how does your helmet stand up

General Biker Banter
macdee

Re: how does your helmet stand up

Post by macdee »

budd wrote:OMG my Arai RX7 Corsair only gets 3 *** it must be shite, I think I'll rush out and buy an MT revenge
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testsratings/mt-revenge
£65 !! what a bargain compared to what I paid for my Arai, Polycarbonate shell must be way better than composite fibre construction, micrometric adjustment (god knows what that is ) but it's obviously much preferable to the rubbish Arai double D system, all these years biking and I thought I knew a thing or two about safety and never even considered the governments boffins would know better, what fool I feel.
Anyone want to buy a rubbish Arai ? I won’t feel safe now until I have the MT revenge on my head.
taken from above site
they seem to put them through a tuff and rigorus test
told you not to but oh no you knew better
budd

Post by budd »

[quote="cybercarl"
So sharp is the testing then. I thought it was a brand of lid.

(:-})[/quote]

no that's Shark :D
I've now gone all European and bought a KTM Superduke GT and Aprilia RSV1000R :D ,
Storm is now gone :cry: .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Anyway it could be just a way of reducing the load on the overstretched NHS, get everyone wearing the bargain 5* rated lids so they are dead before they even reach the hospital.
Now that's my kinda thinking :lol:

Yeh Shark that's the one :thumbup: I had a divvy moment there, maybe I banged my head. Your spot on with the double D ring mate and I'm with you with keeping the Arai. There's a reason they are used a lot in racing. Arai's tests go a lot further than the standard tests required for a legal road helmet. They have proved themselves over many many years and their reputation proceeds or is that precedes them. And as for Scurburth they are up there with Arai. Shame Michael didn't have one on when he had his skiing accident.

I'm not surprised about the Roof lids scoring 3 as they are more of a fashion statement rather than safety statement. Especially the fighter style lids they do.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

well it says im ok if I bash the front or back of my head , just not the sides? :lol:

roof did 3 styles on there and 2 of them got 4* and the one I got did 3* :(
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Wouldn't worry Lumpy, god forbid we ever find out mate.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

My old Carbon HJC HQ1 was the first of the 5* ones they tested, helped the wife out up with me buying a new one. Mind you, it must have been five years ago now....I'm still wearing it, it might be five years old but the head in it is a lot older than that.... :lol:
It rides up at high speed, so I probably wouldn't recommend it. Light enough though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Bell helmets get a very good rating.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Damo73a

Post by Damo73a »

Stars shine bright in the night sky over the beacons and black mountains, therefore I shall continue to surround my fairly empty bonce with with an inferior safety device named an ARAI!!
Damn right I love living on the edge.
I told the girlfriend to buy a box £39.99, yup safe as houses chick honest.
Sign here, he he he.
F@&K WORK LETS RACE.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

My new lid, Shoei XR1100 : 5 stars.

My old lid, Arai Condor: 2 stars.

The Arai saved my head after a cheeky little 90mph kurb kissing session....
Jamie :wave:
Virt

Post by Virt »

My HJC is 3 stars and my Duchini is 4, although it probably needs replacing as it's been worn to death over the last 2 years :lol:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

mav has it right. try hard not to test it your self ! !
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

I've used sharp tests for a number of years when deciding on a lid quality vs. price.

For the first time ever, I bought something last year with only a four start rating... A scorpion EXO 400 (this one: http://www.compacc.com/images/product/300/40706_3.jpg). The first and LAST time too. Where sharp showed its weak spots (at the sides), it really becomes uncomfortable after about 45mins to an hour in them areas. Have even contemplated emailing ol' scorpion with a complaint/ query as to the quality.

My misses, who seldom rides pillion these days with having two young ones at home owns a HJC rpha 10 (this one: http://www.675.cc/upload/images/rpha10clubmimi.jpg and it is THE MOST COMFORTABLE HELMET I HAVE EVER USED... Would highly recommend this one to anyone. Only reason I haven't 'traded' lids is because I'd get a back hander off the boss :eh:

Apart from the two above, I can also vouch for Nitro - my previous lasting me a comfortable 5 years before deciding to renew (with the scorpion). Also have an AGV Stealth here which I've only worn a handful of times but I don't feel they're as comfortable as they used to be ten years ago - maybe my nose and chin have got smaller but I don't think they have!

The two biggest write off's I've had was with a Novak (remember them?) and an Arai Doohan rep - both were fit for purpose, or at least they've cracked before my skull with the Arai looking the worse off... Nice piece of gravel rash all along the left side with a sizeable crack across the back (phew :shifty: )

But yeah, with todays tech, we're mainly paying for the name or comfort of fit. Sharp is a useful aid in fairness but shouldn't be seen as conclusive, just a impact quality guide!
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!