Carbs running rich

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
gwade

Carbs running rich

Post by gwade »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a piped and jetted 2003 model VTR. When it was jetted 6 months ago, it really ran great, but it has slowly began running richer and richer. My mechanic (widely known for knowledge in fuel and jetting) dynoed it and the air/fuel was off the chart. He says that it may be a problem with the tubes the needles go up and down in (they have a name...I've forgotton it). He said he saw this on a VTR once before and it's not a fixable part. It was abnormal wear, causing more fuel to flow.

Has anyone ever heard of this problem, experienced it with their bike? I can't confirm this is the probem yet, but I'll sell that bike before I buy two new carbs.
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

I've heard of it, its a known problem with the dynojet kit.
Basically the needles aren't very well machined and have ridges on them
Over time the in-ing and out-ing of the needle acts like a file and makes the holes (emulsion tubes) go oval.
No repair possible, replacement carbs required

However, it may just be that the air filter has got dirtier and dirtier. Have you tried cleaning it?

Ben
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Stormin Ben wrote:I've heard of it, its a known problem with the dynojet kit.
Basically the needles aren't very well machined and have ridges on them
Over time the in-ing and out-ing of the needle acts like a file and makes the holes (emulsion tubes) go oval.
No repair possible, replacement carbs required

However, it may just be that the air filter has got dirtier and dirtier. Have you tried cleaning it?

Ben
Well Ben thats not saying much for the quality of a dynojet kit is it :?: . As with a lot of aftermarket accessories I find quality a big issue :!: I know I tend to be a bit on the fussy side with things like that. Why on earth don't dynojet just charge an extra £10 or so and make the kit to a decent standard in the first place :!:
While I'm on my high horse, how many times do you hear about how someone has just spent their hard earned cash on a set of after market cans only to find out they won't line up properly or fit without filing the holes in the welded brackets before they can get the fixing bolts through :!:
You can't say its the difference in the individual bike because if you replace a part with a genuine Japanese part, you can guarantee it will fit exactly just like the original :!:

Right I'll shut up now, having got that of my chest I'm feeling a lot better 8)

Chris.