Air Filter question.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Kev L

Re: Air Filter question.

Post by Kev L »

Nope. Don't recall that train of thought, but that's dementia for you!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
leevtr

Post by leevtr »

Little project for someone. Be interested in the outcome.
" It was 2 minutes 5 minutes ago "
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

I have seen a post on one of the forums where a guy used the standard filter casing and fitted oil able filter foam to it and reported no problems.
When it's time to replace my standard filter I intend to have a go at it myself.

Don't hold your breath on an answer from me though as I am tied up with other sh1t at the moment.

Also as dyno time here in Oz is dear as all feck I would only be able to offer seat of the pants data on wether it's an improvement or not .

It's very interesting that we are all chasing that holy grail of improved performance as we fiddle with our bikes and snub our noses at those that say that we are riding fossils that will never cut it in the real now time world.
I work in the automotive industry here in Oz and can give examples of cars that are more than the sum of their parts and often think that the storm is the same as some of those cars.

A cobble of parts that shouldn't work but do!

I know that their are many people around the world that are further down the road than me, however I don't mind as their hard earned knowledge is a blessing to all that ascribe to making the Storm just that little bit better.
I have spent far too much on my bike because I love it and will never give up on making it more complete.

It's already been a long journey but as the song says "it's only just begun"

sh1t, too much time in the man cave and to many beers!

I think you will get what I am saying.

Hope so! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Now back to the swing arm :biggrin
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I'm still waiting for an old filter to give it a try ;) that a others
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

My BMC street filter is as of now running with an air dam... It's resulted in noticeable better fueling, with fewer dips all over the rev range... Same as the K&N... Been doing that for a fair while...

Basically, swapping in the K&N filter part in the OEM filter is a waste of time and effort... The body is almost the same, apart from a bulge around one of the stacks to allow airflow... And the main drawback of the K&N filter is that it's flowing too much air through the filter part... That's my main grip with it... It gives impovements on top end, and some on the bottom, but you get one or several big holes in the midrange where it leans out the carbs, unless you drown them in fuel, which ends up insanely rich on the top and bottom... I have spent a fair amount of time trying to balance it out, without success...

The BMC race filter is the same, to open... But the BMC street is a good mix for a slightly tuned engine... More flow, but not so much that it creates an imbalance... Cleanable and re-usable like the K&N, and no annoying loose pod block off's... Mikstr did an excellent work of adding that filter to a OEM filter base, to get the bulge over the stack, which I have copied... End result, the ultimate filter as far as I can see...

i can produce dyno data if you really need it, but as of now I'm to farking busy to play with something that works... :wink:
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Thanks Markus, I will have a go at fitting the dam to my BMC filter
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

lloydie wrote:I'm still waiting for an old filter to give it a try ;) that a others
You only had to ask...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Not sure I like the idea of a vertical dam in the air flow, that's got to create lots of turbulence.
One at 45 degrees might be more effective- I have some spare filters and will have a little play next time I'm on a dyno, nothing planned until next year, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

MacV2 wrote:
lloydie wrote:I'm still waiting for an old filter to give it a try ;) that a others
You only had to ask...
i did but not you lol :roll: i will ask in the new year :thumbup: