now the timing is done i have another issue

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRDark

Re: now the timing is done i have another issue

Post by VTRDark »

When I read the OP's 1st post my first thought when backfire and sputtering was mentioned was vacuum pipe on wrong place, and was going to mention it if knowone else did. Well done Chris :clap: I have got to say that I agree that it's worth setting the timing from scratch as has been said http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/posting.p ... 3#pr329753

fordstorm you have spun the cams over so many times now that it's hard to keep track where things are at or maybe I'm reading your post wrong. The way Sirch has described is the safest way to know for sure that things are correct. You wont know for sure if it's correct unless you have ridden the bike up to high revs, to the point of the limiter to tell if it's 180 out or not. Unfortunately one can't tell from how it starts and revs at idle.

At the end of the day mate we can only advice by what you tell us and it's up to your judgement as to if the bike is running correct or not.

I would start with the vacuum (PVILR) make sure this is put back onto the nipple towards the rear of the fuel tap on the left hand side behind the fuel hose not the bottom one pointing down. Then see how the bike runs and decide whether the timing is correct or not. It would be worth knowing what the jetting is in you carbs as it's always good for one to know where things are at and I can confirm Lloydie is correct with the standard jetting sizes.

Fuel tap vacuum (PVILR) pipe

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

I have just been informed by my mate that the bike is now running properly again the vacuum pipe was put back on the wrong place now he has changed that it is all running sweet apparently but I will be the judge of that when I go and see it tomorrow :) but this is sounding better now to see if it revs past 7
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Good news. If she's sounding better and runs better than before then that's all positive :thumbup: Even more positive is the lessons learned along the way and having a better mechanical knowledge of what's what and how it works, what tools are needed etc. Even the simple things like removing the tank and airbox that would have taken some time before you can now do with eyes closed.

Enjoy your ride and lets us all know how it goes. :Bike:

==============================Enter the Darkside
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

cybercarl wrote:Good news. If she's sounding better and runs better than before then that's all positive :thumbup: Even more positive is the lessons learned along the way and having a better mechanical knowledge of what's what and how it works, what tools are needed etc. Even the simple things like removing the tank and airbox that would have taken some time before you can now do with eyes closed.

Enjoy your ride and lets us all know how it goes. :Bike:

great news took the bike out today after putting fairings e.t.c back on and oh yes it revs flat out with no flat spots or bogging down and my god is it quick this is the first time i have actualy road a firestorm that revs flat out it really is like a different bike im really pleased and thank you everyone on here who has helped with all the info :D :D :D :D :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good news, glad to hear you got there in the end :thumbup:

Chris.