Free Play In Clutch Lever

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Dr B1G

Free Play In Clutch Lever

Post by Dr B1G »

Hi Peeps
Just wondered if you could help me... My bike has only been stood idle for about 4 weeks and I've found I have free play (about an inch) in my clutch lever before I feel resistance.
Ive noticed that the reservoir was empty so this looks like my problem, I have topped it back up but do I need to bleed it again ?

Is there a simple method, or do I have to bleed the system completely?
(btw the clutch still works it just feels very different)

thanks in advance
Jamoi

Re: Free Play In Clutch Lever

Post by Jamoi »

Hey Dr B1G, as a precautionary measure I'd just bleed it fully (not as vital as brakes, but would be a real pita if your clutch stopped working while out for a ride), you could try taking the resivoir cap off and pumping slowly until all the bubbles clear from the top section, but the air may have crept a bit further down the system.

It's not as bad a job as some people make out ;)
Jamie :wave:
Serlant

Post by Serlant »

if its just a case of resevoir running out of fluid I doubt you will get rid of the air from the bottom bleed nipple, I would put some tissue around the clutch master cylinder banjo, pull the clutch in, then crack the banjo loose then tighten it back up again right away. this will get rid of any air trapped there.
darkember

Post by darkember »

Serlant wrote:if its just a case of resevoir running out of fluid I doubt you will get rid of the air from the bottom bleed nipple, I would put some tissue around the clutch master cylinder banjo, pull the clutch in, then crack the banjo loose then tighten it back up again right away. this will get rid of any air trapped there.
Following on from the above. With the master reservoir cap still off loosen the bleed nipple on the slave cylinder & keep pumping till all air bubbles are removed from the whole line. Note don't allow the master reservoir level to drop too far as you are pumping. Easier with an accomplice helping you.
Dr B1G

Post by Dr B1G »

Thx for your replies gents, I will research your theories and let you know the outcome :beer:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

As the level in the reservoir has dropped the missing hydraulic fluid presumably must be going somewhere? If after topping it up it drops again check the slave cylinder and seals for any leaks of fluid which can be apparent around the drive sprocket and side-stand area. Usually a new seal sorts it or sometimes grit can get caught in the seal and scores the slave cylinder.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Dr B1G

Post by Dr B1G »

I have just gave the clutch lever a few "pumps" and saw lots of air bubbles come through the reservoir, and the clutch feels normal now.
As wicky says there must be a leak somewhere, I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

Thanks again lads
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

One possibility is that you or a po has fitted a replacement bleed nipple.
I've know one or two that leak, and allow air in.
This doesn't explain fluid leaks, though....
The usual cause of a fluid drop in the slave cylinder seal.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Serlant

Post by Serlant »

as has been said, I hve had a slave cylinder go on my vtr, also as they say it must be going somewhere, so does the slave cylinder/rear sprocket area look wet? any drips? I thought at first it was oil from the scott oiler, turns out it was brake fluid from the clutch slave cylinder.