cyclist nobheads

General Biker Banter
callam_nffc

Re: cyclist nobheads

Post by callam_nffc »

Also theres not a cat in hells chance id ride a cycle around those roads, I felt vulnerable enough on a motorbike even

Saying that I wouldnt want to commute in most modern citites on a cycle
CBR125 - XJ600S DIVERSION - YZF600R THUNDERCAT - VTR1000 FIRESTORM
I still crave a supermoto...
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Try this Callum - it kind of shows a snippet of the situation on our roads at the moment for all users, I post with no bias btw and echo the sentiments of the person who uploaded the video

"Here are some clips of my worst experiences with HGVs/buses. Most HGV/bus drivers are excellent. I experience more positive interactions with them than negative. Unfortunately there are a few that tarnish the majority.

The same can be said of cyclists. The majority are good. A few brake the rules. The big difference is that a bad cyclist will not kill (but perhaps get themselves killed). On the other hand that bad cyclist that jumped the red light might have actually done themselves a favour, getting away from that bad HGV driver behind. I know a lot of RLJing cyclists use this as an excuse, not something I agree with though"

[youtube][/youtube]
thumperslaw

Post by thumperslaw »

I ride motorcycles,drive cars,use push bikes.

I can say that people who cycle (more club runs) are the worst for it
I live in Oxford and in my shop (I work in a cycle shop) most of the bikes are so unsafe you wounded why they have hit a car or some thing
98 storm with goodies!

Srad seven fiddy stuntbike

K100 "flying brick"

R.I.P engine number 5
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

This is from a bloke on the G+ Cycling UK Group - echoes what most of us think and would want, except over here we argue and blame and dont have the government will to see sense like they did in Denmark eons ago it seems so that things are second nature

"As an outsider living in UK it seems like there is a huge gap between the cyclists' and the motorists' perception of how, where and why cyclists are placed as they are in traffic.

The main problem - as I see it - is the total lack of rules and rights for cyclists and partly pedestrians.

In Denmark(where I'm from) children learn from the start how to behave in traffic, and the motorists learn how to take care of cyclists.

And when both parties obey the same set of rules there are very few problems in sharing the road.

I'm not saying that motorists in Denmark are perfect - they are not - but the fact that they at some point have learnt first how to cycle in traffic and then as motorist how to deal with cyclists in traffic makes the whole motorist vs. cyclist problem less edgy.

First thing to do is legislation and education of cyclists and motorists.
Then better infrastructure - but that's an entirely different post :o)

P.S.: Cycling tests are held every year in schools to make kids better cyclists."

:thumbup:
geodude

Post by geodude »

It's already in our schools (if schools chose to do it)

Ethan did this last year - http://bikeability.dft.gov.uk/the-three-levels/level-2/
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
Ges

Post by Ges »

Good start
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

At the end of the day what it boils down to is two things.

Education and road design.

First of its to easy to go out without any kind of education and ride a push bike on the public roads, motorcycles used to be lax, education never stopped people dying but at least it gave people a fighting chance, push bikes in my opinion should be legislated and for good reasons.

Secondly and lastly, what people on push bike have to remember is that our road system was never built to cater for push bikes, so don't expect them to be open for you're use like the were designed with that in mind, sitting behind a push bike on a road that is not designed to cater for them whilst the fellah pushes 5 mph is probably one of the most frustrating things to be doing, including horses, horse 'n' carriage and milkmen.

so don't be supprised when people get angry.
geodude

Post by geodude »

I started typing a response that was much different than this one, and then thought what's the point in responding to ignorance, so changed it to this one :D
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
geodude

Post by geodude »

It boils down to one thing actually " tolerance!" :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

StormingHonda wrote:At the end of the day what it boils down to is two things.

First of its to easy to go out without any kind of education and ride a push bike on the public roads, motorcycles used to be lax, education never stopped people dying but at least it gave people a fighting chance, push bikes in my opinion should be legislated and for good reasons.

