i need help

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: i need help

Post by Pete.L »

I've just remembered I had a simular problem on mine when I was playing with a lot of carb settings.
Mine was more of a surge than a judder though, when trying to hold steady revs in the lower gears. Once satisfied all the vacuum pipes and fittings are all sealed and in the right place have a good look at the rear exhaust gasket by the shock absorber. Check it for leaks.
I managed to blow mine out once when setting up the carbs. Between your now clean K&N and a lack of back pressure (if it's blown) it could be running too lean at the bottom end causing it to judder.
cybercarl wrote:Oh and if memory serves, you can disconnect the TPS and the bike will still run okay but it's just not very crisp.
That's why I said disconnect it, to to prove it makes very little differance proving the fault most likely does not lay with that.
Yes you did. I must have missed that line first time around :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

exhaust gaskets are new all way round ....
and today will change all pipes and tighten seal all vacum bolts
Aha you know what it is black and yellow...black and yellow !!!
MJONESY

Post by MJONESY »

I would try a standard air filter if i were you, mine rode similarly with a kandn the carbs were not set up for it and it just never seemed to like the extra airflow. More air going in is only any use if you can get the right ratio of fuel to go in with it.

may have been ok when it was dirty and a little more restrictive.
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

acording to bike history the carbs have been tunned to work with k&n
but then again its just a piece a paper so i might give it a go with standard after im done replacing stuff im in middle of doing
thanks for all the help
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

ok so took nipple off and put bolt back on
changed all hoses vacum and fuel
bike seems to work ok in 3rd but judders in 4th!!!!
and its also much more responsive on throttle as it lifts up very easy 8O (sh1t my pants setting off from light on back wheel :lol: )
if any of you are localish and have some spare time plz come round to have a look for yourselves (if weather ok il do a barbeque)
its doing my head in now and my local garage is packed with bikes until end of jan :roll:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

This makes no sense.
Engine performance is rev-related, not gear-related.
The only thing that could mean that you are ok in one gear and not in another is a gearbox problem.
However a gearbox issue wouldn't go away with vac lines or carb adjustments, as it's purely mechanical.

:think:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

I know but it still does it I'm debating if I should take carbs off and change jets or smth
its nothing to do with gear box its all in the carbs somewhere but just can't seem to find it...and its driving me nuts it has to be an adjustment somewhere but where?
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

it has to be an adjustment somewhere but where?
A lean stumble is a possibility, especially as we are getting into the colder months. If you don't want to go stripping carbs down, investigating as to what your setup is, then I suggest richening the mixture 1/4 turn out at the fuel mixture screws at the base of the carbs. Have you tried pulling the choke out a little, and I mean a little, roughly a 1/16 -1/8 of the way out to see if things improve. If you pull it out too far then you will just get the complete opposite and flood it.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
darkember

Post by darkember »

I still think before adjusting the mixture screws would be to check what jets you have fitted by actually seeing them, at the same time check the needle settings
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

i dont really want to take carbs in bits as thats one area im not good at..... :confused
didnt had a chance to go out today after checking again all pipes and rest but will do tomorrow and il try the choke bit and see if anything changes....
popkat

Post by popkat »

Not trying to be patronising but what revs and speed is it juddering in 4th, are you sure your not just riding it at too low revs ?
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

I was doing about 70-80
I can't even do low revs in 4th its like riding a donkey..
Serlant

Post by Serlant »

Just thought i'd add that I rode about 60 miles with the front cylinder vacuum port open at atmosphere, all I noticed was a slightly rougher idle, and backfiring on the overrun, this was what initially tipped me off, any time i closed the throttle it popped and banged like a machine gun.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yep you do !!
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

i finally managed to get the donkey out today
pulled choke out a little and it had improved the juddering vanished but as soon as i put choke back in it started again....
so could be a mixture issue???