2 x virgin bikers .

General Bike chat
lumpyv

2 x virgin bikers .

Post by lumpyv »

had quite a nice morning today.

my stepson and his mate both 24 went to a local dealer to pick up bikes they had bought. oli had a 50 cc reiju sports when he was 16 and has got a yam 250 motocrosser which he competes on now but never had a sports bike. his mate hasn't done any biking at all I think.

anyway they both got their road licences a fornight ago and were champing at the bit . oli got a 2011 cbr600rr and his mate a 2007 Daytona 675.

I went along with my daughters bloke (rsv mille) in an attempt to make sure he did,nt get it all wrong on his first outing. his mother was giving me grief

went to a disused road on a trading estate where they did 20 minutes up and down getting used to stopping and starting and the power delivery of the bikes.

next stage was about 20 miles on the dual carriageway with a few roundabouts thrown in . then about 40 miles of fast a roads. loads of traffic being a Saturday but we managed to all get home without any dramas.

he let me have a very short go on his cbr and I must say I thought it was very nice. completely different from our bikes, I have never ridden a modern in line 4 before. the triumph was nice too, seemed to have a fair bit of get up and go, the cbr is a total rev monster.

hope I did them a favour slowing them down a bit on their first ride out?

loads of bikes out today and saw 2 roads closed for accidents with police /ambulance in attendance. :sad2
ride safe everybody.

:beer: now
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
agentpineapple

Re: 2 x virgin bikers .

Post by agentpineapple »

sounds like you did the right thing to me... :thumbup:
its good practice to learn how far you can brake when you get a new bike, slow speed handling is always a good skill, it'll help with overall bike control...
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Lord Flasheart

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Sounds like good thinking to me! Break them in slowly and let them get a feel for the bikes. Especially if they've not ridden since passing their test on what I'm guessing would be a let less powerful bikes.

Good work, here's hoping the have many more safe miles ahead of them!
Flash by name, flash by nature! Woof!

Graham
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

agentpineapple wrote:sounds like you did the right thing to me... :thumbup:
its good practice to learn how far you can brake when you get a new bike, slow speed handling is always a good skill, it'll help with overall bike control...
+1
I wish I had an experience rider to help me when I first started
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

yeah that's the plan :roll: keep safe.

oli is a very confident bloke and normally does well at things he takes on . just hope he dosent get cocky. he,s certainly not scared of it :|

his mate was dead cautious. they both seemed to have taken note of what they learnt on the test regarding indicating and looking behind etc.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

lloydie wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:sounds like you did the right thing to me... :thumbup:
+1
I wish I had an experience rider to help me when I first started
tell me about it lloydie, I stacked my first big bike within a month of passing my test, totally my fault, riding like a nob and not having the roadcraft to back it up.....doh!!!!
a few pointers from a more experienced rider could have prevented it.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Good man Lumpy it's always good to hear the voice of more experience handing down some knowledge and advice to the younger generation starting out. After all we all know how easy it is to get too confident, cocky or whatever you want to call it and seriously hurt oneself and the pocket.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Well done :thumbup:

If your lad has done motocross he will already be well set up with bike skills, how to use the controls will be 2nd nature and he will understand how much grip he has and what happens when he crosses the line. In my view that is a great apprenticeship for road riding. He just needs to add roadcraft and hazard perception now and he will be all set to enjoy biking :thumbup:

The other lad will have to remember that he has more learning to do and not try to run with your son too early.
AMcQ
Virt

Post by Virt »

I'm surprised no comments about the title have been directed at me! :lol:

Good man Lumpy. After I passed my test I went on all-day ride on the hornet with my dad for the same effect... apart from sending the bike flying down the road the day after I think it had a good effect :P

Let's hope they stay safe and sensible

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Virt wrote:I'm surprised no comments about the title have been directed at me! :lol:
What you're still a virgin YMV :lol: pull the other one :wink:

Back to the original thread, I also think you did a good job there Lumpyv, well done :clap: :clap:

I like others have said, would have appreciated that help when I got my first real motorcycle,

Chris.
Virt

Post by Virt »

sirch345 wrote:
Virt wrote:I'm surprised no comments about the title have been directed at me! :lol:
What you're still a virgin YMV :lol: pull the other one :wink:

Chris.

Never said I was! People just seem to not believe that I'm incredibly handsome and charming for some reason :confused
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Virt wrote:Never said I was! People just seem to not believe that I'm incredibly handsome and charming for some reason :confused
Well having never met you I can't really comment on that, but...............................................................................................I have never heard Lloydie complaining :wink: :lol:

Perhaps he is just to much of a Gentleman :thumbup:

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

He's still in training !!
macdee

Post by macdee »

job well done there Lumpyv
hope they stay safe on these roads
you could give them a small refresher course in the near furture
not that you are checking on them or any thing :oops:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

well, they will do what they do when it comes down to it !
he was out again this arv with his mate so getting a bit more experience. although he has a grown up bike now its not like when he was out on the reiju thing when he was 16.

just hope they are ok . oli has been driving for 6 and a half years and had one of those astra gte (?) things, went like the clappers so he,s fairly used to speed etc and has got to 24 without crashing a car or his works van so fingers crossed.