dont knock it till youve tried it

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
buzzard

dont knock it till youve tried it

Post by buzzard »

you know i hear a lot of stuff about air filters,and alot of it is hype,an air filter filters the air,and depending on the density of it,causes resistance in air flow,you want your bike to breathe better and therefore go better,leave the filters out,put mesh covered bellmouths on,up the main jet approx 15%(bit of trial and error there),aftermarket cans,and watch it fly!
Very funny Scotty...now beam down my clothes
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hay Buzz
are you keeping the airbox with this mod?

Pete.l
buzzard

Post by buzzard »

probably best keeping the airbox on (less air turbulance around the bellmouths)and less chance of sucking things into the bellmouths,like pigeons...pedestrians..
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

'tis true. You might also have to up the grade of spark plug too. Not normally a prob but have had to do it in the past.
Squiffythewombat

Post by Squiffythewombat »

the irridum plugs are pretty good, i actually noticed the differnet when mine were fitted.....my 2pence
Squiffy_The_Wombat

Eagles may soar but wombats dont get sucked into jet engines!!
bluesman

Re: dont knock it till youve tried it

Post by bluesman »

buzzard wrote:you know i hear a lot of stuff about air filters,and alot of it is hype,an air filter filters the air,and depending on the density of it,causes resistance in air flow,you want your bike to breathe better and therefore go better,leave the filters out,put mesh covered bellmouths on,up the main jet approx 15%(bit of trial and error there),aftermarket cans,and watch it fly!

I am VERY interested...do you happen to plan Dyno run? If so - please, please - post results here! For last 3 months I am lookig for way to get rid ofairbox or at least top of it (want to install VFR tank, but airbox cover a bit in a way). But always getting held back by all that horror about airbox effects on engine characteristics...
Would be great if you will be able to tell effect on fuel consumption...pleeease?
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

bluesman wrote: For last 3 months I am lookig for way to get rid ofairbox or at least top of it (want to install VFR tank, but airbox cover a bit in a way).
Rather than mess about with the airbox, try taking a hammer to the underside of the VFR tank
Sure it'll lose a bit of capacity but its a lot easier than messing around with the fuelling

Ben
bluesman

Post by bluesman »

Stormin Ben wrote:
bluesman wrote: For last 3 months I am lookig for way to get rid ofairbox or at least top of it (want to install VFR tank, but airbox cover a bit in a way).
Rather than mess about with the airbox, try taking a hammer to the underside of the VFR tank
Sure it'll lose a bit of capacity but its a lot easier than messing around with the fuelling

Ben
I know, I know...I got VFR tank idea from US forum, there they actually did that. And I quickly got myself cheap and mint VFR tank (off eBay, with great help of somebody from Hornet's Nest). But I don't like that tank messing idea. :cry:
Just does not fit into "clean job" principle I am using normally. Plus - inevitably one day I will want to give engine a bit more punch, and then I will end up messing about same stuff...
4 wheels moving body, 2 wheels moving soul
buzzard

Post by buzzard »

Ok,last thing first :lol: fuel consumption will go up,you will also need a friendly bike shop,they will let you exchange the jets if the last ones you bought aint spot on,
take the filter out(i,m assuming you have aftermarket cans)up the main jets 15%, take bike out,get up to the "useful "rev range 7-8000,go about half a mile,take plugs out look at colour,if its brownish,thats what you want, if its white,its running too weak,up the jet again,if its sooty black its too rich,go down one..This may be an oversimplification,these are just guidelines,but it does work,
Dont forget to put some kind of cover over intakes,mesh,gauze,whatever
BarryH

Post by BarryH »

Just a tip. For the gauze over the bellmouth's go nick a pair of the otherhlaves tights. Cut to the required size and fix in place with a zip tie or lock wire. Stops nasties getting in thru the induction but flows air freely.

Now watch all the fallout from that suggestion!!