Anyone tried Tyre Slime to repair puncture?

General Bike chat
Wicky

Re: Anyone tried Tyre Slime to repair puncture?

Post by Wicky »

Image - On the Slime site they state:
Since Slime is a liquid, it may cause vibration in your vehicle’s suspension. For this reason, we recommend that it be used as an emergency repair ... HAVE TREATED TIRE INSPECTED BY A QUALIFIED TIRE PROFESSIONAL AS POSSIBLE AFTER PUNCTURE OCCURS.
It is a temporary quick emergency repair solution to get you home. Otherwise continue riding on the damaged tyre at your peril as the tyre is all that is between your nice shiny bike and the unforgiving tarmac.

Please get is professionally looked at at a tyre shop and properly repaired if possible or replaced. :thumbup:
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts

Post by Image »

The stuff I've used is called Goop and says will not cause any vibration up to speeds of 165mph and does not leave any residue on the wheel rim when tyre removed. It also says guaranteed to last the life of the tyre with no noticeable effects on handling and with 80% less chance of further punctures.
I went to Squires yesterday and did 125 mph with no noticeable vibration. The only thing I did notice was balance wobble on tight cornering but I had a newbie pillion. Tried it today over Woodhead Pass single up in the wet with no probs. we'll see how things go as the tyre has only done 800 miles and has loads of tread.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Image wrote:....guaranteed .... no noticeable effects on handling...
The storms back wheel slid and fishtailed wildly
did 125 mph... The only thing I did notice was balance wobble on tight cornering but I had a newbie pillion.
:crazy: :whatever
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Post by Image »

The fishtail instance was a head on with a car and a real life emergency stop so a fishtail not necessarily a blame on the tyre. The wobble on the tyre was so slight I'm not even sure it was really there.
I think I need to give the bike a good rag solo over Woodhead to truely judge but far too wet today to do that.
I tried this product on a ZX9 rear tyre and it was brilliant. Lasted the life of the tyre and couldn't tell it was there. Not so good when I tried it in the front one though.
alan g

Post by alan g »

Put some Holts tyre weld in a flat tyre recently the tyre was only a week old and the tyre repair shop would not repair it because of the tyre weld , according to him the stuff stops the glue from going off and he was not a allowed to repair the tyre'
The manufactures of the tyre weld don't give any recommendations other than saying that it is approved by the tyre flitting guild,
So it had to be a new tyre or nothing.

Post by Image »

Yeah, I'll see how it handles on a good thrashing then either replace it or live with it until the tread has worn a bit.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Do you know where on the tyre the puncture occurred and if it has damaged a structurally critical area?

Beleif

Post by Beleif »

I used slime years ago on my CBR600. It definitely did the job and I think I accumulated several punctures but it lasted even when tyre was worn through to canvas.

I would describe my attitude then as reckless. I like the self-tapper advice. I usually carry an aerosol tyre repair on long trips now.