Advice on undertray installation please...?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Bleh

Advice on undertray installation please...?

Post by Bleh »

So... Is it best to trim the current undertray to hold all the gubbins in place as it has been so successfully over the years and how much should I consider cutting off (so not to get to eager and take to much :problem: ).

As always, thanks in advance.
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
tony.mon

Re: Advice on undertray installation please...?

Post by tony.mon »

Do you mean the rear end of the standard one?
There's a lot of excess plastic on the sides as it drops just in front of the numberplate.
It's there to prevent spray but IMHO looks ugly; a nice smooth radius is easy to achieve.
Make a cardboard template to get it even on both sides.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

I assume you mean cutting the standard one to fit an after market one. Like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-HONDA-VTR ... 4d1deffe60

To fit one like the above the most extreme chopped standard one i have seen was back to the battery box and rear reservoir lug. In this case the ECU is then mounted using a improvised technique.

However, they usually just cut at the rear end number plate holder and indicator lugs.
I have noticed that when the standard seat lock mounting is removed that the lock can sometimes rotate in the after market one.

When the monsoons stop i will be removing one the same as the one on ebay so i could get some photos

You could always buy one to experiment on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/honda-firesto ... 20e61c2ee8
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Bleh, I have sent you an email which might be helpful,

Chris.
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

Yeah, bought an under tray like the one above, but cheaper... (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/98-05-Honda-F ... 3a90d51ab9).
Some colour match from the local paint distributors (hope this turns out ok :eh: ) and I was hoping to fit the new one with the original one still in place, but modified enough that all the gubbings along with the original tool kit can be held sufficiently in place!
sirch345 wrote:Bleh, I have sent you an email which might be helpful,

Chris.
No messages have come through :cry:
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Give me 2 sec's and I'll pm you,

Chris.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Bleh wrote:Yeah, bought an under tray like the one above, but cheaper... (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/98-05-Honda-F ... 3a90d51ab9).
Some colour match from the local paint distributors (hope this turns out ok :eh: ) and I was hoping to fit the new one with the original one still in place, but modified enough that all the gubbings along with the original tool kit can be held sufficiently in place!
sirch345 wrote:Bleh, I have sent you an email which might be helpful,

Chris.
No messages have come through :cry:
oooh a white one!!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

bigtwinthing wrote: oooh a white one!!!
Not any more....

Lacquer still going off at this stage but I fear it's going to look clean enough that I'll have to polish the rest of the bike :Argue 1:

The argument I'm having with myself right now is do I (attempt to) take the pipes off now and clean/ spray them whilst the sub frame is off (also having some fresh paint applied) or leave it until I can be bothered (as I really can't be right now but it makes sense to do it :problem: )