly to your questions:
How does the added weight affect the balance of the tire?
The effect is very minor - CycleAT weighs only 30 grams (which we can half to 15 grams by reaching our stretch goal). How did we measure the effect of CycleAT? We ran multiple tests in two scenarios: (1) counterbalancing the mass of the sensor by adding standard tire balancing weights on the opposite side of the wheel. You can find those here: Autozone. (2) We also ran a few tests without counterbalancing to characterize the effect CycleAT has on the wheel and ride experience, as it turns out, very minor.
On a motorcycle, our test riders could not notice the effect of CycleAT.
Does it put additional strain on the valve stem?
Our preliminary durability and life cycle testing has shown minimal effect on the valve stem, but we are aiming to conduct more and more tests as we develop the product. We are also hard at work to bring to life the 1/2 size and 1/2 weight product that will only be possible with the help of supports like yourself. This smaller product would have a considerable less effect, more on par with Garmin and Tiregard products.
Are there concerns about detaching or failure at high speeds, 100+ mph?
We have conducted preliminary speed tests that have supported speeds up to 100 mph and plan to continue testing with our alpha testers at speeds of 100+ mph. Testing has shown great durability and functionality at these high speeds.
I hope I answered your concerns.
Please do not hesitate to reach out directly to filippo@rdv-labs.com
Best,
Filippo Decotto | RDV Labs
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

high speed rotation would worry me with this product, its clever as hell tho, it just looks to bulky for a motorbike, I really like the idea of being able to see your tyre pressures and temp, I will watch to see how this product progresses..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks for the feedback Hvornum very interesting :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm more concerned with Macs new name or does he wear a girly wig and ride a Yellow Storm now :lol:

I seem to recall a forum member having a device for measuring tyre pressures. It may have been one of our Eastern European friends. :think: I might see if I can find the thread later.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:I'm more concerned with Macs new name or does he wear a girly wig and ride a Yellow Storm now :lol:

EH ??? What new name ? I think you may be confused with Alison re the wig & yellow... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

MacV2 wrote:
cybercarl wrote:I'm more concerned with Macs new name or does he wear a girly wig and ride a Yellow Storm now :lol:

EH ??? What new name ? I think you may be confused with Alison re the wig & yellow... :lol:
Shut up Macy's, your a total actual bitch 8O
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Rossi probably would al tho this is a prototype and not yet in market.
Also MotoGP don't really have that much real-time data being transmitted?
It's been abbreviated :P I've noticed this in posts before I think Hvornum has got a bit mixed up.

Well I have had a brief search for the thread I mentioned but no luck.

==============================Enter the Darkside