Bottom end

General Bike chat
TonyW650

Bottom end

Post by TonyW650 »

Evening all,
As you all know my storm came off the road last year when it developed a ticky type noise from be the clutch cover somewhere.
Now I've only just got around to doing it as back still messing about and buying a Buell
So I drained the coolent and oil, took the water pump off and then shouted at the clutch cover as it didn't want to budge but got it in the end.
Pulled the clutch plates out, whats min thickness for clutch plates and thrust plates?
looked at the spring post and only appears to bear wear grooves in 2 off them.
I'm struggling to get the clutch center nut undone, but I will get it.
I was expecting to find play in either the clutch basket itself or the bearing for it, but cant find any decidable play at all, should there be play on the oil pump drive chain and if so how much if I grab the chain close to the oil pump drive I can move it outwards away from the drive pulley by 5-10 mm is that normal?
Pulley, been around Buell and Harley to much, Cog lol
Its got manual cam chain tenioners amd cam chain seems fine.
Any ideas?
tony.mon

Re: Bottom end

Post by tony.mon »

All seems normal, there's lots of play in the chain. It's a sprocket, by the way.
For min fibre and metal plates- see Haynes.
Spring marks on the spring posts is fairly normal, lots of them have these but not all. I was wondering a whole back if the grooves caused clutch grab, but I never got that one fully solved.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
TonyW650

Post by TonyW650 »

Cheers Tony, Sprocket I just couldn't think, been in Buell land to long!
So chain seems about right then, would I be able to feel play with the clutch basket, still in situ, if say the bearing on the back of the basket had gone?
their a very basic bottom end really, noise was coming from clutch side.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

(I'm not ignoring Tony W650, we had a chat on the doggun)
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
TonyW650

Post by TonyW650 »

Er quick one, which way do you undo the basket main nut lol
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

normal direction but it is feckin tight and has a punched in edge into a groove on the shaft to stop it coming off with vibration
AMcQ
TonyW650

Post by TonyW650 »

cheers mate.
got a mate popping round tomorrow to give me a help in hand as backs gone again, rephrase hes gonna get it off for me while I watch hehe!
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Mine has ticked and clacked for at least the last 30K miles with no issue other than noise once in a while....
Sometimes it does it other times it doesn't and on my bike with the damping rubber bits removed from the cover she makes a real noticeable noise when it happens...... 8O :angel: :lol: :lol:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
TonyW650

Post by TonyW650 »

Its just annoying me and I want to get to the bottom of it, it just started doing it one day.
I was planning on doing some work on it this year anyway so just moved it forward a little, powder coat frame, brace and powder coat swing arm, stick coils.
Modify fairings, got something in mind with them. cbr wheels etc....

I'm used to rattles, you wasnt to hear a Buell/rotax 1125r engine, god they are noisy, sound like loose nuts and bolts lol