Finned r/r failure???

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scoobie_sore_paws

Re: Finned r/r failure???

Post by scoobie_sore_paws »

cybercarl wrote:The 58 looks like a non MOSFET as it has a single plug. The MOSFET have two separate plugs reason being that the regulator and rectifier parts of the internals are separated from each other which is one reason why they are better.

More info here http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/kn ... how-25117/

These are the MOSFET style R/R\s
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380704480069? ... 1423.l2649

(:-})
cheers will see what body part I can sell to get one :)
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

tony.mon wrote:It may be too late now, but the fact that you have a burnt terminal doesn't mean that the RR is wrecked.
There's a lot of current passing through those terminals, and if one is slightly loose or furs up and a poor connection results, all of the current tries to go through the point contact remaining, rather than the flat-to-flat connection that is able to carry the current properly. Arcing occurs, and you get sufficient heat produced form that to melt plastic, and if there's damage to the connector itself, metal.

But it doesn't mean that the RR has failed. I'd clean and re-make the terminals and see if it behaves before shelling out on a new one.
ah when i replaced the original r/r the terminal block was a little scorched and terminals not at there best should have changed the block then i think. oh well at least i will have a spare r/r i will test it when new block is fitted.
I have an under tray fitted I think this also dosent help as it restricts air flow going to fit a pc fan too.
I had ' get rid of the storm' thoughts as not happy im replacing parts that have already been replaced.
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Diabolus wrote:
tony.mon wrote:It may be too late now, but the fact that you have a burnt terminal doesn't mean that the RR is wrecked.
There's a lot of current passing through those terminals, and if one is slightly loose or furs up and a poor connection results, all of the current tries to go through the point contact remaining, rather than the flat-to-flat connection that is able to carry the current properly. Arcing occurs, and you get sufficient heat produced form that to melt plastic, and if there's damage to the connector itself, metal.

But it doesn't mean that the RR has failed. I'd clean and re-make the terminals and see if it behaves before shelling out on a new one.
ah when i replaced the original r/r the terminal block was a little scorched and terminals not at there best should have changed the block then i think. oh well at least i will have a spare r/r i will test it when new block is fitted.
I have an under tray fitted I think this also dosent help as it restricts air flow going to fit a pc fan too.
I had ' get rid of the storm' thoughts as not happy im replacing parts that have already been replaced.
Reg recs, batteries, tyres, all consumables in my book.

The undertray won't make much difference, before fitting a second fan try either of these:
fit an override switch on the standard fan- you can flick it on when stationary for more than a minute or two (but fit a tell-tale light to inform you that it's on), or
Fit a four-row oil cooler instead of the two row standard one.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.