Secondly and lastly, what people on push bike have to remember is that our road system was never built to cater for push bikes, so don't expect them to be open for you're use like the were designed with that in mind, sitting behind a push bike on a road that is not designed to cater for them whilst the fellah pushes 5 mph is probably one of the most frustrating things to be doing, including horses, horse 'n' carriage and milkmen.

AFAIK Cyclists are legally entitled to ride on most roads except motorways http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/28446017. Funnily enogh I often get shouted at by bimbling walkers on shared cycle paths that I should be riding on the road... Then when on the road I have been driven at by cars on the wrong side of the road and when I don't back out their way get shouted at. Not much one can say back to these folk except I wish I had an onboard camera to capture their rants for posterity on wootube.

There is a class of S-pedelec electric bicycle which gives moped type performance (+15.5mph assisted power) which technically requires registration, number plates, lights, mirrors, helmet and insurance to be used on the roads (not cycle paths). Popular on the continent but there is little or no administrative provision for them here in the UK for them though they can be bought here. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/guides/s-pedelec/
If a person has 'anger issues' with other legitimate road users then there are various strategies they can use to help keep calm:

Road Rage

Before You Set Off
  • When we are emotionally upset or psychologically caught up in something else, we are not able to give the road our full attention and so, do not drive safely. Try to ensure you are in a calm, good mood before driving.

Plan time into journeys in case you are delayed by traffic; this can help to alleviate the pressure you feel if you’re running late.
During Your Journey
  • Whilst driving do not over-react to, or panic about, another driver’s error, bad driving or poor attitude. They may be unaware of their actions. Try to stay away from them and concentrate on driving well and within the law.

Avoid getting into conflict with another driver. There will be some bad drivers who are looking for a reaction or conflict. “Competing” with another driver could lead to the incident becoming serious. Keep your mind focused on your driving.

Stay calm and think logically – when confronted by an irate driver don’t engage in gestures, headlight flashing or sounding the horn as this will serve no purpose and may exacerbate the situation. It will also distract you. Concentrate on driving responsibly.

Refrain from eye contact with an angry or aggressive driver as this has the potential to make the situation worse.

If you find you are being followed by an impatient driver (tailgated) – do not allow yourself to be "pushed" along, intimidated or made to increase your speed. Without actually pulling over or stopping – find a safe opportunity to allow that driver to pass. Circumnavigating a roundabout to enable a tailgater to get past you will add little time to your journey but can make a significant difference to stress levels.

If you find that you are being persistently followed by an aggressive driver – try to make your way to a public place, police station or busy street and if necessary call the police. Do not allow an aggressive driver to follow you home.

Under no circumstances should you endanger your safety or well-being by getting out of the car to deal with an angry or aggressive driver. If confronted with a road rage situation remain in the car with the windows closed and door locked. If necessary, call for help on a mobile phone (not while driving).

If you accidentally cause another driver to become angry – hold up your whole hand as a friendly acknowledgement of your mistake – this can diffuse the situation.

If your mood is affected by an incident during your journey, once you have moved away from any danger, find an opportunity to stop and take time out.

Focus on the present and your driving rather than the destination or purpose of the journey.
http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advicea ... -rage.aspx
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

good advice wicky...... :thumbup:
although your not allowed to call the police unless you use a hands free device.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
we all need to learn to get along and not be so angry and impatient.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Feck me, wise words from a London black cab driver famous for making a moped rider perform to full rotations with pike by swinging him by the chin bar of his crash hat!!!!! Yep, we all need to get on! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Happy New Year madame mart
:beer:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Wicky wrote:
StormingHonda wrote:At the end of the day what it boils down to is two things.

AFAIK Cyclists are legally entitled to ride on most roads except motorways http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/28446017. Funnily enogh I often get shouted at by bimbling walkers on shared cycle paths that I should be riding on the road... Then when on the road I have been driven at by cars on the wrong side of the road and when I don't back out their way get shouted at. Not much one can say back to these folk except I wish I had an onboard camera to capture their rants for posterity on wootube.

