cans and dynoing my firestorm

General Bike chat
fordstorm

cans and dynoing my firestorm

Post by fordstorm »

was just wondering has anyone had there bike put on a rolling road and properly dyno tuned?

I have standard cans at the moment with the baffles removed so i now really wana get a nice set of high rise cans and have it set up i am in leominster so only u the road from lee motorcycles in ledbury were they have a rolling road e.t.c he has quoted around £200 to have it fully set up.

now the question is does this make much difference to the firestorms on power fuel economy and general running of the bike?

let me know how yours have been set up with what cans e.t.c and before and after difference please.... also i was told by someone on here that firestorms dont like stubbys but i have seen some nice stubby cans i want to get but surely if i have bike set up with these is should be ok?
Wicky

Re: cans and dynoing my firestorm

Post by Wicky »

Look under 'Workshop' > 'Dyno Charts'

Portal Index ‹ Board index ‹ Bike Shop ‹ Workshop ‹ Dyno Charts
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yes having it set up is worth the money
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If you're going to be spending out on dyno runs, I would suggest you get the can's you intend to use first, then get it dyno'd,

Chris.
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

sirch345 wrote:If you're going to be spending out on dyno runs, I would suggest you get the can's you intend to use first, then get it dyno'd,

Chris.
yep will be doing that first any ideas if stubbys are ok to use?
Virt

Post by Virt »

fordstorm wrote:
Depends on how much you value your hearing!

Mine are 4inches shorter than standard and, even with baffles in, fookin' loud :lol:

Sound gorgeous though
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

No idea on the stubby's. Someone else may be able to advise you on that. Basically the stubby's would be shortening the total exhaust length, so I'm not sure how well re-jetting will work. You could mention it to the garage where you're thinking about taking it to be dyno'd.

Chris.
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

Virt wrote:
fordstorm wrote:
Depends on how much you value your hearing!

Mine are 4inches shorter than standard and, even with baffles in, fookin' loud :lol:

Sound gorgeous though
thats what im talking about lol im a drummer so my hearing is pretty shocking anyway :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

rather than doing a full setup for 200£ you may want to just have a single evaluation run done and based on the A/F ratio that will tell you if you need to do anything. from there there are lots of good solutions on here that could be implemented and then retested.

we have a dyno day in cradley heath every year and a single run is only £20

if you doint feel confident doing the work then make sure you pick a dyno operator who still knows carbs, and better if he has done a storm before
AMcQ
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Put where you are in Location on your Profile so we can recommend anyone in your area.
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Virt

Post by Virt »

AMCQ46 wrote: we have a dyno day in cradley heath every year and a single run is only £20
That's a yearly thing? :o :D
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Virt wrote:
AMCQ46 wrote: we have a dyno day in cradley heath every year and a single run is only £20
That's a yearly thing? :o :D
well we have done it the last 2 yrs, but only lloydie and I went to the 1st one :lol:

and lloydie has done enough new mods to warrant a followup this year
AMcQ
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I do need to get on the Dyno :-) but with all the ride outs going on this year I might try to arrange it for end of summer
Virt

Post by Virt »

AMCQ46 wrote:
well we have done it the last 2 yrs, but only lloydie and I went to the 1st one :lol:

and lloydie has done enough new mods to warrant a followup this year
Oh okay :lol: Last year was like a 400% improvement then :p

If Lloyd's waiting till the end of the summer I'll just probably go earlier then, really curious as to what mine is putting out.. Wanna see how uhh, close to 33 it is :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It's not that they don't like stubbies, but putting the sound to the side a shorter can generally means gains in top end at the sacrifice of lower and a longer can gains in lower end at the sacrifice of top. Standard length cans will give you an average throughout. So it depends on what your after and what other mods you have that may counterbalance thing's or not.

The exhaust length is a tuned length and changes will affect the timing of the pulses as pressure waves go from positive to negative pressure (think I got that the right way around) which helps with scavenging of the Induction mix going into the cylinder and less waste coming back out through the pipe which hopefully gives more power and better fuel economy. A lot more efficient.

There's some interesting links in the following thread if you interested in the effects of different exhausts systems. http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ng#p320106

Some better quality cans designed for the Storm (higher end market) wont necessarily require re-jetting with standard air filter but will benefit from being jetted to suit. This wont apply to stubbles/cut downs.

SOME INFO ON DYNO MACHINES

If your going to spend a couple of hundred quid or more on a dyno techs time then as has been said, make sure they have experience with V Twins and are knowledgeable in working with CV Carbs. You will find that most these days are so used to fuel injection and making simple changes on a power commander that carbs is a whole new ball game for them, a lot more work as carbs need to be removed each time to make changes. You need an old school dyno tech.

Also remember that what's on paper does not necessarily relate to real world experience. A dyno machine is one tool in the tuning process and only as good as the dyno tech that uses it. Don't be fooled into thinking a dyno is the answer to everything. A good dyno tech/operator will also take the bike for a road test and compare against the dyno and most likely get good results. A bad dyno tech will get you close but maybe not perfect. An even worse dyno tech will just stick a jet kit in according the manufacturers baseline settings and be done with it.

I don't know if that's gone over your head but hope it helps with your decision making. If you was to use standard length cans then install a jet kit yourself it would be reasonably simple and you could do it yourself with the help of some guides on here. You may even be happy with baseline settings. Installing stubbles is going to make things a little harder to get accurate yourself and will take some experimentation and experience with working with CV Carbs.

Every bike will have slightly different tuning requirements and no two bikes will be the same. So looking at others dyno charts may give you a general idea but in no way will be the same.

Now I'm waffling so shall shut up :lol: Does that answer your question :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside