Valve timing help

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
freeridenick

Valve timing help

Post by freeridenick »

I must have read half a dozen post about this and I'm still unsure, so apologies for the repetition - this must have been answered a hundred times before.

My bike had a new head on the front after the CCT went (story goes that the owner didn't notice the rattling and rode home only for the bike to die and refuse to start). The guy I bough the bike off replaced the head and set up the valve timing, but I thought Id double check.

Following the instructions on here for replacing the CCTs and the Honda workshop manual I checked the rear head first and all looks rosy. I managed to convince myself that the front was good too, but then realised I was turning the engine over the wrong way :oops: and then convinced myself that it was wrong.

So I'm clear: when RT is in the timing window the rear cylinder is at TDC when the cams are facing in and up https://www.dropbox.com/s/xn2y1atorlg1q ... .50.34.jpg
11/4 turns later FT is in the timing window and the front cylinder cams are facing out and slightly up
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ucmf2ca9pagn ... sMnM2kD2Xa sorry about the angle of the pic.

What got me doubting myself was the front cams not pointing at the same angle as the rear ones and the marks on the spockets not being as inline as the rear ones. Am I on the right track?

I'm planning on replacing the CCTs with manual ones, probably Kreiger, so I can fix it then if the timing is out.
VTRDark

Re: Valve timing help

Post by VTRDark »

Yep that looks good. As for the marks on the front cam sprockets how out is out as you may have to account for a bit of chain stretch which could leave you halt a tooth out which is perfectly fine.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Thanks for that.

I'd guess it could be chain stretch, but I'm under the impression the chain on the front pot is new and never been run.

I'll go through the whole process again and double and triple check. If the front cams should only point upwards a little (the rear ones are far more vertical) then I'm more confident.

The main issue was with the FI cam and the mark looked to be slightly above the line of the cylinder head. Could have just been the angle I was looking at it since the bike was on it's side stand. When I fit the manual CCTs I should be able to keep the tension on the exhaust cam and rotate the inlet cam one tooth to see how far out it is shouldn't I?

Is it advisable to replace the rubber gaskets now both heads have been off, or should I just refit them with more sealant when I'm certain the timing is correct?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

cam cover seals are built to be reused, don't even need sealant
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Ta. Belt and braces advice from the Honda manual then.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

cam cover seals are built to be reused, don't even need sealant
Though a little high temp silicone or liquid gasket sealant helps to hold it in place. Especially the front cylinder. The slightest misalignment and you will get an oil leak. Make sure it sits in the groove around the base of a cam cover correctly.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

Just remember the FT marker will pass the timing window and the correct TDC will be on its second passing.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

freeridenick wrote:Thanks for that.

I'd guess it could be chain stretch, but I'm under the impression the chain on the front pot is new and never been run.
Why?
Unless you have a reciept for it, it's likely to have been reused- they aren't damaged by a cct failure, and it's a bit of extra work to fit one.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.