There is a class of S-pedelec electric bicycle which gives moped type performance (+15.5mph assisted power) which technically requires registration, number plates, lights, mirrors, helmet and insurance to be used on the roads (not cycle paths). Popular on the continent but there is little or no administrative provision for them here in the UK for them though they can be bought here. http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/guides/s-pedelec/
If a person has 'anger issues' with other legitimate road users then there are various strategies they can use to help keep calm:

Road Rage

Before You Set Off
  • When we are emotionally upset or psychologically caught up in something else, we are not able to give the road our full attention and so, do not drive safely. Try to ensure you are in a calm, good mood before driving.

Plan time into journeys in case you are delayed by traffic; this can help to alleviate the pressure you feel if you’re running late.
During Your Journey
  • Whilst driving do not over-react to, or panic about, another driver’s error, bad driving or poor attitude. They may be unaware of their actions. Try to stay away from them and concentrate on driving well and within the law.

Avoid getting into conflict with another driver. There will be some bad drivers who are looking for a reaction or conflict. “Competing” with another driver could lead to the incident becoming serious. Keep your mind focused on your driving.

Stay calm and think logically – when confronted by an irate driver don’t engage in gestures, headlight flashing or sounding the horn as this will serve no purpose and may exacerbate the situation. It will also distract you. Concentrate on driving responsibly.

Refrain from eye contact with an angry or aggressive driver as this has the potential to make the situation worse.

If you find you are being followed by an impatient driver (tailgated) – do not allow yourself to be "pushed" along, intimidated or made to increase your speed. Without actually pulling over or stopping – find a safe opportunity to allow that driver to pass. Circumnavigating a roundabout to enable a tailgater to get past you will add little time to your journey but can make a significant difference to stress levels.

If you find that you are being persistently followed by an aggressive driver – try to make your way to a public place, police station or busy street and if necessary call the police. Do not allow an aggressive driver to follow you home.

Under no circumstances should you endanger your safety or well-being by getting out of the car to deal with an angry or aggressive driver. If confronted with a road rage situation remain in the car with the windows closed and door locked. If necessary, call for help on a mobile phone (not while driving).

If you accidentally cause another driver to become angry – hold up your whole hand as a friendly acknowledgement of your mistake – this can diffuse the situation.

If your mood is affected by an incident during your journey, once you have moved away from any danger, find an opportunity to stop and take time out.

Focus on the present and your driving rather than the destination or purpose of the journey.
http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advicea ... -rage.aspx
totally missed the point/s.

But then your just trying to be funny aren't you.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Kev L wrote:Feck me, wise words from a London black cab driver famous for making a moped rider perform to full rotations with pike by swinging him by the chin bar of his crash hat!!!!! Yep, we all need to get on! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Happy New Year madame mart
:beer:
happy new year to you as well sweetie poppit.......... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

push bikes in my opinion should be legislated and for good reasons.
Well what are your good reasons?

What are the advantages in making it a requirement for bicycle riders to have a licence, bikes to have compulsory licence plates, pay road tax, MOT & insurance, apart from make make jobs at DVLA and insurance companies? How do encourage kids to get into two wheels (and become proto-motorcyclists), encourage cheap form of commuting & leisure riding? Will all the bureaucracy you propose make the angry car drivers calmer when confronted by 5mph uphill riders because they see a registration plate on the push bike?

Heck us motorcyclists have all that bureaucracy thrown at us - and we still generally ride to the bike's advantages and capabilities over cage drivers - filtering, overtaking - going at a speed and doing manoeuvres where appropriate which a car driver wouldn't or can't consider. Do you think your proposals would make cyclists ride like good little obedient car drivers?

There aren't the police patrols on the roads anymore as they've been replaces by speed cameras - should speed cameras be programmed to force cyclists to keep to a max/min speed ? which would be feasible if bicycles were forced to have number plates.

What do you think the reaction would be from cycling industry via pressure groups to your proposals if taken onboard by government? I'd imagine they'd go quite French/MAG and shut down city centres by mass rideout demonstrations.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts