This winter's rebuild and mods

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Here we go, again.... :D

I've started this winter's round of mods and rebuilds, a bit of bling, a few new ideas, some stuff I've had on the back burner for a while and one or two projects that I've been talking about for a while but not yet started.

On the list are:
New airbox, made if poss from carbon fibre, sealed against the underside of the tank, with ram air- two fairing sides already sourced, inner sections to be modified to make ducts- new intake sealed section to be constructed behind the headstock, a vertical filter element leading to the enlarged airbox.
A flo-commander to be fitted- already got this.
Custom stacks: fitted to my current modified airbox already:
Now aren't they lovely?
And, not only a louder intake note but a noticeable performance increase, as well, compared to my glued-together lashup with SP1 stack funnel tops attached to Storm bases.
What else?
Well, I'm running a standard engine atm, since mine self-destructed 8O :oops: but that will either have high comp pistons and my reground cams fitted, or I'll build another one, not doing that until everything else is done, though.
Blade 929/954 USD forks/yokes, with my existing F4i calipers and a new (to me) radial mc. 330mm discs (or 320, haven't measured yet, but they're the black centres, so 320 or 330, whatever, they'll do for now.
1kg springs in the forks, as the std spring is way too light.
I'll have to ride it for a while, but may have to remove the 6mm shock spacer, as the Blade forks are a bit shorter.
3" rise two-part clip ons from Woodcraft, carbon vented mudguard- a bit blingy but I figure I'm worth it.
I'm sure there's more than that...
Yes, the exhaust. I want to make one, bigger bore of course, stainless 2" tube will be the weapon of choice as I can make several and evaluate them. Downpipes will both have wide band lambda sensors fitted and a display to show mixture and stoichiometric ratio. I can't afford two displays and so it'll be switchable between them.
That's what the flo-commander is for, to adjust the main air intake to bring the ratio on both cylinders into as good a setting as I can achieve.
It'll tell me which direction to go in with the main jets, and then when the main jets are about right I can fine tune within the flo commander adjustment range.
Now, the exhausts would be easier if i just bought one, but there's a reason that I need to build one. A while ago, I was trying to find out why the SP1 made as much more power than a Storm as it does. I had a look at an SP1 engine I bought and the only real difference I couldn't account for was the exhaust port- it's roughly equally spaced between and in front of the two exhaust valves and the Storm ex port is in line with only one of the exhaust valves; the other one is hidden- that can't be good for gas flow.
So I've started a little project- thanks to a fellow member- who has machined the ports out to an oval shape. That, of course, means that I need to manufacture an oval header section, for each cylinder, and while I'm there I may as well make a whole system.

I reckon that lot will keep me busy for a while, but as I've already sold the current forks and six spoke front wheel, the bike will be of the road until I can get some if it, at least, done.
I want to do the airbox stuff, and the forks and front end, then get it back on the road for a while and then on with the rest.

Game, as they say, on......
A few more pics:
here's my new hoist, which is equally at home lifting the front or back end as it is lifting out an engine-

More anon....
Tony
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Keeping busy this winter tony :lol:

I am liking your plans as always as it give me inspiration to tinker keep up the good work tony :thumbup:
VTRDark

Re: This winter's rebuild and mods

Post by VTRDark »

Lovin the engine hoist. :plainsmile

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Jamoi

Post by Jamoi »

Nice one Tony :thumbup: that's a hefty to-do list. if you wrote all your mods down on paper, I reckon you'd need an engine hoist to lift all the paper!

Those machined stacks are beautiful, such a shame they are hidden :( I might just pretend I have them in my airbox too :lol:

I knew you'd find a way to get that bike in your house! :clap:
Jamie :wave:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Nice inlets :thumbup:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I forgot the oversize inlet valves, I've already gas flowed the heads prior to the machining, and want to try OS inlets, too. Got some already, just need the seats cutting in.

