Anyone a thermodynamics expert?

General Biker Banter
Bleh

Anyone a thermodynamics expert?

Post by Bleh »

I am wondering if anyone on here is a thermal energy engineer or works within a company that does a bit with thermodynamics.

The reason being is I will be beginning my final year in university (beginning of the end....) as of September and I want to do my dissertation on thermal energy recovery so looking to begin my studies now to make it as coherent as individually possible.

As always, thanks in advance. :thumbup:
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
lloydie

Re: Anyone a thermodynamics expert?

Post by lloydie »

If it's hot don't touch it !!!
Just saver you a year
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

lloydie wrote:If it's hot don't touch it !!!
Just saver you a year
Even if it has returned to its normal colour.

I have done that many a times :lol:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Watty

Post by Watty »

lloydie wrote:If it's hot don't touch it !!!
Just saver you a year
You're all heart Lloyd :lol: :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's not called KERS for nothing- although the spelling has changed from the traditional CURSE.

Red Bull, McLaren, and a fair few others have KERSed the rules.
However, energy recovery system shave come a long way, but if you end up developing the bike equivalent of the Prius Smug, I will kick you butt from here to breakfast.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

tony.mon wrote:It's not called KERS for nothing- although the spelling has changed from the traditional CURSE.

However, energy recovery system shave come a long way, but if you end up developing the bike equivalent of the Prius Smug, I will kick you butt from here to breakfast.
Shave? You been on the bottle again Tony ?

Sit's alwright I'm shober...Onnest...Hic...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MacV2 wrote:
tony.mon wrote:It's not called KERS for nothing- although the spelling has changed from the traditional CURSE.

Shave? You been on the bottle again Tony ?
Only my fingertipples....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Hvornum

Post by Hvornum »

It's already been done I reckon (or will soon be), Mugen Shinden probably has it or will have it on one of their bikes ;)
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

Am more interested in how to benefit a bike with the aid of thermal energy recovery. The pipes just waste massive amount of heat energy into the atmosphere. If an efficient system can be designed and implemented, the energy gained from the exhaust system could potentially be used in several ways, i.e. charge a secondary motor which could delivery additional drive when required... when racing and you would like a bit more say between a particular rev range, or provide assisted drive when motorway cruising and in turn saving on fuel etc etc

An efficient enough system could potentially replace the need of the stator making an engine lighter with less rotating parts and reducing friction and 'reduced masses' (a term that relates to a general increase of an objects weight due to its motion) increasing engine efficiency and everything that goes along with that.

Obviously, it's just theoretical jibba jabba at the moment, I plan to start doing some research and calculations next week and developing my proposal to present to the lecturers as soon as possible.

I'm not trying to change bikes in any way (but doing a motorcycle BEng, dissertation needs to be bike related) but thinking about what field of study could potentially benefit my career prospects once I finish the final year. There seems to be quite a few places that like candidates to have an understanding of thermodynamics and with there being more and more interest in renewable energy sources and us having heat in abundance, well, for the next couple of billion years at least, I think thermodynamics is a good route to explore.

This year, I think F1 are using two systems, KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) and HERS (Heat E R S). Would be nice to have a look at their heat recovery system but doubt they'll just happily let me walk in and ask their engineers a squillion questions :problem:
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

You lost me at ''Jibba Jabba''...I had a Star Wars related flashback.

:Saber:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...