Day in court

General Bike chat
mattbridges

Day in court

Post by mattbridges »

Back in January I came off my Firestorm.

Long story short: Driving through town, a mini pulled out from the wrong side of the road right in front of me. It was lightly raining I paniced and to avoid slamming into the back of the mini I slammed on the brakes, obviously the front wheel locked and before I could react I was on my a** and my bike bashed to heck. At the scene they thought I'd hurt my back so I got the full works.

A traffic cop arrested the mini driver for driving without due car and attention. She's now pleaded not guilty and we're off to court in November.

Anyone got any experience of going to court for this kind of thing? I've never been and it's a bit scary.

Do you have any idea what will happen to my NCB whilst this is all going on. Her insurance is saying they're not responsible, I've seen her statement and she claims she was 50 meters ahead of me and I just 'fell off'
1999 Firestorm - Red - Dynojet Stage 1 - K&N filter - Remus Cans (was Scorpion).
pmcq

Post by pmcq »

Hmmmm.... 50 metres!!!! Must have been very 'small' metres. Sorry man - havent been involved in any bike related stuuf like that... Best of luck!!
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

Yeah I read though her statement again today and it's so full of it - LOL - really quite funny. She's saying she indicated, looked and pulled out. The police in their statement have said they reviewed some cctv footage of the street (thank god for those cameras) and she pulled out without indicating; if I hadn't dumped the bike I would have gone into the back of her.
1999 Firestorm - Red - Dynojet Stage 1 - K&N filter - Remus Cans (was Scorpion).
Seeker 77

Post by Seeker 77 »

If the police arrested her for driving without due care and attention then the onus is on her to prove her innocence. It will more than likely come down to a straight my word or hers resolution, where the judge will way the evidence. I take it that the accident investigation police conducted tests to see where your skid marks were and where the bike connected with the vehicle. If they did then you are laughing as it will show the distance from the point of reaction - her pulling out - to the point of impact. If there has been no investigation then you may find that the judge apportions equal blame and your insurance company will have to pay for your bike and hers for her car. If you suffered injury you should also consider some kind of civil action to recover funds as the procedure is slightly different from criminal proceedings.

As far as your no claims goes, this will remain unaffected until the case has been resolved. Even then it won't affect your policy until you come around to renewal. I lost my Impreza on black ice and took the front wheel off on a kerb. Even after a £1000 fix by a Subaru main dealer, my insurance only went up by about £60 a year. Mind you i was already paying £1100 a year!

I hope that this helps, the information is based on my dealings with a woman who went into the back of me. She said i had not seen her, but the police investigation proved that she was doing 65 in a 30!!

Don't be too scared, if she is in the wrong then you should be alright. Good luck :wink:
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

One thing I should probably point out is that I didn't actually hit her car.
I would have if I hadn't eaten tarmac instead.

Yeah at the scene I estimated my speed to the cop at about 25 to 30 (it was a 30 limit)

The skid showed a speed of 15 to 20.

The bike cost about 1400.00 to repair (mostly expensive plastic and the zorsts). My arai corsair helmet was 499.00. As far as damage to me - I broke my patella (knee cap), so we're going for about 3K for pain and suffering + the above + the recovery fees from the accident.

The thing that really pee'd me off the most was that she texted me after the accident (whilst I was strapped to a back board in hospital with knee the size of a balloon and the doctors worried about whether i'd done my back in) saying the bike wasn't badly damaged and the crash bungs had saved it. No hope you're ok etc.
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

Cheers!

:-)
stu9000

yum

Post by stu9000 »

"Biker babe site".

Sounds interesting.

is it something to do with brolly dollies? :wink: :roll:
red is the fastest colour;)
mattbridges

Post by mattbridges »

Cheers!