And the ignition advancer, and the hybrid clutch, haven't given up on fixing the clutch grab yet.

Oh, and I think that an electric water pump will release another bhp- that water pump seal is really stiff....
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

tony.mon wrote:That's what the flo-commander is for, to adjust the main air intake to bring the ratio on both cylinders into as good a setting as I can achieve.
bad news for you: From my quick observation, I don't beleive you will be able to use the F-C with the short front stack for the simple reason the the brass main jet air intake fitting and hose will not fit under the mouth of the velocity stack. I think you need a an elbow (brass, 90 degree) fitting for it to fit. If you find one, buy a second for me, will pay you for it immediately (promise!)......
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

exciting times :thumbup: hope it all works.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

mik_str wrote:
tony.mon wrote:That's what the flo-commander is for, to adjust the main air intake to bring the ratio on both cylinders into as good a setting as I can achieve.
bad news for you: From my quick observation, I don't beleive you will be able to use the F-C with the short front stack for the simple reason the the brass main jet air intake fitting and hose will not fit under the mouth of the velocity stack. I think you need a an elbow (brass, 90 degree) fitting for it to fit. If you find one, buy a second for me, will pay you for it immediately (promise!)......
I thought about that, but although an elbow might work, these devices work on air flow.
An internal elbow will restrict the airflow, as it has to fit into the tube, and must have a smaller internal diameter than the tube itself, thereby ruining the whole purpose of the flo commander.
So, I'll have to drill a small hole to allow the tube to exit through the lip of the stack. Not perfect, as it will disturb the airflow slightly, but still overall better than not fitting it at all.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote:A while ago, I was trying to find out why the SP1 made as much more power than a Storm as it does. I had a look at an SP1 engine I bought and the only real difference I couldn't account for was the exhaust port- it's roughly equally spaced between and in front of the two exhaust valves and the Storm ex port is in line with only one of the exhaust valves; the other one is hidden- that can't be good for gas flow.
So I've started a little project- thanks to a fellow member- who has machined the ports out to an oval shape. That, of course, means that I need to manufacture an oval header section, for each cylinder, and while I'm there I may as well make a whole system.

Tony
Now that is what I call impressive Tony, good thinking mate :clap: :clap:

It'll be interesting to see how it all comes together, you have some nice mods there in the pipeline :thumbup:

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Given the volumes of air involved, I would venture to guess that the elbow fitting would have much less effect (proportionately speaking) than would a tube sticking into the airstream of the velocity stack. The airflow here is much more rapid and intense, so the disturbence would be much greater. I base my 'opinion" on notes I rad frodm a chap who did a lot of testing on the airbox/air filter of Porsche racing engines, and who stated that any obstruction within 6-7 cm above and 2 cm below the bellmouth has a discernable and negative effect on airflow (and hence power).....

either way, won't know untill it's been tried.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Loving that hoist!

You guys are full on.

I thought I was obsessed.

Watching this with much interest. :thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
macdee

Post by macdee »

I cant believe Tony is able to hold up the bike with a coat hanger and knicker elastic
told you not to but oh no you knew better
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Hoists are available:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DISABILITY-HO ... 3388276329

£100. Keep your eyes open and you'll find them cheaper.
You can spread the legs apart, too, to miss other bits of equipment, and they're on castors. And although you can get battery powered ones, the manual ones are cheap.

Try hanging around the back door of an old people's home!

Strong enough to lift the whole bike off the ground, and if you lift it, then drop it onto a table, it does the job of a bike lift.
Result.

Just bought myself a little pressie, 'cause I'm wurth it.
http://www.woodcraft-cfm.com/cgi-bin/co ... &key=12-55

Now that's what I call a post.
It has spreading legs, back door, and battery powered all ready to be used as merriment fodder.
The things I do for you lot...... :thumbup: Knock yourselves out.
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Lol, quality post, shame you couldn't make a reference to bazookas in there :wtf:
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!