slight tapping

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tattoo

slight tapping

Post by tattoo »

On my way to the office this morning i noticed a faint tap tap tap from the engine,it only sounded under acceleration,as soon as i shut off it disappeared and it doesn't sound while ticking over..

First thing i checked was the cct's but all the paint lines i put on them are still aligned so i thourght i might be an exhaust joint blowning but on inspection they are all ok,i checked with my hand for any signs of air leaks....only thing i can think of is it needs shims rechecking...the exhaust shims were alittle tight when i rebuilt it after the cct failure but not out of spec..

Any ideas
Veturinkuljettaja

Re: slight tapping

Post by Veturinkuljettaja »

If the valve clearances become too tight I believe it should make the engine quieter, not noisier. The manual CCT may need adjustment from time to time. Also, I've noticed, if the weather is very cold, it may take quite a long time for the engine to warm up enough so cam chain stops rattling completely. "Tap tap tap" doesn't sound like cam chain though... :think: So could be something else.
Last edited by Veturinkuljettaja on Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'99 Firestorm a.k.a.VETURI
Pearl Lively Orange
"Self-Rogered" forks with Racetech linear springs, Yoshimura RS3 SS, DJ Kit, Krieger CCT, SHINDENGEN FH020AA R/R, MRA Racing windcreen, Tapered steering head bearings, gl_s_r brass nuts :)
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

i'll have to listen to it again on my way home...the bikes running good,picks up nicely and revs right round the rev counter so it can't be anything that's going to cause damage....i know these bikes have all sorts of knocks, bangs and taps but this is a new one and it's annoying that it just does it when i accelerate and no other time.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

tattoo wrote:i'll have to listen to it again on my way home...the bikes running good,picks up nicely and revs right round the rev counter so it can't be anything that's going to cause damage....i know these bikes have all sorts of knocks, bangs and taps but this is a new one and it's annoying that it just does it when i accelerate and no other time.
air leaks can cause that too, check all the hoses and clamps etc.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Check the chain and sprockets too !
darkember

Post by darkember »

Carb slides worn
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

Well on the ride home i had another listen to the new sound comng from the bike and it sounds more like a loud tick,it has to be loud to be heard over the cans tbh but again it only sounds when i accelerate,it stops when i ease the throttle back or shut off,i even stopped and knelt down at the side of it and listened to see if it did it on tickover but it doesn't...i have tomorro off so looks like taking the fairing off and checking the cam chain tension,all the hose clips and the exhaust for leeks
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

Check for an exhaust blow from the head to down pipe joint, this can give a noise like your describing.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

It is strange that it only happens under load em when on the throttle .
If it was exhaust wouldn't it happen all the time ?
Hairy biker

Post by Hairy biker »

Not unless it was quite a substantial blow,a slight blow from somewhere near the front of the exhaust(head to down pipe gasket or cracked manifold/down pipe) would give that characteristic loud ticking noise when the engine is under load,it's sometimes hard to find if it only does it under load,the easiest way I've found to check for leaks is by looking for soot marks or dark coloured dust stains around the exhaust area.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

lloydie wrote:It is strange that it only happens under load em when on the throttle .
If it was exhaust wouldn't it happen all the time ?
Not if it's a crack at the rear of the system where the pipes separate after joining together.
That is held together by the rest of the pipes under normal conditions, but under higher pressures (wot) it can be forced apart.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Ooh ok
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

I've not had chance to check anything today due to the mrs wanting to go upto yorkshire to see my mum n dad and i'll not have chance to look at it until thursday as i'll be in paris...i will check everything thats been mentioned in this thread though

Thanks for the ideas as to what i could be lads
Saintsman27

Post by Saintsman27 »

what fuel grade and make r u using ? normal unleaded I hope
high octane makes my vtr tap and pink sometimes.. Murco and Asda
ones for me .. strange but true .. :wave:
Storm Trooper

Post by Storm Trooper »

Check the cam guides in the head. I had the same a few months back coming back from Troon, only to find after being recovered home that one of my cam guide caps had sheared in half!!!

Sounded like a CCT rattle, but knew it wasnt as have manuals installed.

Back on the road again now. Managed to get a cap with the exact oil clearance for my head. (Lucky or I would of had to use the new head that I bought)
Keep Her Lit !