GTX

General Bike chat
mik_str

Re: GTX

Post by mik_str »

ZDDP levels have been cut in automotive oils as the stuff has been found to be harmful to catalytic converters. Bike oils typically use quite a bit of the stuff (vs. auto oils).....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

chric wrote:
MacV2 wrote:
chric wrote:No i wouldnt i know when i filled oil probally millions of litres bike oil was orderd in before we started makeing it our selfs
Can we have an award in the next forum awards for the best ''late night probably drunk, makes no sense post of 2014'' award please...

:lol: :lol:

WTF Chric ???
I used to work in oil industry mac and normal say 10/40 car oil to bike oil was completly different.
We had to order it in in seperate ibc's.
Untill we started blending our selfs.so my awnser is no stick to bike oil
it will have a different additive make up i belive
Now if you had put all that in your first post it would have made perfect sense.

As it stands it doesn't... Maybe the odd , or . or capital letter, would help as well...

BTW were you drunk when you posted or had you been huffing the polish fumes again ? :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
magnum

Post by magnum »

I must admit had to read 3 or 4 times to decipher. :beer:
"It may be yellow but it ain't no chicken"
chric

Post by chric »

because you lot dont talk yorkshire :lol:
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
magnum

Post by magnum »

chric wrote:because you lot dont talk yorkshire :lol:

my farm manager is from Yorkshire he is slowly coming round to the Suffolk lingo :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I like Yorkshire tea, don't mean I understand a word you say tho... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
turbo_billy

Post by turbo_billy »

I must admit to using good old "dinosaur" oil in the late 70`s, early 80`s bikes I have, and GTX 10/40 is my favoured flavour. :thumbup: After all, back in the day there weren`t all these trick oils with fancy additives so mineral oil was the norm. And especially on the CBX a lot of people complain of clutch slip if they try modern oils. I think regular oil changes are probably more important than type or brand of oil.
It is the case that technology has progressed with semi and fully synthetic oils to make them the best at what they do, so for the newer machines with tighter tolerances, if you can afford it and it makes you feel better, then why not. I personally run semi synthetic in the Storm, but again not necessarily bike specific oil.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

maybe im just lucky but apart from race engines iv used good quality car oils in my engines since the early 80s and havent lost an engine just yet :D .
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

I have run my cbr6 on car oil for over 1000,000 mls, no problem, and no clutch issues.
Where does the idea of car oil making bike clutches slip? You hear of it but I have never heard of it actually happening.
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

1000, 000 miles! 8O
Jamie :wave:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Oh, for god's sake. Put it in if you want, if it doesn't run right no-one will be surprised.
You can use cheap filters as well, or just rinse the old one in paraffin and re-use it. TBH if you look hard enough you will probably find re-tread tyres, and just glue bits of cork onto knackered brake pads.

Just don't advertise it as "much-loved", and "wants for nothing" if you end up selling it as a non runner, or I'll vomit.

Just my opinion, you understand, do what you want-it's your bike, and your money or neck if you break it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Watty

Post by Watty »

tony.mon wrote:Oh, for god's sake. Put it in if you want, if it doesn't run right no-one will be surprised.
You can use cheap filters as well, or just rinse the old one in paraffin and re-use it. TBH if you look hard enough you will probably find re-tread tyres, and just glue bits of cork onto knackered brake pads.

Just don't advertise it as "much-loved", and "wants for nothing" if you end up selling it as a non runner, or I'll vomit.

Just my opinion, you understand, do what you want-it's your bike, and your money or neck if you break it.
Think that needed to be said :thumbup: , good man :D
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

rollingthunderx2 wrote:I have run my cbr6 on car oil for over 1000,000 mls, no problem, and no clutch issues.
Where does the idea of car oil making bike clutches slip? You hear of it but I have never heard of it actually happening.
I have seen the effects first hand... The clutch discs had to be replaced on a local VTR owners bike after three oil changes of car oil, a cheap brand mind you... And the discs weren't new when it started, but they where passable, and there was plenty of material left once they where swapped, but they went from slipping badly to just being annoying on two changes of bike oil...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
magnum

Post by magnum »

Tweety wrote:
rollingthunderx2 wrote:I have run my cbr6 on car oil for over 1000,000 mls, no problem, and no clutch issues.
I have seen the effects first hand... The clutch discs had to be replaced on a local VTR owners bike after three oil changes of car oil, a cheap brand mind you... And the discs weren't new when it started, but they where passable, and there was plenty of material left once they where swapped, but they went from slipping badly to just being annoying on two changes of bike oil...
yer have only bean back to bikes in the last year after 30 years brake :oops: last bike was a cb 900f we prob only had mineral oils and gtx was deemed to be one of the best oils going back then.
It's a bit mind bogaling the amount of different oil on the market but a I do under stand the importance of a good right oil for my bikes.
Hynse the original question sorry if I upset anyone.

Think i'll get a two stroke. :lol:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Put in what the makers recommend and don't be tight arses, Diesel oil should not go in bikes or Petrol cars, Petrol car oil aint no good for Diesel cars, i put bike oil in bikes. i feel sure that 100bhp from a 1600cc car wont be the same as 100bhp from a 600 bike.

I bet you buggers smoke and say you can't afford good bike oil, baldrocks! be sensible ( this isn't a non smoker rant before anybody starts either)
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!