Seized flywheel!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
pmcq

Seized flywheel!

Post by pmcq »

Right then, I am currently rebuilding my R6 engine using another one which is in quite a bit of disrepair - I only need the top half of the engine... Anyway there was no flywheel/starter clutch cover on the engine when I got it, so the flywheel is rusted - tried removing it last nigth and the bloody thing wont budge .... I tried loads of pentrating oil, using 2 flat-bladed screwdrivers to prise each side - being careful not to damage anything else, and even fashioned some sort of home-made pulling device using some flat steel bent so it hooks around the back of the wheeland then using a large bolt int he middle so that when the nut is tighted it pulls the hooks. Failure!

Anyway, anyone got any ideas, or is there a special tool I can get? Its completely seized as it should normally just slide off (as far as I can make out)...

Cheers!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'm only guessing here, but I would have thought the flywheel is on a tapered shaft, more than likely locked in place with a wood druff key. I would have thought you are on the right train of thought by thinking you will need a flywheel puller. But if you were able to make the puller legs by bending the steel by hand, thats not going to be anywhere near strong enough. I made one up years ago, I'll try and post a picture later :!: Also have a look at the flywheel, the recess where the center nut was (if there is a recess) there may be threads in the walls of the recess which is meant for a puller. A local bike shop might have one which you could borrow/hire :?:

Chris.
tony.wilde1

Post by tony.wilde1 »

good points chris..just to add....i had an old honda with the same problem years ago...i found out that the rear axle had the same threads as the inner bolt thread ...so i used that as a puller...just do it up and the flywheel comes right off without hammering !!worth a try first!! :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Here's the pictures of my home made fly wheel puller I said I'd post for you Pmcq:-

This will give you an idea of what can be made fairly easily if thats your only option, obviously yours will need to fit the R6 fly wheel and may need to be slightly different than mine :!:

Hope that helps,

Chris.
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Many thanks Chris! That helps a lot. Some very handy work there 8)
Will let you know how I get on.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You're welcome mate, if I lived a little nearer you could have borrowed it, if it fitted :!: I used a length of mild steel 20mm x 6mm

Chris.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

2 man job. One to put slight pressure on both sides of the flywheel with screwdrivers or whatever, and one to hit the shaft ( with nut on full thread ! ) with a copper hammer. This should shift it !
Only slight pressure needed behind flywheel though and a good smack with the hammer !

You could use a puller but only to put some pressure behind the flywheel before you smack t with said copper hammer ! Trying to remove it with just the puller will probably distort or break the alloy flywheel :roll:

Thinking about it maybe only a small tap with the hammer might be the best way to go seeing as the shaft is still on the bike !!!
Am used to heavy engineering not piddly engines ! :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pmcq if you do decide to make a puller yourself it needs to be able to attache itself to the center boss of the flywheel ( as close to the centre of the flywheel as possible ) tighten the center bolt of the puller up pretty tight and if the flywheel still resists coming away give the head of the bolt a sharp hard hit with a hammer, the sudden shock should break the joint!
I personally would not hit the end of the shaft with a hammer! you could do serious damage to it!

Chris.
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Cheers lads - didnt get round to it last night but there'll be some pulling and whacking this weekend ....er... :lol: :lol: :lol: 8O
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Good news! Managed to get the blasted flywheel off -- decided to try the levers and hammer first before making a puller - had my mate put a bit of force on the back of the while i gave a swift sharp smack to the shaft - all of a sudden something gave way, i thought the levers had slipped but sure enough it was just the flywheel letting go! Managed to get my engine split today! Thanks for the help guys!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pleased to hear it Pmcq, well done :!:

Chris.
yellafella

Post by yellafella »

sirch345 wrote:Pmcq if you do decide to make a puller yourself it needs to be able to attache itself to the center boss of the flywheel ( as close to the centre of the flywheel as possible ) tighten the center bolt of the puller up pretty tight and if the flywheel still resists coming away give the head of the bolt a sharp hard hit with a hammer, the sudden shock should break the joint!
I personally would not hit the end of the shaft with a hammer! you could do serious damage to it!

Chris.
Thats why i said a copper hammer Chris. :roll: :wink: