Not going into 1st correctly after standard cans fitted?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Squiffythewombat

Not going into 1st correctly after standard cans fitted?

Post by Squiffythewombat »

Hi Guys,

After fitting the standard cans back on my bike its devolped a weird problem. Its really iffy going from 2nd down into first and takes several attempts to thump down the gear lever and then eventually it clonks in.

This never happened before with the art cans on and has only just started happening now i have my stock cans on? Its also backfiring like a bitch, mainly i think because of the lack of gaskets at present? could not going into first propperly have something to do with the backpresusre and all that bah (you know im not good with mecanics)....? or has my power wheelies done some damgae (if so why was this only noticable with the stock cans on?)

Cheers guys
Toby
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
buzzard

Post by buzzard »

when you throttle off to change down,do the revs drop as much as they should,or do they remain a little high,if they do,could be reason for crunchy..impossible..gear change
Very funny Scotty...now beam down my clothes
iggy1966

Post by iggy1966 »

This might sound really daft Squiffy,

But the gear linkage is'nt catching on part of the exhaust is it???? can't see that it would be just might be worth checking.
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

iggy1966 wrote:This might sound really daft Squiffy,

But the gear linkage isn't catching on part of the exhaust is it???? can't see that it would be just might be worth checking.
Have you got the standard cans fitted correctly :?: not wishing to state the obvious :!: The mounting brackets on the cans are meant to be on the inside of the mounting points 8) Only a suggestion which could tie up with Iggys thought's :!:

Chris.
Squiffythewombat

thanks for the replies all, and no its deffo not the linakages ive checked that and no the revs drop as normal but it just doesnt clonk in correctly :-S
Squiffy_The_Wombat

mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

I had exactly the same problem when I put the standards back on. Never got to the bottom of it. Just put my aftermarket cans back on.

Would be interested if you do find out what's causing it.
1999 Firestorm - Red - Dynojet Stage 1 - K&N filter - Remus Cans (was Scorpion).
Squiffythewombat

Matt, a couple of people have hinted that its something to do with the change in back pressure or something, if i find any more info i will post it here for you!
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Squiffythewombat

just a quick update, for no real reason at all *touch wood* this problem has just disappeared, ive not had it happen in the last week and ive propperly ragged it a few times so im afraid i cant shed any light on what was causing it, although my mech did say something about backpresure from the stock end cans being different!
Squiffy_The_Wombat