single sided swing arm project

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Ckennedy

Re: swing arm project

Post by Ckennedy »

Wow, cheers wicky :thumbup: that's given me a great idea of how it could look when finished. Its going to take a while to get there but it'll get there.
kenmoore

Re: swing arm project

Post by kenmoore »

Nice clean bike you have to start with!

Keep us posted and of course you will need beer :beer: :beer: :beer: when things go a bit pear shaped(Hope they don't)

Pics will be appreciated as well.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Ckennedy

Re: single sided swing arm project

Post by Ckennedy »

Today me and Lloyd started on this project. And there is a lot of work to do but we made a good dent in it today. We put together an engine and frame and mounted the swing arrm. We then fitted the 2-1 exhaust system to see what clearance we had where and what could be done to give us a little more. The welds that were put on from the previous owners attempt were cleaned up, the inner edge was sanded back to give another 1mm or so.

We got the rear headed to fit and found out what travel we had with the linkage plates that supposedly fitted and we had to modify them to get the required travel. After a good few hours we managed to get the required travel and got a little clearance all round but there is a bit more to do. We also got a few measurements of the spacers required for the lower linkage and for the linkage itself to sit it in the right place.

Oh and the vfr swing arm is a whopping 50mm longer than the storm :? God help the handling

So much more work to do but made a good start. Cheers Lloyd :thumbup:

Pics to follow
Watty

Post by Watty »

Ckennedy wrote:Today me and Lloyd started on this project. And there is a lot of work to do but we made a good dent in it today. We put together an engine and frame and mounted the swing arrm. We then fitted the 2-1 exhaust system to see what clearance we had where and what could be done to give us a little more. The welds that were put on from the previous owners attempt were cleaned up, the inner edge was sanded back to give another 1mm or so.

We got the rear headed to fit and found out what travel we had with the linkage plates that supposedly fitted and we had to modify them to get the required travel. After a good few hours we managed to get the required travel and got a little clearance all round but there is a bit more to do. We also got a few measurements of the spacers required for the lower linkage and for the linkage itself to sit it in the right place.

Oh and the vfr swing arm is a whopping 50mm longer than the storm :? God help the handling

So much more work to do but made a good start. Cheers Lloyd :thumbup:

Pics to follow
Nice one :thumbup: you lads don't mess about once you get an idea in your heads 8O
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

No we don't. It's scary :lol:

We both didn't think we would get as far as we did. All we need to get it mounted is a few more measurements, some spacers and a little more modding of the swing arm and its there. Then theres making the pipes to get to the underseat exhaust. I would like to have a go at making the exhaust in house but we shall have to see. Would make it just that little more special.

The bigger job will be getting it to handle half decent. There's going to be a huge difference when its finished :?
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Not as simple as people make it out to be that's for sure .
7-8 hours spent on it today just to get the suspension to travel as how it was "made" it had 5mm travel not good unless you want a hard tail :lol: .
Yep so we are about 1/8 of the way through it and building a list of things that need made .
Spacers for linkages
Front sprocket
Rear link brake line so all 3 caliper pistons work off the rear brake master cylinder .
Rear sets will need spacing out too .
Rear brake line will be passed through the swing arm to keep it tidy .
We might have it done for 2016 :x
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Blooming heck Lloyd 2016 8O that's a bit on the generous side :lol:

I have to admit its nice doing a project like this with someone else. Not just because I get coffee made but its good bouncing ideas and theory's between us and I'm learning a lot. Never having done a project like this before so its good to have someone who has done a lot of projects to help out and be there for support so a massive thank you lloyd :thumbup:
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

it worth the effort, nowt looks better than a single sider, just make sure you don't cover up the wheel with the exhaust can ( like BMW do duh!!!)

the orange one on here looked the dog mutts.!!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Watty

Post by Watty »

lloydie wrote:Image
Not as simple as people make it out to be that's for sure .
7-8 hours spent on it today just to get the suspension to travel as how it was "made" it had 5mm travel not good unless you want a hard tail :lol: .
Yep so we are about 1/8 of the way through it and building a list of things that need made .
Spacers for linkages
Front sprocket
Rear link brake line so all 3 caliper pistons work off the rear brake master cylinder .
Rear sets will need spacing out too .
Rear brake line will be passed through the swing arm to keep it tidy .
We might have it done for 2016 :x
Good to see proper mechanics in action with the all important mash hammer on the floor :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

How else do you make things fit without lube :-)
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

bigtwinthing wrote:it worth the effort, nowt looks better than a single sider, just make sure you don't cover up the wheel with the exhaust can ( like BMW do duh!!!)

Don't worry its going to be an under seat exhaust so it'll be well out the way :thumbup:

Cheers watty :thumbup: you can never have a hammer thats to big for a job :lol:
Watty

Post by Watty »

Ckennedy wrote:
bigtwinthing wrote:it worth the effort, nowt looks better than a single sider, just make sure you don't cover up the wheel with the exhaust can ( like BMW do duh!!!)

Don't worry its going to be an under seat exhaust so it'll be well out the way :thumbup:

Cheers watty :thumbup: you can never have a hammer thats to big for a job :lol:
Dead right mate, if the hammer, gas axe or silicone dont fix it its not worth fixing :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

Silicon! 8O what kind of mechanic are you? ........

Gaffer tape all the way :thumbup: :lol: :lol:
Watty

Post by Watty »

Ckennedy wrote:Silicon! 8O what kind of mechanic are you? ........

Gaffer tape all the way :thumbup: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

When I got the swing arm to Lloyd's the other day we had a quick test fit and found there was a lot to do to this "bolt on" swing arm. There was no clearances anywhere so you can see from these pics....

Granted that isn't my rear shock but my wp in the same size just without the remote adjuster.

As you can see there was no room for any thing, suspension travel, rear header, shock.

After today we have full suspension travel, room for everything more or less, like I said some fine tuning to be done but that's small (ish) stuff

We made new link plates

Then when happy we had a fiddle with the ali ones that came with it and ended up with this....

I didn't get a photo of it when we left it but there's now a shock in there and it all clears, just! But that's me done on this now for 10 days as I shall be at work :thumbdown:

It won't stop me looking for other ideas on how do finish this project and into exhaust cans and all the little bits to when its time :biggrin