WW1 100yrs Trip

General Bike chat
bigtwinthing

WW1 100yrs Trip

Post by bigtwinthing »

Hi

anybody heading over to Ypres this year for a foreign trip to see the WW1 battle sites? Very good roads?
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
bigtwinthing

Re: WW1 100yrs Trip

Post by bigtwinthing »

Hi Theres a few guys going over on 20th June on the 4-15 ferry from Dover to calais and returning on 22nd at about 1400, Plan to stop in B and B,s and then go to WW1 sites, if anybody wants to tag along you will be most welcome.
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Have been many times to Belgian and French sites. You won't find too many "good" roads - many long straight ones in Northern France but occasionally a little D road offers a bit of fun. You really go for the sightseeing. Don't miss the Menin Gate at 8pm - last post. Every day.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Stratman wrote:Have been many times to Belgian and French sites. You won't find too many "good" roads - many long straight ones in Northern France but occasionally a little D road offers a bit of fun. You really go for the sightseeing. Don't miss the Menin Gate at 8pm - last post. Every day.
i have a "belgique" guide who nows some peachy roads, we wont be using the main ones. we may now travel back from St Malo so may do another night out.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

I can't as I'm moving house and job soon - but all the best to all who go. Would love to do this - "lest we forget".
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Mav617 wrote:I can't as I'm moving house and job soon - but all the best to all who go. Would love to do this - "lest we forget".
i bet i "blub" just a bit.
Beleif

Post by Beleif »

Lochnagar Crater - well worth a visit. What a trip that was. Gsxr, VFR and an old XJ900 with hangovers riding pillion.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

100yrs is a long trip. :eek2

What a lovely thing to do and being the Centenary makes it that more special to go pay your respects. I think most people would shed a tear, even a cold hearted b8stard like me. Especially when standing to attention as last post is played and the flag is either raised at sunrise or brought down at sunset.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

I missed my 30th "falklands" reunion as i was ill at the time, just thought it would be nice to go back to Ypres as i haven't been since 1969, so some respect and that.