now the timing is done i have another issue

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
fordstorm

now the timing is done i have another issue

Post by fordstorm »

here goes

My bike was definately 180 out on the timing but was running spot on as i rode it to the workshop before i done the work. i now stripped the bike got the rear cylinder on tdc then took cams out rotated the engine 360 degrees put cams back in e.c.t anyway i then put it all back together spot on as it should be. the bike then fired up instantly but backfired on start up as soon as i touched the throttle it died. so then started it again fired straight up touched throttle spluttered then stopped. so then alarm bells rang i got worried and thought oh god the timing couldnt of been out so i then put the timing back to what it was at before by rotating engine another 360 degrees with cams off. then put back together. tried starting it and it was pretty much the same problem but didnt start as well and i could tell the engine sounded like it was before i rode it into the workshop more lumpy and had sort of less energy about it so i was now sure that what i done to start with must of been rite as it sounded so much better when it fired up apart from wouldnt rev. i then came to the conclusion that it was another reson why the bike kept stopping when i went to hit the throttle. so..... third time lucky went to change timing again ( so what i initialy went to do in the 1st place 180 out) and thats when unfortuneately the bolt got dropped into the engine, not by me i would like to add lol. so obvs all engine apart then e.c.t and it ended up in the sump now the bike is back together with the timing spot on 100% guarenteed as i could prob do it with my eyes closed now :problem: and the bike fired up nice and lively it will now rev out but its very splutery like there is sh1t in the carbs or bad fuel as you manage to inrease the revs its alot smoother through top rev range then now and again it revs pretty tidy at bottom revs then it will splutter back fire a bit e.t.c

so the question is will everyone agree that likely cause of this is carbs need cleaning and fresh fuel putting in as i ran tank very low on fuel and i dont have any in line filters on the fuel lines

the bike used to break down and act up like this with same characteristics when used to run the bike low on fuel before i would fill tank up and i think the pressure of the fuel when filling up stirred sh1t up in bottom of the tank and got into the carbs and acted just like it is now spluttering not reving out and back firing.

i also put some fuel in the bike that was drained from a fiesta about 3 weeks ago ooops

on the plus side fresh oil and filter :thumbup:

Feedback would be grand
8541Hawk

Re: now the timing is done i have another issue

Post by 8541Hawk »

What mains, pilots and needles are you running?
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

8541Hawk wrote:What mains, pilots and needles are you running?
That's my thinking too !
If it's been set up to run 180' out then the mains will be way out .
If you don't have a carb kit fitted you should have 175 front mains and 178 rear mains with either 45s or 48s pilots .
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You should have turned the engine over 450 degrees not 360 degrees anti-clockwise.

Have a look at how to set the timing correctly here:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

Sorry if I'm talking rubbish, but I'm in a hurry so will get back later,

Chris.
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

[quote="sirch345"]You should have turned the engine over 450 degrees not 360 degrees anti-clockwise.

Have a look at how to set the timing correctly here:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8326

Sorry if I'm talking rubbish, but I'm in a hurry so will get back later,

Chris.[/quote

no it doesnt matter which way i have one it there are a few different ways to acheive this. as you can also do it by setting the front cylinder at tdc then turning the engine 270 degrees then the rear cylinder should be on tdc with cam lobes pointing in, if they are not then you take the cams out and put them facing up and in with ri and re level with the tops of the casing then timing will be spot on. so this way i have checked the timing and adjusted accordingly. to make 100% sure.

so your not wrong and neither am i there is just a few ways round doing this
Last edited by fordstorm on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

lloydie wrote:
That's my thinking too !
If you don't have a carb kit fitted you should have 175 front mains and 178 rear mains with either 45s or 48s pilots .
I did think about this but as far as i know they are standard but might be worth a try buying some standard jets for it and trying to make sure

what are the standard sizes and were can i get them from?
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

fordstorm wrote:
lloydie wrote:
That's my thinking too !
I did think about this but as far as i know they are standard but might be worth a try buying some standard jets for it and trying to make sure

what are the standard sizes and were can i get them from?
I think he just gave you the standard sizes.... I have some mains should you need them.
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

Yes sorry he did just tell me sorry.

I just thought if it is the jetting then how come it didn't run properly when I put the timing back to we're it was when I was riding it around.

I changed timing 180. Then didn't rev out but went I then changed timing back and now exact same problem, which is strange coz now it should run properly so don't see how it's jetting

I now have changed timing again and is now running and reving out but splutters
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fordstorm wrote:here goes

My bike was definately 180 out on the timing but was running spot on as i rode it to the workshop before i done the work.
Right first of all that's a contradiction in itself, if the valve timing was 180 degrees out it wouldn't have been running "spot on" as you put it.

What made you think it was definitely 180 degrees out in the first place :?:

IMO the best thing you can do now is take both cam covers off and start again. Set the rear cylinder on TDC with the valves facing up and inwards towards each other, with the RT mark on the flywheel lined up correctly with it's marker (if the cams are not facing the right way turn the engine over one full turn anti-clockwise). Once you have that right with the cam wheel RE and RI marks lined up as well with the top of the cylinder head, next turn the engine over 450 degrees anti-clockwise so that the FT mark on the flywheel is now lined up with the marker.

If the timing is still 180 degrees out then the cams will be facing upwards and inwards on the front cylinder. The should be facing upwards and away from each other.

Chris.

**EDIT**
Just another thought, if you have the early model (16LTR fuel tank) are you sure you refitted the vacuum pipe back on the correct outlet on the fuel tap, the one facing downwards is a drain off only.
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

Ok I contradicted myself the timing was 180 out coz bike wAsnt reving past 7000rpm this is why I went to do the timing in the first place it was running spot on up to 7000rpm I was meaning

No I don't need to do the timing again coz the timing is now correct

All you are telling me to do is do the reverse of what I have already done

So what are you getting at?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Don't shot the messenger. I'm only trying to help mate, and have given you precise instructions on the correct way to set the valve timing, or at least check it.

If you're confident the valve timing is right now, then that's all that matters.

Chris.
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

sirch345 wrote:Don't shot the messenger. I'm only trying to help mate, and have given you precise instructions on the correct way to set the valve timing, or at least check it.

If you're confident the valve timing is right now, then that's all that matters.

Chris.
I'm not at all mate I'm just meaning it's not timing I need the help with now as that is defo sorted it's now more a fueling related issue.

What you said about the fuel lines from the tank has made me think tho.

So I have the smaller 16l tank so are you saying I should have the pipe that is facing down just goin to the floor? I.e connected to nothing?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

PVILR
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fordstorm

Post by fordstorm »

Wicky wrote:PVILR
What?????
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts